New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

warren
human power expert

4787 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  06:32:08  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Michigan HPV Rally is coming up quick.

Race info: http://mhpva.blogspot.com/

I'm planning on going. I hope to see everyone there!

-Warren.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  09:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also planning on being at Waterford.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3364 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  10:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lots of folks at Calvin's Challenge this past weekend mentioned that they were going to Waterford, so it should be another great weekend!
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
recumbent enthusiast

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  10:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there...unfortunately Dora won't be able to make it.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1422 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  10:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris;
Bummer! Not to say that we don't enjoy your company; but, well ....... Dora's certainly better looking than you! ;-)

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

revbsg

97 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  05:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get your real-time results here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AqBSozsxbMoOdFJ1ZUlrRnFBUEhUOHFBWnlncFNPclE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Bookmark your phone, ipad, etc. now to get instant results.

Godspeed,
Pop

Edited by - revbsg on 05/10/2012 05:46:08
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3364 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  19:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weather prediction is warm and sunny....
79 deg Saturday
82 deg Sunday

10 mph winds, partially cloudy.

As always we'll try to run the streamliner One Hour early in the morning on Saturday before things warm up too much. After that will be the Stock One-Hour event. Show up early to take advantage of the nice weather. Last year Waterford was three weeks later and it was usually chilly.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
recumbent enthusiast

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  07:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A heads up for those racers that plan to drive thru Chicago...Don't!!! Drive around the city. The NATO Summit starts Friday evening. Here are some travel warnings:

Road Closures
Portions of I-55 (Stevenson Expressway) and Lake Shore Drive will be shut down during the summit. Other roads and interstate highways may also experience intermittent traffic delays during the week of May 13 through May 21.

Beginning Saturday, May 19, until Monday, May 21, expect intermittent traffic delays and temporary road and interstate closures and throughout downtown Chicago for motorcades traveling to and from McCormick Place and other event sites.

If you need to use the regional expressway system to get to work, school or other cultural events, affected routes include:

•I-90/94 East and West between downtown Chicago and I-55;
•Roosevelt Road, 18th Street, and Canal Port Avenue access from I-94 West (Dan Ryan Expressway);
•Ohio Street from I-90/94 to Fairbanks Court/Columbus Drive;
•Ontario Street from Fairbanks Court/Columbus Drive;
•I-90 East and West (Kennedy Expressway) between O’Hare International Airport and downtown Chicago.
Saturday, May 19 through Monday, May 21

Other road closures and pedestrian restrictions will be implemented beginning midnight Saturday, May 19 (Friday midnight into Saturday). Affected roadways below will re-open for evening rush hour on Monday, May 21:

•Northbound and southbound Lake Shore Drive between E. Balbo Avenue and E 39th Street;
•Northbound and southbound I-55 between I-90/94 to Lake Shore Drive.
Museum Campus
If you were planning to visit the Art Institute, Adler Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium—all three will be closed the weekend of May 19-21 for the NATO Summit. The Field Museum will remain open.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  13:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it still possible to camp at the race track?

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3364 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  13:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jimmy, Yes camping is still allowed at the track overnight. Though I can not guarantee what sort of critters, two, four, or six-legged might want to join you. Be sure to bring a lock and some bug spray, just in case.
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1422 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  16:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, why do you assume that all the critters have an even number of legs? I'm off to take my meds now..

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2369 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  07:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter what you ride, or how fast you are, try to attend this even. The sportscar track is fun, safe, and beautiful. Because of the great weather, we have booked an extra night at a lakeside hotel. The Waterford/Clarkston area has long been known for it's beautiful lakes. We couldn't resist spending a little more time in the area.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  09:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

No matter what you ride, or how fast you are, try to attend this even.

I'll be working in my garden insrtead.
Have fun at the races Thom.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2369 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  09:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosstraining! Try to ride your bike soon, too. I am just doing Mich for the training and vacation(my preplanned excuse for Mike and Warren beating me up). Lots of great races still to come.
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1974 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  17:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there by hook or by crook.

Sean

From Wikipedia

"By hook or by crook" is an English phrase meaning "by any means necessary", suggesting that one need not be concerned with morality or other considerations when accomplishing some goal. The origin of the phrase is obscure, with multiple different explanations and no evidence to support any particular one over the others.[1] For example, a commonly repeated suggestion is that it comes from Hook Head in Wexford, Ireland and the nearby village of Crook, in Waterford, Ireland. Another is that it comes from the customs which regulated which firewood local people could take from common land; they were allowed to take any branches that they could reach with a billhook or a shepherd's crook[2]. The first recorded use of the phrase is in the Middle English text Controversial Tracts by John Wyclif in 1380.[3]
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2369 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  18:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So much for me wrestling the top sprint speed from Mike....
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3364 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  09:59:29  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forecast is now 84 deg both Sat & Sun, 0% rain.

I've just got done sanding my wheel well in my streamliner for two days trying to get a new 451 wheel with a disk cover to fit. It's done, so I can go back to my race director duties. I probably won't make it out there tonight, but the gates will be open for people to come in and camp out.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
recumbent enthusiast

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  13:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gates are open...Jim,Tedd,Donna and I are already here hanging out at the track.
The weather is fantastic!

quote:
Originally posted by Upright Mike

Forecast is now 84 deg both Sat & Sun, 0% rain.

I've just got done sanding my wheel well in my streamliner for two days trying to get a new 451 wheel with a disk cover to fit. It's done, so I can go back to my race director duties. I probably won't make it out there tonight, but the gates will be open for people to come in and camp out.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4787 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  19:03:25  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Racing was great today and the turnout was very good. I came in second place in the 1hr stock race behind Mr. Mowett. Woo Hoo! I thought I was third, but apparently Sean had bailed out of the race after 30 minutes. Thom is faster this year. I was trailing him for the first 30 minutes, then passed him. I later learned he had dropped his chain shortly after I passed him, but got it put back on quickly. I think that if he hadn't lost his chain we would have been mixing it up for the whole race.

Bruce has posted the complete results here

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

lowbike
recumbent enthusiast

106 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  09:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There he goes again droping chains,Tom ever think abount using chain watchers?

quote:
Originally posted by warren

Racing was great today and the turnout was very good. I came in second place in the 1hr stock race behind Mr. Mowett. Woo Hoo! I thought I was third, but apparently Sean had bailed out of the race after 30 minutes. Thom is faster this year. I was trailing him for the first 30 minutes, then passed him. I later learned he had dropped his chain shortly after I passed him, but got it put back on quickly. I think that if he hadn't lost his chain we would have been mixing it up for the whole race.

Bruce has posted the complete results here

-Warren.

Thank You
Earl Russell
The #1 "LOVE MUSCLE"
old,fat,and VERY slow
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
231 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  11:39:46  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/2012/05/20/hpv-racing-at-waterford-mi/

thanks to the organizers for being so patient with the U of T team as they cycled through the various rider / bike combinations. Wish I was there today!

http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2369 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  20:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice pictures.
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
231 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  20:29:48  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what were the results of the Urban Transportation Contest?

http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2369 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  07:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My chain never comes off in time trials. I went to Michigan for training, and battling Warren took my riding to a new level. I felt stronger at the end of the last race than I did all weekend. Plus, Sean makes me laugh.... His humor, not when I am full gas at 28 mph and he is riding away!
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3364 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  09:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We'll have some more results and pictures maybe by tonight. I noticed that we didn't have the Road Race results on the web. I've asked Paul if he could send out the UTC results.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3364 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  09:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems like many folks had gremlin problems this weekend...

The University of Toronto bought out three wonderfully built streamliners. They commented that their oldest (and perhaps slowest) vehicle, the A.C.E. is now their best running machine, because they have had 3 years to tune it up. Now its everyone's favorite choice to ride. The Vortex (which went faster at Battle Mountain, making Todd the 10th fastest on the planet) had a few bugs for them to work out. Its always funny to see someone have to crawl inside of it to work on it. Just look at the pictures on Jun's blog! Their newest streamliner, the BlueNose was out there at times. At the ASME competition they had to cut a big hole in it for riders to put their feet down. They mentioned they'll have that patched up if they take it to Battle Mountain.

My Norus streamliner dropped a chain in the 1-Hour, then the mid-drive starting slipping taking me out of the race. I worked about 18 hours on it Thurs/Friday getting it ready to race again.

Then I derailled a chain on my M1 lowracer racing through the hard turn on the Road Race, which took me out of the running. So I "teased" Sean by letting him draft me when he came around to lap me. At some point I saw Thom out too with a chain deraillment. Coming towards the finish I noticed Warren again, and realized he had 2nd place all locked up, so I got 3rd.

Sean was leading the Stock 1 Hour for about 40 minutes before he DNF. We raced through the first 5 laps at a 27 mph average. I could barely keep up with him. Ironically the local club that uses the club often has 5-lap time trials there every 3 weeks. John M and I have raced in them. Sean and I's 27 mph average would have placed us very near the Club TT's upright track record, held by a guy that John M knows well. If anything this goes to prove that a fast bent can keep up with the fastest roadies on a course such as Waterford with its hill.

Sean tacoed his front chainring taking off in the Hill Climb. I let him borrow my Morciglio M1 lowracer to do the Kilo. In Sean's first ever time riding it at speed he does a 1:15 time just 14/100ths off my fastest, and I'm experienced with it. There is no way I can beat Sean on a good day, when he's on top of his game. Case in point, when he got his NoCom chainring all straightened out, he went 42 mph in the Sprints, while I could only do 39.5 mph.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000