New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rupertspain
Starting Member

Spain
3 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  12:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am an 48 year old audax/randonneur cyclist based in Spain who has just completed PBP. Unfortunately, I have been diagnosed as having two hernias in my neck and my doctor has advised me to change my bike for a bent but with a neck support. I am torn between getting a cruzbike or metabike and I would appreciate your comments about what would be the best bike for long distance cycling (comfort-hills-carrying capacity). I would like to get the metabikes randonneur or the cruzbike silvio or vendetta

alevand
human power supergeek

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  12:28:52  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Being laided back as an the Vendatta may also put strain on your neck. For comfort, long distance and hills I would chose a fixed bottom bracket and a straighter up seat back, 45 degrees or more. Don't know was PBP is.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

mhelander
recumbent enthusiast

Finland
349 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  14:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Meta Bikes would work great in Paris-Brest-Paris kind of randonneur journey. Just have seat fairly upright, you may then like head/neck rest they have in inventory.

Might be best to select model which takes wider than 25c tires and has disc brakes. Retailers in US have suggestion for what racks will fit in easily, and some Meta owners in BROL can suggest seat back boxes too (I have neither).

Meta is light, stiff and fast. If your weight allows, get carbon seat option and carbon fork too.

Cheers,
-Mika

MetaPhysic 700c @ 2011, M5 CrMo Lowracer @ 2010
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power supergeek

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  04:27:01  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OH, P-B-P, yes I have seen a documetary on this. If I were to ride the P-B-P and had to choose a production bicycle, I would ride the worlds fastest, the Lightning F-40. In this you might be able to keep up with that American that always wins.

http://www.lightningbikes.com/f40.htm

ps. Looks the the pedals are even with your head on the metaphysics 700c, not good for climbing or comfort.
C:

Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/08/2012 07:03:21
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  06:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Until we see riders doing 750 mile brevets on Cruzbikes, I say go with the Meta. As Mika said, it is a great distance bike and you can play with the seat angle for best comfort and speed. Go with comfortable wheels and fork and you should really be happy. Good luck with those neck bones!
Go to Top of Page

rupertspain
Starting Member

Spain
3 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  14:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback. PBP is a randonneur/audax ride in France. You have to cover 1200km in 90 hours so comfort is important. Has anyone got input on the Silvio for climbing ?
Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  15:24:42  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is supposed to be one running (or a Vendetta) at the Texas Time Trial this fall. but I don't know what category they will be racing in, the 500 mile or the 12 or 24 hour. There is a significant hill on the TTT course, so bad climbing bikes will be penalized (as will similar riders).

Opus

My gas is up to $0.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 10 miles to the regular burrito. Dang $0.99 burritos are smaller now.
Go to Top of Page

jim parker
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  09:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rupert,
Since no one has added any words of support for the Cruzbike Silvio or Vendetta, two models you asked specifically about, I'll provide some information. Specific to your needs, you may favor the Silvio, which has front and rear suspension and is more amenable to a rack. The Axiom Journey rack we sell with the Silvio is rated at 70kg. The Silvio has two 700c wheels while keeping your feet below your seat level. It's not a racing bike, but a very comfortable and quick touring bike.

The Vendetta is built for speed. On reasonably smooth roads, it's very comfortable. On bumpy roads, the Silvio is more comfortable. Once the headrest on the Vendetta is properly adjusted, the neck is supported and very comfortable. Opus indicated there would be a Vendetta competing in the hilly Texas Time Trials this year. Actually, my wife, Maria, and I competed last year in the 12-hour and 6-hour TTTT events, respectively and we both set recumbent course records.

We also recently both finished first among recumbents at the hilly Heart of the South 200 event. My only anecdotal experience with a MetaBike was last year at the 104 mile Tour de Moore. A boisterous young man pulled up along side me at about mile 20 and informed me that no one ever beats him on his MetaBike. He was the only other recumbent rider on the course. At the first serious hill, he dropped off the back of the lead pack and I never saw him again. I was able to stay with the lead pack the entire way.

The new model Silvio has a stiffer boom, much more like the Vendetta. It's a very good climber. With time, you will learn to very much engage your upper body in the climbing effort. It's drivetrain is unique, patented, and very different from any other recumbent, so unless someone has a year or two of experience riding a Cruzbike, be careful of what advice you hear.

My recommendation for you is the Silvio. Maria took her Silvio on a 1200 mile journey from Florida to Washington, D.C. last summer and was comfortable the whole way.

Best of luck to you with whatever bike you choose to ride.

Jim Parker
Cruzbike.com
Go to Top of Page

rupertspain
Starting Member

Spain
3 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  13:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Jim. Much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

johntolhurst
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  02:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Until we see riders doing 750 mile brevets on Cruzbikes ...

http://cruzbike.com/vendetta-serious-randonneuring-bike.

Nothing is more dull, hopeless, uninspiring and backward looking as The Safe Answer. To all those with the courage to re-imagine the future, a toast! Cheers!

John
www.cruzbike.com
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  04:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There you go! I doubt anyone is surprised.....
Go to Top of Page

tim_turner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  07:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seat shape is more important than seat angle. I have the M5 seat on my Corsa laid back about 18 degrees. I have to have a head rest. The new Bacchetta carbon seat on my CA1 is laid back nearly as far as it will go (with a little room for a camelbak) around 15 degrees. I don't need a head rest.
I actually feel like I'm sitting up more on the bacchetta seat. The shape of it just supports my upper body better. I crave a head rest after an all out sprint. I'd probably want one if I were doing crazy long events.
Did 4 hours of riding yesterday and never had an inclining of discomfort with my neck.

Finding the right seat is probably the single most import thing. The wrong seat will ruin even the best bike.

T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000