Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  22:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This summer, there will be some exciting attempts on world records at the RDW Test Track in the Netherlands June 22 and Dekra Test Oval in Germany June 30-July 3 and again on July 28-29, 2012. I have gathered some information from the forums and posted it here.

FRANCESCO RUSSO, EIVIESTRETTRO - ONE HOUR STREAMLINED RECORD ATTEMPT
http://www.russo-speedbike.com/ Click on News (One month to go)
The Team of Damjan Zabovnik & Francesco Russo are looking to do better than their current 91.556 km (56.89 miles) World One Hour streamlined record* set last year August 02, 2011. This was set after waiting through 4 days of rain at the Dekra track, essentially after the event was over. Francesco is currently training. There is less pressure this year, because the Eivestretto was completed last year, so they don't have to build, test and train all at the same time. He only needs to focus on training. He posted that if he can make it around Dekra 16 times in one hour that would equal 93.7 km. He also said that your speed on the track is different for each turn.
* Not yet ratified by IHPVA or WHPVA?

AURéLIEN BONNETEAU, ALTAÏR4 - ONE HOUR STREAMLINED RECORD ATTEMPT
On May 25, 2012, Aure set a new recumbent one-hour best mark on a non-faired recumbent of 56.597 km (35.168 miles). News of his record and announcement of his upcoming streamliner attempt here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/192438030877979/
This incredible mark broke Chris Boardman's UCI Absolute record. Aure used partial fairings to cover his shoes which invalided his record as a true stock record according to a vote by the WRRA. Now he has announced plans to attempt the streamlined one hour record as well, in a French-built university streamliner from IUT-Annecy. There previous bike, the Altair2 went over 117.59 kph 73.067 mph at Battle Mountain in 2009. We can assume this one is faster. How far can Aure ride? (see comparison to Pieter Hollebrandse below) He is very used to riding with short cranks (130 mm on his stock bike) which could be important in a streamliner. Thus far no pictures of the Altair4, so we don't know if it is finished. Can Aure hold both the non-faired and fullyfaired records? He would be the first to do so. He officially holds the WRRA record, but not from his most recent attempt.

ALWIN VISKER or WIL BASELMANS, VELOX2 - ONE HOUR STREAMLINED RECORD ATTEMPT
http://www.hptdelft.nl/en/index.php?option=com_eventlist&view=eventlist&Itemid=186
Pieter Hollebrandse showed a couple of years ago that he could ride almost as far as Aure on an nonfaired recumbent at the Appeldorn event in 2010. Both rode over 53 km / 32 miles in one hour. Then Pieter rode the VeloX from TU Delft to the #3 fastest ever one-hour 88.3 km (54.867 miles). Within one day, it was pushed down to #4 after Francesco set the new record. This was after Pieter restarted after going at full effort for 23 minutes and then completed his ride in the darkness and with cooler temperatures. He crashed at the end of the ride. This year if Alwin or Wil can ride the newer and faster VeloX2 with the same effort as Pieter I predict a new world record as it has 26% less drag than the previous VeloX. I don't know if Alwin or Wil has the same incredible One-Hour power as Francesco or Aure, but they could have the faster machine.

ELLEN VAN VUGT, VELOX-X ONE-HOUR?, SIX-HOUR?, OR 12-HOUR RECORD ATTEMPT?
Just days ago, Hans made a revelation that a new streamliner had been built for Ellen, called the VeloX-X. It was announced that she would ride it in Battle Mountain. But I'm thinking she might try a distance record in it as well.
http://www.bikealive.nl/elan/VeloxX.html or http://www.elan.cc/
This was derived from the world's #2 fastest machine, the VeloX. TU-delft including David Wielemaker and Daniel Fenn, Beyss Leichtfahrzeuge and Hans van Vugt worked to design and build it. It was sized to fit Ellen, and built in a record time. Garrie told me it took only about 3 weekends to get it done. He is currently building the windshield for it. Also news is that Ellen has been increasing her training lately, most notably using the Stapps(?) training system. Last year 2011 she set a new Six-Hour record on the Opel track in the SpeedHawk. This broke the record that she set two years previous to that on the Ford track. She is also the former ladies One-Hour and Top Speed record holder.

-------------------------
Other unconfirmed rumours
-------------------------

BARBARA BUATOIS, VARNA TRIKE, 24-HOUR RECORD ATTEMPT?
Last year (2011), Barbara and Julius spent a week with George Georgiev on his island in British Columbia, Canada. When they left, they brought home a Varna Trike. I think it is either the old Varna Torso trike or the other Varna Trike that was built for Sam to attempt at record. A rumour was that Barbara would attempt a world 24-hour record in it. She wanted to break the men's record as well. She has the qualifications being amongst the top 5 fastest humans in the world in both the 200-meters and One-Hour, as well as having won RAAM on a recumbent. She is an incredible athlete and could break the men's record over 24-hours. So far no news or updates if this will be a reality. Dekra has seen the last two 24-hours records set by Christain Aschberg in a velomobile.

ANDREA GALLO, PULSE, RECORD ATTEMPTS
This is a student team from Politecnico di Torinoin Italy. They have a new streamliner and a strong rider in Andrea Gallo. Recently they have been getting some high-speed practice on a test track in Italy Not sure if they will go to Dekra or Battle Mountain. They raced in the 2010 and 2011 World Championships.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/policumbent

Edited by - Upright Mike on 06/06/2012 23:07:56

W Hilgenberg
recumbent enthusiast

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  18:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Cygnus was on the start list as well.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  19:30:19  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of course! I forgot about that great team!! Thomas rode what I think was one of the best one-hours ever at the Ford track in 2009, just two weeks after he crashed and had a bad injury to his ankle. I would love to see him stronger (I know he is still healing) and with the perhaps even faster Cyngnus, and do an amazing One-Hour run.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  08:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today is the day that some stuff should be happening!

Is TU Delft attempting an Hour record at RDW? Is Ellen van Vugt also racing?
http://www.hptdelft.nl/en/index.php?view=details&id=21%3Atestday-at-rdw&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=186
Go to Top of Page

stix

Australia
95 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  15:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a tweet yesterday on the hptdelft site to say the weather was no good for a run at RDW.

Stix

Lightning F-40 built around R-84 frame.
Go to Top of Page

Jan v S

Netherlands
75 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  22:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by W Hilgenberg

I believe Cygnus was on the start list as well.

yeahhhhh

The DEKRA will be the first big test for the Cygnus Alpha with me inside. This year I will do the 12 hours, but actually it's a test for next year's 24 hour. the big goal is 1000 mile(in 24 hour) in a couple of years. With the Cygnus it;s possble, the question is' Can I do it?'

Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  00:14:22  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know you can do it Jan!!!
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  07:14:08  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You "big tall men" had better do it quick, because I have a feeling that a "little girl" named Barbara will beat the absolute 24-hour record - if she gets her Varna trike running. Her goal is to beat the men's record.
Go to Top of Page

Jan v S

Netherlands
75 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  09:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Upright Mike

You "big tall men" had better do it quick, because I have a feeling that a "little girl" named Barbara will beat the absolute 24-hour record - if she gets her Varna trike running. Her goal is to beat the men's record.

nice. I hope there will be more people interrested in the long distance records in the near future.

I'm not in a hurry. I have my own goals and take the time for it. I'm new in the speedbikes and take my time to get used to it. After some healthproblems last year and all the buildtime, I'm also not at my best for now. This year is en build/test year.

Go to Top of Page

ellen
Starting Member

Netherlands
47 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  03:54:22  Show Profile  Visit ellen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THis evening starting times for the one Hour record
Delft 17.40 can be followed at internet
Francesco 18.50 (was doing laps over 100km/h last night)
20.00 Ellen van Vugt
Wether does look great at 30 degrees Celcius and almost now wind

Greetings Hans
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  05:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Google translation from TU-Delft
It is exciting, the new Velox 2 is in Germany to attack the (Hour) uurrecord to do.

Many tweets on twitter with # DEKRA put. Of course you can also follow @ hptdelft for the news.

Our reporter on the spot wrote about the efforts to date:

For a week in the German Pension Matze Senftenberg the paddock of the Human Power Team Delft and Amsterdam (HPT). With fifteen men, four cyclists and eleven team members, HPT is in Germany to make an attempt to uurrecord cycling with VeloX2. It is like a good workout for the record in september in Battle Mountain, where Sebastian Bowier and Jan Bos will try harder than 133 km / h cycling.
The team is oiled. Of course, there is something wrong, but that belongs to an organization and the students of TU Delft and the VU Amsterdam work well together. The team prize they won earlier this year, is entirely justified when you see how this worked. The first day is the day of the preparations and training. Early morning at breakfast the day is through. Who does the shopping, what have the cyclists need, what are we doing tonight? Thereafter, by the same packed. Blogs written for the site, food cooked and all sorts of things are done.
In the afternoon some time for relaxation on the lake. The weather is beautiful in Senftenberg, at 30 degrees Celsius. Some cooling can not hurt and it is also good for team spirit. Anything mad and then the evening, after a very successful pasta meal, there is full and concentrated to work.
The Dekra Track is full of riders. Not only would drive HPT, Francesco Russo wants uurrecord break, Oliver Lehtonen wants to be a driving record and Ellen van Vugt is the first laps driving in the VeloXS. All teams greet each other warmly. Friendliness is paramount. Certainly the owners of the Dekra course, that bowl-shaped track available for free for the record attempts.
For the HPT may go on the road, first Russo wants the job for themselves. He must clear to get used to the bike, because he has one year more driven. It's literally trial and error. After some starts and stops is a fast lap and he makes the path. HPT is eager to get started. Alwin Visker is ready in the bike, he will also be the first who uurrecord behalf of the HPT will attack. The VeloX2 keeps his leather suit for as long as there is no need to be risked, it is also avoided.
Ellen van Vugt also runs her practice rounds and she is very tight and hard about the job. Hans and Ellen are satisfied. The team from Delft and Amsterdam as well. All they want more cycling, time is well utilized. Russo, meanwhile, runs on his own a few quick rounds. With an average of 96 km / h he flies across the track, on the straight to the pit lane he comes with about 105 km / h over. The pressure is increased. Alwin Visker is not really nervous. He does have meaning for cycling: "I dream half a year to around 100 km / h ride." Saturday is the first attempt.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  05:55:30  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ONE-HOUR BEST PERFORMANCES (Unofficial Records)
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/fastest_list.asp

I will update after the event

Edited by - Upright Mike on 06/30/2012 05:55:58
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  07:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another Google translation of the TU-Delft Blog...
http://www.hptdelft.nl/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=15&Itemid=58

Saturday, 30 June 2012 13:17
For some the first day began a little earlier than planned, thanks to a beautiful sun, most awake at 6am for the first full day in Germany. Something for nine officially began the day with a breakfast together in the sun, followed by the first briefing of the dag.We were at half past 6 the job, the time is filled by shopping, cooking and otherwise relaxing.

A first group left to go shopping while the others inrichtte a corner where all the computers could be taught fun presentations. From here, the first written blogs, twitter was updated and the first photos could be shown to the outside world. While all team members were busy, took the cyclists on the road together for a training round. Upon return, there was still an hour of free time and it was decided to take a lake to look for some relaxation. The temperatures because it asked for some refreshment. After a nice swim break we went back towards house, completely relaxed and ready for some serious evening.

The team went to work cooking pasta for 16 people, while the cyclists were able to prepare the first meeting with the DEKRA job. 2.5 kg of pasta later we leave for the track, where we could meet as our competitors.

After careful application on the job, we could gather for the first briefing of the evening. The intention was that first practiced by anyone what could be, so one could also become accustomed to the job. After this attempt Francesco Russo for driving a uurrecord, when he again felt comfortable in his bike. His attempts to start did not go entirely smoothly and in combination with high temperatures let him decide his record attempt to postpone until the next day.

The teams of Ellen van Vugt and Olivier Lehtonen were on the track to try out their bikes, they also will the coming days or more record attempts. For us, the focus was mainly to Alwin and want to get used to the Velox 2, Alwin is because today (30-06) his first record business. While Alwin or Will was busy with a circle of 5.7 km on the track were the other riders and team members observe the other teams so we know who we face in the coming days. Furthermore, we had a short time to the next job start and stop what exercises to do with John in the VeloX2, but after a puncture we were forced to stop.

Around 9:30 we were returned back to our inn, after a short evaluation and drink again to find our bed. For the next day equipped to begin the first day with an official record.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 06/30/2012 07:46:16
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  11:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to Twitter from TU Delft.... (Google Translation)

Alwin Visker has great performance for 35 minutes! Then stopped due to overheating. Well done!

We are extremely proud of Alwin!

Wil Baselmans has also just made a few laps! at 100 kph!! Wow! :) We can be satisfied :)

Edited by - Upright Mike on 06/30/2012 12:52:26
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1978 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  21:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me, or does the TU Delft bike look roomy.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2478 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  22:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matbe, but they claim an unbelievable 35% reduction in drag. Wow!
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  06:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Picts of first day...(with english subtitles)..

http://basdemeijer.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Eerste-recorddag-Human-Power-Team-in-Duitsland-First-record-day-in-Germany/G0000gc02M1DLsjs/I0000d1wEgI7s0t8/C00001CaTt7Mh4F0

Check on the new skinsuits that the riders are wearing The black center sections look like they are for better aerodynamics or cooling?. They look like a rubber material.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  06:24:47  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Start of 2nd day at Dekra.. Google Translation (with some edits by me)

Last night and today the Velox 2 is provided with vibration dampers, hopefully tonight we can measure the difference!
Possible Cause: Vibration on the outside of the VeloX2 can create turbulence. vibration dampers
We (have a challenge, the resistance of the VeloX2 at DEKRA shows much higher that that of the wind tunnel. and less speed?
Weather is hard on the VeloX2, again this afternoon to DEKRA. Not as much time as yesterday, unfortunately :-(
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  06:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both the VeloX and VeloX2 look roomy to me too. I wonder how wide the one for Ellen is? If they could scan me, and make one for me, maybe 2" or 50 mm narrower and probably 200 mm shorter (8 inchs) I would gladly fly to Europe to take a crack at a record in it. When they say the actual drag readings are not matching their 35% reduction shown in the wind-tunnel, I imagine that can't be too bad, because they were still flying around Dekra doing 100 KPH, 62.1 mph laps! No one's ever done laps that fast out there according to any data they've provided and I used for the basis of some of my Fastest marks.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2478 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  07:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the bikes are roomier, it is likely for a very good reason. Weaver believed this, and proved it with the Kyle Edge. Raymond, too. All citing extended laminar flow. I don#t believe Delft is doing alot of guessing....
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  11:41:53  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From TU Delft Twitter... via tranlastion
It is a night with rain, alas! Not happened to (today) # DEKRA, tomorrow our last chance for a uurrecord attempt!

Great team pict here with the VeloX2 and riders... might be nice for the WHPSC Team Page!
http://twitpic.com/a2rjpp
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  02:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From TU Delft twitter... (Google translation)
Everyone is full of energy! The last day on the DEKRA #! # VeloX2 just once fully checked at the boarding house!
5:30 p.m. tonight, we back on track, 18:00 Francesco is an attempt at 1h. Then may want to show what he can :)
@ michElvanbale, the weather looks good, around 25 degrees C and clouds. Some wind but that is not so bad: ->

TIME-ZONE CONVERSION: (Germany is six hours ahead of Eastern Standard time or nine hours ahead of Pacific Coast time)

TU-Delft One-Hour run + Francesco starting 1/2 hour later
Look for news updates during the following times today....
5:30 pm - 7:00 pm Germany Time:
= 11:30 am - 1:00 pm East-Coast
= 8:30 - 10:00 am West-Coast

What time is Ellen running?

Edited by - Upright Mike on 07/02/2012 02:50:19
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  09:39:05  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to TU Delft Blog, Ellen set a new personal best with the VeloxX, but did not break Barbara's 84 km 52.2 miles World record. No word yet on the final distance. CONGRATULATIONS ELLEN!

Ellen's old personal best, and Ladies World Record at that time was 68.97 km 42.86 miles set in 2004 with the White Hawk on the GM/Opel Test Track 4.8 km oval in Dudenhofen, Germany.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 07/02/2012 09:45:21
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  09:41:47  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TU Delft twitter (with Google and my translation)...
Will and Velox2 getting ready for a 1 hour attempt. Francesco is already on the track for 6 minutes and looks fast.
Go to Top of Page

msol
Starting Member

Italy
13 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  10:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't miss this!
http://www.hptdelft.nl/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=383
(shows power cadence heartbeat and speed of the velox2 live)
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  11:09:58  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi - thank you for the link! Unfortunately, I could not get it to work. It needs to know the start time for the rider. I tried several times, but got no data.

Today Francesco and TU-Delft did not complete the one-hour.

TU Delft twitter (with Google translation)...
- Francesco has abandoned after about 45 minutes, he made rounds of 80 to 85 km / h

- VeloX2 sense now completely put together, about 15 minutes we try to start. You can then follow us through...
- Looking at the VeloX2 stepped last checks and then the canopy on it.
- Everything is ready, we're almost starting! We are ready to start
- The first two start attempts were not within 15 meters, tension is increased.
- After 1 cycle then collected. Will try again ....
- This time a good start! The # VeloX2 is gone!
-(25 minutes later)...Problems with the bike, unfortunately, want is to know. velox2 is damaged ...
Latest update...
- seems not serious, are the things to pack on the track. Soon more information.
- Record is unfortunately failed, Will is doing well and everything seems fine.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 07/02/2012 11:50:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000