Support mod for a narrow grip
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  09:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After some time riding with a narrow grip handlebar I modified the set up to allow for more leverage to improve handling in wind. Narrow grip alone was too flimsy and not good for riding in wind with dual discs.

Took the bike out in wind last night. Had no handling issues. Was able to hold a straight line with some hard gusts. I used Profile aerobar clamps to secure the hand rests.

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  09:47:48  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice!

(Don't you dare Ben.....)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  11:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made and adjustment before riding yesterday. Dropped the hand supports curled the ends up. Now a bit narrower

Next I will attach 2 hand grip/shifting tubes under the hand supports that will offer swivel and tilt angle adjustment. I want to place the brake levers close together.
The modification will look something like this:

This handlebar setup is the best for narrow grip that I have used since riding. Can probably work on tiller as well. Have not had this much steering control since riding with U-bars 5 years ago. Had to get steering on the bike under control before installing the tailfairing as I am road riding next to vehicles traveling over 50 mph. Solid handling for sure.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4854 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  12:13:00  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great Alan, I'm happy to hear the new hand supports are working well for you. It was good to see you out on the road yesterday. It looked like you were having fun drafting the Harleys. The new pavement on the Fox river trail is great.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2438 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  06:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Alan. As we had discussed, I think something like this might make narrow grips on the Vendetta possible. That could be very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  06:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thom,
I rode yesterday with dual discs. Wind gusts were above 35 mph. Never had any freaky control issues as in the past. There is something beneficial happening when pushing a hand down on the aluminum bracket to counter a strong wind gust.

quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Nice work Alan. As we had discussed, I think something like this might make narrow grips on the Vendetta possible. That could be very interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3441 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  08:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job Alan! Sounds like yet another good idea you've come up with that others will soon be copying! I was having problems riding in wind gusts too. Speedbiker Thom and I got blown around at a TT in March with about 25 mph gusts from the side. I was getting upset at similar gusts when riding this year in practice. Finally I learned that my mistake was letting off the gas when a gust hit. When I just power through, maybe something with the rear tire having torque on it, gives me more control. I was surprised to tie my fastest hour avg this year on one of the windiest days. Of course, the park I ride in doesn't have 50 mph traffic passing me by either, so if I need to swerve a bit out of my lane.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2438 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  08:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Innovation by people on forums like these is what has increased recumbent performance. Not that many years ago time trial organizers didn't wants bents competing because they might hold up the show with their poor performance. Now that Sean, Mike, Larry, and Randy have won big time trials, their opinions have swung 180 degrees. Now it is believed we have an advantage. I can live with that! Let the fun begin(continue?).
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3441 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  08:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of NARROW grips... I sent an email to Thom showing him pictures of my one thumb getting scratched by my other thumb's thumbnail. I've scratched it twice, bleeding leaving scars in the past year when I've shifted hard and fast. Maybe my hands are TOO close together! Oh well, the sacrifices we make for speed! Maybe I could just trim my nails more often too!

Edited by - Upright Mike on 06/28/2012 08:52:09
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2285 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  10:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grips on my dual 650C are wider than Alan's, Thom O's, Randy G's who have their hands almost touching or even overlapping. And I feel that I have little control. Tom Amick recently tried my bike and had a tough time whenever a tiny side gust hit. (More time on the bike would help). But still, there's a severe lack of control compared to using wider bars. I've thought about making an extension to use my forearms to steady the bars. I'll have to decide how far up the forearm they should contact without making them cumbersome for getting in and out of the bike. But I won't get to this project until after Battle Mountain.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000