Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

warren
human power expert

USA
4900 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  10:56:00  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been working for a while on a replacement for my NoCom handlebars. I think almost every NoCom I have seen has different handlebars.

LZ - U bars
AA - Remote steering
Sean - Super narrow short tiller
Thom - Super narrow short tiller
Warren - Stock tiller bars

Each type of handlebar has it's pros and cons. U bars for instance, give a high level of control ability, but at the cost of some aerodynamics.

With the stock handlebars on my NoCom, my arms are down at my sides, and tend to stick out and flap around while I race.

I built some handlebars for the NoCom that are shorter and narrower.

The new bars keep my arms more in the wind shadow of my legs, and raise my elbows to they are tight against my body. I think this will help.

The one issue I am dealing with now is the brakes. The spiffy bar end handles I am using do not have enough pull to activate the disk brakes, so I'm going to use Travel Agents to fix that issue.

Hopefully I will have time this weekend to work on it more.

-Warren.

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1457 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  12:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I think it's kinda' neat how you PhotoShopped a change of color on your clothing from the first picture to the second! ;-)

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2467 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  14:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks better, Warren. Because I have to hold my legs out a little, I am building a narrower set. Maybe you could do a pictoral comparison between the all the NoComs and M1s.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3463 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  15:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garrie L Hill

Well, I think it's kinda' neat how you PhotoShopped a change of color on your clothing from the first picture to the second! ;-)

Garrie
I think something moved too behind that curtain! watch out Warren! I would like a different set of handlebars too. John built an excellent "pistol grip" design that tucks the hands below the stem, and keeps the elbows bent and tucked in. However I think that Thom and Sean have the faster design with arms out straight and above the stem. While it might seem that the hands are now up in the airstream, they are creating a partial draft for the face, and the torso can allow air to get flow off it, instead of getting trapped at the elbows tucked against the body. When i ride with my elbows off my body with my current handlebar set up, I feel that I am going faster, because I'm not trapping air in a "parachute" with my elbows bent in close to my torso.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4900 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  18:12:46  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thom, your bars are pretty narrow now! Any narrower and you will need to remove a hand.
Go to Top of Page

PoiterH

Australia
64 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  19:56:11  Show Profile  Visit PoiterH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warren
[brI am using do not have enough pull to activate the disk brakes, so I'm going to use Travel Agents to fix that issue.

Or you could swap out the AVID calipers for Road versions which require less cable pull.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2467 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  05:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see Peter Heal over here. Get it dialed in, Warren. Three weeks to the big race.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4900 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  06:47:49  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pete, If the travel agents are too spongy I will look into the road calipers. I see that Avid does make road calipers, cool. Amazon Link Then I can use my old NoCom calipers to upgrade the cheeseball front disk caliper on my "daily driver", the cuda-e.

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 08/03/2012 06:52:44
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2302 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  07:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe. I use TT bar end brake levers and road disc brake calipers and they're isn't enough cable pull from the levers to make the calipers compress the pads very well. I just live with it because I never have to brake hard on the TT bikes. (not yet, anyway...)

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

W Hilgenberg
recumbent enthusiast

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  08:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sram Red Hydraulic. Or Parabox converter. Or Hope V-Twin. Then you'll stop real fast!
Go to Top of Page

airxxxwolf

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  08:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren,
I use a Travel Agent on the front disc brake of my NoCom. If you do the same, you will find that the brake cable does not like to be wrapped around the small pulleys of the Travel Agent. I solved this problem by using shift cables on my brakes and after 3 years its still working extremely well. I still use brake cable housing on the bike, because with the extra room between the thinner shift cable and the brake housing I get no binding at all and the brakes feel absolutely fantastic. I`ll be at the Ohio TT if you want to check it out....

Don Smith
BBM Racing Components
bbmracing@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4900 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  08:53:53  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is an interesting solution Don.

I had a problem where the brake cable I was using was too large to fit into the tiny hole in the travel agent where the cable goes from the small pulley to the large one. My solution was to drill the hole a bit larger. Fail. I then went out and got a new brake cable that was slightly smaller to use with one of the travel agents that I had not destroyed.

I can probably make an adapter to allow derailleur cable ends to adapt to MTB brake cable ends, unless you know of another solution there?

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Runxner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  09:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren you can solder your own cables ends on. I've done a custom length clutch cabel for my motorcycle.

Team Low-Life
Lowracer Test Pilot/Evangelist
Adelaide, Australia
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2467 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  14:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard that the fast guys ditch the disk and use a drum brake wheel. Possibly just a rumor....
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4900 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  15:15:09  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe some day I will have drum brakes like the cool kids.
Go to Top of Page

airxxxwolf

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  03:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warren

That is an interesting solution Don.

I had a problem where the brake cable I was using was too large to fit into the tiny hole in the travel agent where the cable goes from the small pulley to the large one. My solution was to drill the hole a bit larger. Fail. I then went out and got a new brake cable that was slightly smaller to use with one of the travel agents that I had not destroyed.

I can probably make an adapter to allow derailleur cable ends to adapt to MTB brake cable ends, unless you know of another solution there?

-Warren.

Warren,
I didn`t fabricate any kind of adapter for the cable ends....they work with my Avid brake levers "as is".

Don Smith
BBM Racing Components
bbmracing@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

rzon
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  13:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://s1049.photobucket.com/albums/s384/rzonrzon/?action=view¤t=brakelevers002.jpg I would think this type of brake lever would be a good fit.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power supergeek

USA
1899 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  15:45:07  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It looks like you have to grip the handle to hold on, or else your hand will slip off the end. I never liked the upside down brake levers because you can't grip the bars and brake at the same time, which is the case in a panic situation. You have to lift your thumb to brake. It looks like they can't be higher than mid thigh, in order to see over them. I would use the tt tube end brakes and make the bars about at a 45 degree angle from straight (90 degree inclusive) and parallel with the thigh.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

jeroen Schasfoort

Netherlands
52 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  01:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nokon shiftcable is 1.5 mm afaik and has a small end nipple.

Pauls cross lever works with both long and short pull. If you mount them upside down they work as tt levers. A racing brake niple will fit nicely in the barrel adjuster.

http://www.paulcomp.com/crosslever.html
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4900 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  06:57:22  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried the travel agent, and it still does not have quite enough pull. I like cable actuated brakes, and I like the brake handles I'm using. The brake position is easy to use and yes Tony, I can grip the bars and actuate the brakes at the same time. Pauls cross levers look great, and if I was redesigning the h'bars that would be a good option, though pricey. I'm think I'm going to try the Avid road calipers in conjunction with the travel agents next.

Thanks all,

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

PoiterH

Australia
64 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  16:48:21  Show Profile  Visit PoiterH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing I forgot to mention.
The newer road caliper looks to have a different casting and the bolt holding the two sections together hits the end of the early model NC fork.
I replaced the bolt with a counter sunk one and it has sufficient clearance.

Sorry about that Chief
Or you could get a drum brake...

Edited by - PoiterH on 08/05/2012 16:49:20
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4900 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  17:35:19  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up Pete. I can replace the bolt.
Go to Top of Page

PoiterH

Australia
64 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  20:08:43  Show Profile  Visit PoiterH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No body asked already.
Are they rubber bands or raffia holding the handles on?
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1457 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  06:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My best guess would be dental floss doped with orange juice...... works so far ;-)

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4900 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  06:50:07  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dental floss soaked in nail polish. I assemble all of my bikes with supplies from the bathroom.

Actually it's Kevlar roving and West Systems epoxy on aluminum tubing. If it's good enough for the Mars lander, it's good enough for me.

-Warren.

Go to Top of Page

PoiterH

Australia
64 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  16:01:50  Show Profile  Visit PoiterH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know a source of kevlar roving is available in the bead of dead folding tyres if you feel like cutting it out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000