Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  20:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a few notes for those planning to attend:

1. No Chalet use this year. We will have registration in the tent. You can go to the bathroom the bushes or there is a lovely port-a-potty for those who don't like bushes.

2. I'm going to need help. I could use the help of someone who can help with registration. Technical inspection and timing of the 200M.

3. Along with no chalet, there is no fancy PA system, so If someone has something that will do the job then please bring it. Otherwise there will be lots of yelling.

4. Weather is looking good.

warren
human power expert

USA
6424 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  10:24:09  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sean, We will have access to power, right?
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
334 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  18:09:57  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
does that mean that camping will be unpleasant?

http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/category/hpv/
Go to Top of Page

Piranha
recumbent enthusiast

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  21:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Piranha's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sean,

I can bring my PA amplifier with a bullhorn type speaker. If there is no power access, I can bring a deep-cycle battery and inverter (this is the Kenosha back-up system).

Dan G.
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
814 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  06:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jnyyz

does that mean that camping will be unpleasant?

You can still talk your way into the pool locker room, so all is not lost.

Edited by - delcrossv on 07/11/2013 06:51:40
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  06:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Chalet has an outdoor quad power outlet next to the South door that we have used before. I'll go over today an verify that it is still powered and notify if it is not. I have a generator if needed.

I've been told that bathrooms are also available at the pool next door. I guess you just have to ask the teenager at the counter for permission. You can also get a non-resident daily pool pass (for shower access) for the following fees:

Daily Admission Fees
Daily Fees Resident Non-Resident
Youth (ages 2-17) $6 $8
Adult (ages 18-64) $7 $9
Senior (ages 65+) $6 $8
Twilight Fees (After 5pm)
Youth (ages 2-17) $4 $6
Adult (ages 18-64) $5 $7
Senior (ages 65+) $4 $6

Campers do so at their own risk. There have not been problems in previous years but I suspect that asking permission may not be such a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
814 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  07:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean costin

Campers do so at their own risk. There have not been problems in previous years but I suspect that asking permission may not be such a good idea.

If you don't ask, they don't have the opportunity to say no.

Sean, based on what Dan's saying I may be able to launch/catch for you.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
recumbent guru

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  13:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sean,

I'll help with Tech Inspection.

Chris

quote:

Just a few notes for those planning to attend:

1. No Chalet use this year. We will have registration in the tent. You can go to the bathroom the bushes or there is a lovely port-a-potty for those who don't like bushes.

2. I'm going to need help. I could use the help of someone who can help with registration. Technical inspection and timing of the 200M.

3. Along with no chalet, there is no fancy PA system, so If someone has something that will do the job then please bring it. Otherwise there will be lots of yelling.

4. Weather is looking good.

Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  18:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked and there is plenty of electric power at the track on the South Side of the track.

Mike Mowett made a new easy read lap counter for this event. I cant wait to watch it work. Thanks Mike

[URL=http://s274.photobucket.com/user/scostin/media/Lapcounter_zps74797f17.jpg.html][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  03:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New records to consider for this weekend

The WRRA has just ratified 2 new masters records for Phil Plath.
Congratulations Phil!

> 6/7/2013
>
> Hellyer velodrome San Jose , CA
>
> Masters Kilo 1:13.61
>
> Masters 200M 12.11 seconds

Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  03:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WATER:
Since we will not have a water fountain- if anyone wants to bring a sizeable jug we can put that out for public use. Please respond to this thread if you will be doing it so we dont have multiples.

Thanks
Sean
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3860 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  05:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll bring first-aide kit (only 2 months old - bought for Waterford, and not used yet).
Also I have pylons and flags.
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  07:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
We have flags. You can keep them at home.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
814 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  07:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

WATER:
Since we will not have a water fountain- if anyone wants to bring a sizeable jug we can put that out for public use. Please respond to this thread if you will be doing it so we dont have multiples.

Thanks
Sean

I have one 3 gal jug I'll bring but you'll need more than that.
Go to Top of Page

Piranha
recumbent enthusiast

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  10:44:17  Show Profile  Visit Piranha's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will try to remember to bring to NB the couple gallon one we use for Kenosha.

Dan G.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6424 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  19:04:29  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a great HPRA racing weekend at the Northbrook, IL and Kenosha, WI veodromes. There were 13 streamliners in the 100 lap faired class race! That is a new record! I brought out the Cuda-W and had a good 200M sprint and then had a good 100 lap race. I averaged 35MPH, which was good for 2nd place behind Todd Reichert, the pilot of the U of T human powered helicopter that just won the Sikorsky prize. He also set a new track record in the U of T Vortex speedbike for the 100 lap race by a small margin at 36.6 MPH. Actual bikes speeds were a couple MPH faster as track speeds are calculated for the inside lines and the faster bikes are passing so much that they are nearly always far outside that lne.

After the 100 lap streamliner race I hopped on my dual 700C lowrace for the stock race. I was really toasted from the streamliner race, so for the first 20 laps or so I had a hard time staying above 20 MPH. Then I was passed by John Burrell on his Morciglio M1 and suddenly I had the energy to hop into his draft. We had good fun trading drafting back and forth for the next 30 laps. According to the results I averaged over 25MPH, which is better than I expected, but only good for 5th place. The jury is still out on the dual 700 bike, though it is fast I don't know if it's faster than the Nocom. I will do some tweaking and try it again.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  19:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 to Warren's comments on the Northbrook races. I had not raced a streamliner here in many years. I soon discovered that I needed even more clearance on the front wheel fairing that what I had ground off and I was just pedaling in the straights and coasting around the turns to stabilize the pedal wiggling so I could lean to the very edge of rubbing the pavement. It was intense with so many streamliners. Very exciting and super sweaty!

Todd Reichert had the Vortex tuned to perfection and showed up in great shape from all the helicopter preparation. I caught back up to Warren but picked up the pace at the end and I could not take the turns at his speed and he left me in the dust.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6424 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  19:30:08  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sean was super smooth in his Nocom-kneepopper-liner. He is only going to get faster in it as he tunes it for HPRA racing.

Chris Cortex posted a bunch of pix in FB for those of you who do that.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152077983414778&set=a.10151484760374778.585122.544544777&type=1&theater
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  19:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad I brough the old Coslinger up to race. It was super fun. And I saved enough energy to do a 26:07 at the 20km TT in Kokomo. At 28.5 mph I finally join the 28 Club. Yay.
Go to Top of Page

randy
recumbent guru

729 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  10:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

I am glad I brough the old Coslinger up to race. It was super fun. And I saved enough energy to do a 26:07 at the 20km TT in Kokomo. At 28.5 mph I finally join the 28 Club. Yay.

That's great, Thom. Gonna have to start calling you E.P.Ohlinger if you get any faster
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
814 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  11:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warren

Sean was super smooth in his Nocom-kneepopper-liner. He is only going to get faster in it as he tunes it for HPRA racing.

Chris Cortex posted a bunch of pix in FB for those of you who do that.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152077983414778&set=a.10151484760374778.585122.544544777&type=1&theater

Link doesn't work (content unavailable)
Go to Top of Page

lewy
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  11:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you warren and all involved in presenting the Northbrook race.At 70 I can cross racing on a velodrome off my bucket list LOL.I am sorry my perfect record of 1 race 1 gold medal this year is over but what a great event.As an old gear head it was erie to see the liners come into the the last turn at +- 40mph 4 wide sometimes,then glide by almost silently.I am going to work on my pacing and hopefully Mike will only lap me every 4 laps instead of 3 if I make it to Cedar Rapids.Sorry to here Sean crashed his beautiful streamliner Sun. The frontal area seems amazingly small in person compared to pics. and I'm sure he will get nothing but faster with fine tuning.Thanks again to everyone for a great summer day.
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1786 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  12:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cortez link works if you log in to Face Book.

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
334 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  12:32:22  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone for a fun weekend; my first time at either event

words and pictures here:

http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/racing-at-northbrook-and-kenosha/

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  12:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Randy. Funny, too. But your 20k is still way faster.
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
814 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  14:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jnyyz

thanks everyone for a fun weekend; my first time at either event

words and pictures here:

http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/racing-at-northbrook-and-kenosha/