Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ellen
Starting Member

Netherlands
47 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  14:45:24  Show Profile  Visit ellen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ellen and I are back home, it was a long weekend.
We arrived at DECRA Friday evening and Ellen did some test laps, she was surprised how fast the bike was.
Later that evening we did get a time slot for Saturday evening.
Saturday I did make Ellen's bike Velox XS ready. See started at Eight o clock, the first lap was already above 70 km/h. in the car behind Ellen I had to drive 90 km/h to keep up with here.
The second lap went above the 80 km/h and see still was getting faster. But in the third lap see did get a flat tire and went down, (doing above 85 km/h).
She is fine doesn't have any scratches, the bike needs some carbon and a new paint job.
The comment of Ellen was that she was out of gears and needs a bigger gear to go faster, we still have to look into the SRM data.
The only slot that was still available was early next morning ( 9.00 o clock).
We went back to the hotel and had our evening meal at 22.00 not a good preparation for a record attempt the next morning.
We did not sleep well it was 30 degrees Celsius in our room and really damped and there was also a tunderstorm that night.
At 7.30 breakfast and at 8.00 we drove to the track there was still water on the track. It is also still warm and high humidity 80%.
At 9.10 she started. It was clear she didn't have the power of last night, but still did do a personal best doing laps between 70 en 72 km/h last lap was the fasted.
Now the bike needs to be fixed and prepare the bike for the next time in 4 weeks.

Greetings Hans
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  15:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hans and Ellen, congrats on a fine first effort. The new machine seems very exciting. Good luck on your next attempt.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2292 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  20:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hans, for the most part, that is great news. The bike works fine and now all you and Ellen need is some luck.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Lem

Edited by - Larry Lem on 07/03/2012 22:28:05
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  05:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Francesco let me know that there WAS a successful completed one hour during the weekend. The new owner of the Ristretto, 23-year old student Oliver Lehtonen pedaled in 78.9 km (49.02 miles). According to my lists, this is the 23rd fastest One-Hour ever, and also a new FINNISH NATIONAL RECORD.

Oliver and his team have quite an interesting blog here.
http://bike2c24.com/track-workshop-nro-4-5/
Since they purchased the Ristretto from Francesco, they have added a new frame which looks similar to the old one, and installed new gearing. It sounds like they plan a 12/24 hour attempt as well with one of the other team members.

Note: a teammate is training hard on a NoCom to set an unfaired Finnish Hour record too at over 45 kmh (28 mph). Picts on the blog above.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 07/06/2012 06:06:57
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  06:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two more interesting items:

After aborting his record attempt, Francesco rode for "fun". He set the following unofficial record for a track such as Dekra or any other track where a hour record has been attempted:

FASTEST LAP EVER RECORD: 97.6 km/h (60.45 mph), 3 minutes, 36 seconds

Francesco also accelerated to 106 km/h (65.865 mph) during this lap which is the 2nd fastest anyone's gone at low-altitude, just behind Damjan's record set on the same track. This mark is unofficial, as I believe the only record is Francesco's on-board computer. It would make Francesco the 27th fastest in the world, unofficially.
Go to Top of Page

Juanjo Vaucelles
Starting Member

Argentina
27 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  18:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oliver Lehtonen has recently uploaded some interesting videos of the eiviestretto at Dekra in his blog. Check it out!

http://bike2c24.com/d2012-videos/

Juanjo Vaucelles
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  18:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found this posted recently at:
http://www.droplimits.de/index.php/home.html

It lists the upcoming July 29-30, 2012 record attempts at Dekra.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 07/17/2012 18:53:01
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  19:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barbara going for the 24!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2292 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  20:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does someone know what does evtl. stand for?

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

stix

Australia
93 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  20:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
evtl. means possibly

Here is a link that will take you to the drop limits site by Google Translate. It works pretty well on this site.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.droplimits.de%2F

Also at Dekra on the 29th and 30th of July I understand they are focusing on the 6hr and above events.

Stix

Lightning F-40 built around R-84 frame.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  20:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Stix,
Yes I see that same information just posted on TU-Delft's blog. This time at Dekra, competitors will be focusing on 6 hour and above attempts, so there will be no 1 hour (uur) attempt by TU Delft or other teams. As a fan of the one hour, I am dissapointed, but I also hope to see new records in the 6 hour, 12 hour, 24 hour!

Edited by - Upright Mike on 07/21/2012 20:45:16
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  21:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barbara has shocked the world with every attempt. What will she do this time?
Go to Top of Page

Jan v S

Netherlands
75 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  13:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=501777949838785&set=a.501777946505452.131166.100000197532103&type=1&theater

Almost ready for coming weekend

isn't she beautyfull?

Edited by - Jan v S on 07/25/2012 13:23:23
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  13:37:34  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So proud of my Team!!

Go Jan! Go Go Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jan v S

Netherlands
75 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  13:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LongJohn

So proud of my Team!!

Go Jan! Go Go Go!!!

I'll hope to go only once
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  14:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks fantastic!
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  07:22:21  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting pict
TU Delft Fluid Shear test with VeloX2,
posted 5 days ago on Twitter...
http://twitpic.com/aavjfr

Edited by - Upright Mike on 07/28/2012 07:23:13
Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  13:32:56  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, what does the lack or presence of the pink stuff mean in the picture?

Opus

My gas is up to $0.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 10 miles to the regular burrito. Dang $0.99 burritos are smaller now.
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1452 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  17:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I used something similar for airflow visualization, the process was:

1) Spray on a uniform coat of "the pink stuff" and let it dry

2) Just before launching the bike/airplane/boat hull/torpedo, a solvent ( ours smelled like peppermint) is misted on the surface of "the pink stuff" causing it to re-liquify.

3) As the vehicle moves down the road/through the water, the pink dyed oil flows with the pattern of the surface shear.... and the solvent evaporates leaving a detailed smear pattern for your leasurely study.

Our indicator was red.

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  21:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday's Twitter feeds from TU Delft (translated by Google)
Apparently they were at the RDW Track in the Netherlands, and not at Dekra. They had some good runs with the VeloX2

This week, more news on the air resistance misery on our blog, interesting research works and Sebastian indicating enough cycled to have # VeloX2 while another hour # RDW had allotted time ended at @ bosofzo with # BBQ and beer, this day was because celebrate :) Good work Team! Really had a great day at the # RDW VeloX2 with good results and there is really super lot of cycling with VeloX2 #: D # GLAD Really had a great day. Perfect weather, good practice with the equipment and it was also fun. Tomorrow the photos to find out again towards the rdw-track in Lelystad. Training @ hptdelft shooting
Go to Top of Page

ellen
Starting Member

Netherlands
47 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  04:33:31  Show Profile  Visit ellen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We were also at RDW track, Delft did make some improvements on the bike and they had some good laps above 90 km going towards 100 km.
The Velox Xs was doing fine also Ellen did do some laps at here one hour pace and did overtake Sebastiaan
On a good track we now now that 85 and maybe 90 km is possible.

Greetings Hans
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  19:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TRANSLATION BELOW(by Google) off Drop Limits site. I'll admit I am getting very frustrated with Google. I don't know what is being said below. Is there a new world record or not in the Ladies' 12-hour? Who is Kirsten? Who is the Russian Team that travelled 3000 km to the event? Can someone help?

July 29, 2012
A team is at least setting a world record route
The night is coming to an end, it turns bright Kirsten alone, nor their laps, with a Schni of 38.945 km / h. So it is certainly the 12h record. You just have to go to the end. Is as relaxed as she completed the last break, but that should not be a problem.

Bernd Paul has broken his record attempt, because he could not sit in the car perfectly. This is definitely due to the fact that he has only started a few weeks ago with the velomobile ride. Although he has been training for several hours with the borrowed EVO Daniel Fenn, but Bernd Paul himself said, it would be presumptuous to expect that he should break on the first attempt a record. But he has 15:12,134 impressively shown that he Potential: With an average speed of 54.385 km / h over 8 hours.

Wulf Kraneis Milan has moved to the SSL connector to try the 6h and 12h of the record to break. He is traveling at just over 60km / h.

Jan van bridge is infestation with the Cygnus on the track and goes 72/73 km / h He still has not found the correct driving technique, the wheel is more volatile than the aerodynamics and the speed is good for.

Kirsten is now Niederlein world record over 12 hours.

Charles Henry has once again launched a trial, because the weather still looks better than the day.
Unfortunately, it is the cross-wind on some sections of the route is too strong, that he has completed the re-record attempt prematurely.

The drivers are now almost 7 hours on the road. The decrease was also a reunion and getting to know the new and old teams. They had a lot of time, much longer than some would have liked, because the DEKRA Oval was still occupied by another customer. Unfortunately, this customer was also a ban on photography. The Russian team had already learned the day before suffering. Since we had traveled 3,000 km and was not allowed to own the vehicle photographed in action.

Before we were allowed to enter the premises, we all had cameras and cell phones with cameras make ... to my particular pleasure that I also, of course. Even the press representative of the SZ had to give up his camera. Just in time for the start but then we got the approval to take pictures, so you do not have to do without pictures.

In the paddock there was a hustle and bustle. All were involved in some preparations. Hard to believe that some would like to attack a world record. But that's probably a little ritual to divert attention from his own nervousness. Anyone can develop screwed little doubt about the upcoming Herculean task.

Kirsten Netherlands in Milan, Barbara Buatois 3Wheel in Varna, Charles Henry, VV-Peregrin and Bernd Paul went on at EVO K km hunting. All went well on their journey. Bernd with equal more than 60 km / h in average. The Liegeradnewby be trumped by long-haul experience. Barbara alone was not quite in full swing. The camera, which she needed to see was not working as desired and the drive made noises that arise about the suitability for a long distance record but left considerable doubt. Bernd leveled off to a section 57s, Kirsten on 43 and Charlie, moved impressively quiet, with stunning 73km / h its rounds.

In the paddock there was still a great hour of tinkering. Jan van Bridge tries a start and had to return for improvements in the pits. Its nice bike was not yet at the required level of development and himself still driving experience lacking in Cygnus.

Shortly after nightfall, there was unfortunately the first failure. Ironically, Charlie had problems. Somehow, this was not his day. It was not until his car was sluggish and after he had finally decided to start the 6 or 12 hours on the evening in order to escape the rain was announced, even his motivation limp. The onset of darkness and brought cool and unfortunately also mist on the windshield of Charlie's car. He also noted that the decreasing temperatures also slowed. Despite an average speed of 73.324 km / h on his task after 2:18.

Bernd and Kirsten have their first stops behind him, could not have been the opposite. He also had trouble with communication. His cell phone came with the background noise in the EVO not right, the Bob's cell phone communicated wishes of his carers had little or nothing not to understand. Kirsten read the other hand, when they stop so many times, could meinnen the one she wanted to bring before the ride even more the kids to bed. Both are still rapidly move. Kirsten after 4:40 with a 36 average, as suggested in the book break and Bernd goes to 4:48 with an impressive 57.161 around the oval.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 07/30/2012 19:13:38
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  19:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evidently Jan Van Steeg has infested the Cygnus. That was about all I got. Help us, Thomas van Scheik!
Go to Top of Page

stix

Australia
93 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  01:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From reading the German forum (via Google Translate) the organisers are exhausted from running the event and also have to go back to their paying jobs. Over time I expect some clearer reports will be posted on Drop Limits and/or the German forum. Google Translate is likely to do a better job on these reports.

Stix

Lightning F-40 built around R-84 frame.
Go to Top of Page

Jan v S

Netherlands
75 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  14:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Evidently Jan Van Steeg has infested the Cygnus. That was about all I got. Help us, Thomas van Scheik!

I had some, hard to find, problems in the steering saterdaynight and after solving it I also had a problem in de driveline sundaymorning. After solving all the problems I was able to drive for almost 2 hours, but it's not comfortable yet to drive for a longer period. All things that can be solved for next run. It's a new bike and I'm also new to the scene, so I need some time. At least I solved all the technical problems so I could do some very important testruns. After all the Cygnus Alpha worked very well and is awesome fast, while there are still a lot of improvements to come.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000