Volunteers 2012
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

591 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  11:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are over 20 volunteers needed to staff the long course each morning and evening.

Starter and Assistant: (I believe Chris will be starter) 2-3
Ranch Roads 2-3
Timing and Spectator area 5-7
Catch 4-
Chase officials 6-
Radio Nanny 1-2
Course Sweep 1
Reporter 1

TEAMS: please don't expect to come to the event crew-less and recruit from our volunteers, remember!
Not enough volunteers to staff the course = no runs!

Many hands needed for course set-up on Sunday the 9th,
fewer needed for Saturday the 8th.
also many hands needed for course clean up Sunday 16th.

hptdelft

Netherlands
81 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  11:30:24  Show Profile  Visit hptdelft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just like last year we will be with a lot of people, at least 5 volunteers from our side should be no problem.
On Saturday the 8th and Sunday the 9th we can also help you with a lot of hands to set up the track! :)

-------------------------
Yeah yeah, banana custard.
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  11:34:19  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
+1 for Delft!
Go to Top of Page

Micro Craig

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  12:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We should make it by Sunday afternoon and will hang in there as volunteers for the duration.

"Which way to the goalpost, coach? Huh, which way?...."

Craig and Vicky Johnsen
Go to Top of Page

legslarry
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  02:34:46  Show Profile  Visit legslarry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Booked my flight & car last week; aiming to arrive Saturday but this en't set in stone as it's a bloody long way from Tampa

Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
=============================
a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
Go to Top of Page

bicyclebill
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  16:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only wish so much good will come from these events. I live so far away and I'm to poor to make it to these even though they are My favorite events . I wish all of you success and a safe event. Miss you all dearly,

William Reid :)

William Reid
Go to Top of Page

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

591 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  11:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like everyone to consider the possibility of 2 groups of volunteers as the morning and evening shift schedule about kills many of us by the end of the week...
Go to Top of Page

jjackstone
recumbent enthusiast

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  11:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al,
I've placed advertisement on the local Craigslist pages here in Sacramento for volunteers. Never know, might pick up a couple extra people to help out. Hope that's OK. I thought it would be a good idea to start searching early. The ad landed in a hard to find spot though so I will move it later. If you like it maybe other people could do something similar in their areas of the country.
Here's a link to the ad I placed.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/eve/3072214191.html
JJ
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2284 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  12:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As my bike last year was slow, Tom and I only ran in the mornings and worked as volunteers in the evenings. If "racers" are not running in particular sessions, they should be helping to run the event during those sessions.

Maybe every racer needs to be required to work X number of sessions out of 12 total sessions. If they want to work more, that'd be great.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2284 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  12:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
The title may confuse people seeing "Battle" and "Mountain Bike".
"Land speed record bicycles" might be more appropriate.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

cbroome
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  12:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al wrote "I would like everyone to consider the possibility of 2 groups of volunteers as the morning and evening shift schedule about kills many of us by the end of the week..."

I like the idea, but what are the chances of getting even one complete set of volunteers ?

There's also a lot of work to be done after each session publishing the results and preparing for the next session. You can feel pretty whacked even halfway through the week.

I think we have to insist on each team supplying their own chase vehicle with driver and starter/helper. Inadequately prepared teams have been a drain on our limited volunteer pool and can pose some considerable problems for smooth operation of the event.

-- Chris Broome
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1976 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  05:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just throwing this out there, but how necessary are the chase vehicles anymore. If we had more visual coverage on the course. Even an elevated spotter (whoose turn is it to go up in the balloon) -could we get rid of the chase vehicles altogether and eliminate the risks that the chase vehicles create. The course is surrounded by Mountains. I'm wondering if we could place telescopic spotters who could radio locations to a waiting chase vehicle if it is necessary.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

jjackstone
recumbent enthusiast

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  08:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sean,
If there is a crash on the course and the hpv stays on the road there would not be time for anyone else to get there to clear the road for the next rider unless there were people standing about every couple hundred yards. Using a chase vehicle allows the downed vehicle and rider to be checked and moved within 30 to 40 seconds generally. Also because the riders in the chase vehicle are able to rapidly assess how badly the rider is hurt, an ambulance wouldn't have to be sent out each time.
JJ
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2438 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  14:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Understand that Sean knows something of BM.
Go to Top of Page

Violan5
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  13:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm planning on volunteering, if I can get off of work and school. I live near St. Louis and my intent was to fly to Reno and maybe hitch a ride with someone going down. Does anyone know of anyone who could give me a ride??? Thanks.

Josh
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer
recumbent guru

USA
603 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  17:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnemucca is as close as we get to Reno but if that helps we can get you the rest of the way.
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer
recumbent guru

USA
603 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  18:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's about 150 miles as the crow flies.
Go to Top of Page

jdub
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  14:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, last year was a pain. Much too much work for a holiday, but I saw VeloX, Cygnus and Hans & Ellen at Cyclevision last week. They and Legs Larry tell me I have to come. No radios this time! Probably travel via SFO this time. Aim to arrive the 8th, Spoken to Motel 8. They are going to email me.

Jonathan

...got the T-shirt
Go to Top of Page

jdub
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  14:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al, did you talk to Michelle? She's teaching in Winnemucca now but she seemed interested in helping and bringing some students. Evenings only probably. She's mhammersmark@humboldt.k12.nv.us
Not fast at replying to email.

Jonathan

...got the T-shirt
Go to Top of Page

LeoH
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  15:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question and an offer for some help.

A friend and I are planning on attending the races after a visit to Midas nearby. We'll be in BM Tuesday and Wednesday. This is our first time attending the races. I'm not shocked, but of course the motels are booked, what are the sleeping accomodations for 2 visitors with camping gear?

I'm available to volunteer and I'm sure my friend will be as well.

If not for 2 of us in a small pickup detouring for a visit 60 miles from the races before we show up, I'd have been more than happy to offer someone a ride out

Leo
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  22:11:13  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jdub

Well, last year was a pain. Much too much work for a holiday, but I saw VeloX, Cygnus and Hans & Ellen at Cyclevision last week. They and Legs Larry tell me I have to come. No radios this time! Probably travel via SFO this time. Aim to arrive the 8th, Spoken to Motel 8. They are going to email me.

Jonathan

...got the T-shirt

Cool! Looking fwd to seeing you again!
Go to Top of Page

jdub
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  14:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have a room, so I'll be there. Someone cancelled. Ref camping - you can camp anywhere on the range and use the event toilets, but there is a designated campground with plenty of room just off the South end of the course. The Schroeder team usually camp there. Beware skunks.

...got the T-shirt
Go to Top of Page

LeoH
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  15:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jdub. Glad to hear about the camping. Apparently when my friend looked for camping he came away thinking there were only 11 spots. Considering I live out here, I thought that seemed like an absurdly small area for camping
I'll pass that on to him.

Leo
Go to Top of Page

jdub
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  07:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al - I think I would like to do tapes/timing assistant a fair bit this year. Not been where the action is for quite a while. Should get a chance to practice tapes Monday.

Jonathan

...got the T-shirt
Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

785 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  08:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan on being there for the entire event. But I ain't liftin no stinkin bales.

I only check this forum once a month or so; contact me via email if necessary. teubner a t wiktel d o t com

Edited by - teubner on 07/29/2012 08:34:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000