New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1976 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  18:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Has someone tested these new tires yet VS the Stelvios? At 73 bucks a pop, I'm looking for a little backup data.

Sean

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2276 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  12:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran the 406 Ultremos in the Piru TT yesterday and there was no significant difference between them and the 3-year old Stelvios that I replaced.

Significant meaning they were probably within 15-30 sec difference over a 30 minute race (whether faster or slower). Within the statistics of all my races, you could not tell the difference. I would need to do more objective testing to really see. I'll continue to run them on my dual 406 at this TT through the summer.

I did not suddenly go a minute faster.

When I changed from a road helmet to a Garneau Prologue 3 years ago, I went a minute faster. When I changed bikes to the dual 650C, I went 2 minutes faster. Those were significant changes.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

mhelander
recumbent enthusiast

Finland
347 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  22:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Lem

When I changed from a road helmet to a Garneau Prologue 3 years ago, I went a minute faster. When I changed bikes to the dual 650C, I went 2 minutes faster. Those were significant changes.

Larry, you mean Louis Garneau Rocket Air ?

There seems to be quite many interesting helmets from Louis, but not all will work with reclined seat (20 degree or less) and in lowracer...

Cheers,
-Mika

MetaPhysic 700c @ 2011, M5 CrMo Lowracer @ 2010
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2276 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  08:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prolouge, not Rocket.
Need short, "high" tail so it doesn't contact stuff such as rear wheel.
Helmet is of course worn "not as intended", rotated 90 forward since head is leaning back 45 instead of leaning forward 45.

http://www.odec.ca/projects/2007/rypk7r2/Physics5aero.htm

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Zyzio
recumbent enthusiast

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  09:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the best helmet for a recumbent position from Garneau these days is the Vortice. It has a much shorter tail and some other aero enhancements.

Larry what are the actual dimensions of a pumped-up Ultremo (especially the width)?

PeterB
Go to Top of Page

tim_turner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  11:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
plus part of the reason the LG helmet could be better is cuz the newer ones seem to fit tighter to the head.
Go to Top of Page

mhelander
recumbent enthusiast

Finland
347 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  13:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan to get one for TT's and serious riding. As tight fit is mentioned, this is likely helmet to be fitted prior to (online) purchase.

Some models are sub-100 $/ which is not bad considering my current S-Works was just under 200 with discount...

Cheers,
-Mika

MetaPhysic 700c @ 2011, M5 CrMo Lowracer @ 2010
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3421 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  16:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zyzio

I think the best helmet for a recumbent position from Garneau these days is the Vortice. It has a much shorter tail and some other aero enhancements...PeterB

I thought the same thing. I bought a Vortice and tried it. It was not faster than my regular open vent road helmet - the reason being I had to sit up higher to allow the tail to clear my wheel. This was on my Morciglio M1 lowracer. Also the Vortice, like other helmets tends to be simply too large / wide. On a very laid back seat, the most important thing I think is to have a rounded brow of the helmet for better aerodynamics. Too many helmets have a square cut to them around the brow.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2421 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  16:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought this was an Ultrmo tire thread....
Go to Top of Page

tim_turner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  17:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
plus part of the reason the Ultremos could be better is cuz the newer ones seem to fit tighter to the head.

:-)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  16:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean costin

Has someone tested these new tires yet VS the Stelvios?
Sean

Last week I rode with an old never been used Stelvio @ 135 psi. This week I rode with the Ultremo ZX at 150 psi.
Probably going to toss my box of Stelvios in the garbage can.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2421 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  17:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that's a testamonial! Please let me know where you throw them.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  08:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Now that's a testamonial! Please let me know where you throw them.

I'll give you some Dahon folder Stelvios at the Big TT only if you promise to race with them @ 135 psi. This will give me a significant adavantage as you will slip and slide over the road with higher resistance and lower max speed.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2421 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  09:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No such luck! If they were 451s I might take you up. I expect to copy as much of your setup as possible: NoCom, Ultremos, narrow steering, drum brake front, etc.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  13:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No such luck! If they were 451s I might take you up. I expect to copy as much of your setup as possible: NoCom, Ultremos, narrow steering, drum brake front, etc.

No drum brake for me. I'm using home made caliper brakes on that homemade fork which was supposed to be impossible to make according to current day experts in RecuimboLand.

Got to sit back and laugh at the comedy of this stuff.

BTW, still working on the handlebar setup. I may go with forearm extensions to narrow the grip.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2421 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  14:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No drum? I thought all the fast guys had those, so I got one. I've thought of forearm extensions for stability. As is I brace my thumb muscles(or whatever that is) against my brake levers. It is pretty decent, but not great. But it is fast. I noticed Sean overlaps his hands. That's narrow! And it seems to work for him :-)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  20:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've thought of forearm extensions for stability.

Thom,
I do not think you need forearm extensions unless you use narrow tiller. I'm considering forearm extensions as I broke my hand early in the year and can not feel the handlebar contacting my palm. It seems logical to make an arm extension for better control on the road.

I'm almost certain Sean's handlebar is contacting his forearms. 3 point tiller with super narrow grip.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2421 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  21:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan, my knuckles are so close together I can't wear anything but thin(or no) gloves. I thiugh Sean had extra leverage, but nope, just two sticks. Bummer about your numb paw. It's always something!
Go to Top of Page

TrikeMakto
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  14:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the HD versions of the Ultremos better in real life usage compared to the old horror stories?

My 406 size Supremes with the HD layer are wearing out.....I want something faster / higher pressure without giving up the puncture protection

My choices seem to be the Racer with the new HD or the Ultremo with the new HD -- but the Racer doesnt seem to be different in any noticeable way from the Supreme
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000