www.recumbents.com - Ohio Recumbent Challenge, Aug 19th.
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 HPV Racing
 Ohio Recumbent Challenge, Aug 19th.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  22:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan, my power is between 85 and 95 rpm with the 172.5s. I expect it will be about 5 higher with 170 cranks. No mashing for me. If Mike learns to spin we are in trouble.
Go to Top of Page

randy
recumbent guru

720 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  06:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AA

I no longer mash large gears.

To me mashing large gears always feels like trying to run in dreams.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  20:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling this this locked in riding position is going to be good for the 30K this Sunday. No plans to shovel several tons of gravel on Saturday and no ballistic riding yesterday. With an easy week I do believe I will have some leg mojo working at the Bong and a Half.

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  10:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: I spent some time with Colavita/Zipp TT organizer Roger Bowersock, today. We fixed the online signup process. Now when you click on recumbent/hpv, you have the choice of doing the Challenge or the regular recumbent/hpv catagory. The four people who were already signed up were moved to the Challenge. Chis is still in both, but I put his Challenge entry first. There are still some exciting things in the works, but just last week it was announced that a sponsor was giving free backpacks to all who enter. With racer' s speeds improving(a couple guys already over 28!), things are getting exciting.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3257 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  17:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thom and I rode two laps around the course today (after we did 11.4 mile Colavita-Zipp TT nearby in St. Mary's!). Despite being cooked from the race where we placed 2nd and 4th, we were cruising at 25 to 29 mph on this supernice course. I don't know what it was, a combination of passing traffic, a cool breeze off the lake, or being "warmed up", but we were hammering, going fast and having fun. I really encourage everyone to try this race in three weeks. The organizers are super nice, they do a super job of putting on a pro-level race. The course is SMOOTH and FLAT! There are some rumble strips on one part of the course that you can avoid by not riding on the shoulder. There will be some FAST times on this course!!
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  18:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rumble strip Mike speaks of is the strip between the shoulder and road area on about three miles of road. There are smooth sections every so often to enter and exit the shoulder. I would also like to mention that riding around the lake with Mike was like riding with someone on a moped. Though at times I think we would have dropped the moped!
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  16:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big race is less than two weeks away. The prizes have stacked up and there is cash and prizes for the top five finishers. First prize has a value of close to $200! As this is the Colavita/Zipp's most exciting event, the number of entries could be 200 or more. Even with 30 second spacing, riders could still be going off at noon. If you don't want to ride in the midday sun, I highly recommend preregistering. Not often do recumbents get a chance to participate in an event this exciting, and have a shot at cash, prizes, awards, freebies, etc. I hope to see many of you, there.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4669 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  19:52:12  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am signed up and ready to go.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  16:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big race is this sunday. I have my 9:28 start time. I hope everyone has their .5 watt tail light mounted and ready. You can still sign up online or day of.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4669 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  09:55:25  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The start list for Sunday can now be viewed at http://www.midwesttimetrial.com/documents/2012%20startlists/celina.pdf?share=vlOpVMo4kK

If you have not yet signed up, you may do so on race morning beginning at 7:30.

Here are the recumbent competitors from the list. I added their bike if I know it.

9:00:30 1 John Burrell - M1
9:12:00 24 Warren Beauchamp - NoCom
9:14:00 28 Christopher Evans - Quest Velo
9:19:00 38 Dennis Grelk - Grelk lowracer
9:21:30 43 Chris Cortez - Gritters lowracer
9:22:00 44 Dora Cortez - Gritters lowracer
9:26:30 53 Tim Guthrie - Quest ?
9:27:30 55 Thomas Ollinger - NoCom
9:34:30 69 Alan Ariail - not racing
9:39:30 79 Don Smith - NoCom
9:40:30 81 Charlie Ollinger Ollinger lowracer
9:44:00 88 Eugene Rogers - ?
9:56:30 113 Michael Mowett - M1

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 08/18/2012 03:44:46
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  13:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Warren. It looks like a great lineup. Especially if a few more sign up Sunday. Chris asked me about warming up, so here is what I do. Parking is often a good distance from the start house, so I carry my bike, trainer, gear, and fluids to right next to it. Roger usually has a big tent set up for warming up. I usually ride until about five minutes before my start. The start list is on a big screen mounted on the start house. It scrolls as riders leave. Just make sure you have all you need for the race with you.
I try to ride a 30 minute warmup on my trainer. Roads are not practicle on a bent. To warm up I spin easy for ten minutes, shift progressively harder for ten, then do hard one minute intervals to bring my heart and breathing up. Then carry my bike to the line of racers waiting to start.
If you are worried about the ramp GET THERE EARLY ENOUGH TO TRY IT. If you can't use it, Roger can make allowances. But do it well before the 9:00 start. And, please, everyone remeber your taillight and bright colored jerseys and helmets.
Go to Top of Page

COBRA GT

54 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  13:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everybody have a good race. Go fast & stay safe . G.T..
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  15:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gary.

Also, when in the start house you have the option of being held. I prefer to not be held, but put a hand down. If the start looks sketchy, sometime I will out a foot down. The timer is at the end of the ramp. How you start matters little. The starthouse will likely be on a little bridge, making for a very nice downhill start. So start carefully and then floor it!
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3257 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  19:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Photos of course (back in February), looks even better now!
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/uprightmike/Celina%20Ohio%2040K%20Recumbent%20Challenge/

Map of the Course
- from what I remember driving and riding it twice with Thom

Go to Top of Page

ckaudio
recumbent enthusiast

105 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  20:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got me listed at 9:14 on the nocom, but actually I plan on using the quest at 9:14 and the nocom at 10:49 It should be cooler after 9 in the morning than 10:49. The quest may get a little warm since I plan on running the visor as low as possible to maximize the speed.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  08:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a problem, Chris.

Additional notes on Mike's map. The right turn between 12&13 is where I got held up by traffic in 2010. A sherrif did his best to clear traffic for me. The rumble strip Mike speaks of separates the road from the shoulder. I plan to stay on the road, but the strip has openings to access the shoulder if need be. The gravel is the result of gravel from driveways washing onto the road. Not a big deal, just keep your eyes open. When you turn onto hwy 127 at mile 22 STAY ON THE SHOULDER. This is where you will likely encounter the most traffic. 20 mph speed limit in the state park, ha ha ha. ABOVE ALL REMEMBER THAT THIS IS AN OPEN ROAD COURSE. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN AND BE CAREFULL. It looks like there might be a couple hundred entries. You won't be out there alone :-)
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  08:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rudeness Warning: like most racers I begin my warmup on a stationary trainer 40 minutes before my race. From that point until after the race I won't be able to talk or answer questions. I expect it's the same for the other racers.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3257 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  10:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Rudeness Warning: .. racers
This is what happens when there is money on the line!! Otherwise Thom is the nicest guy I know! Time to race for the big cash tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3257 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  11:28:53  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One more recumbent - Bob Palmer from Michigan will ride his Volae tomorrow - he'll be a day-of registration.
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1973 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  19:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Luck guys. I think you know what I'll be doing tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4669 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  16:52:16  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great race, thanks Thom!

The weather and course were very good, and the organization was supurb. John Burrell and Don Smith both went off course, or they would have had better times.

Mike came in first (and beat all the roadies with a time of 52.something. Thom came in second, Dennis third, and me fourth. I had a time of 56.18, and Dennis beat me by about 30 seconds. Chris Evans had the fastest time of the day in his Quest with the canopy. Mike wrote down the times, and he'll probably posts those along with the analysis soon. This was Dora's first TT and she won a first place medal in the recumbent class. Not bad.

Picture by Team Cortez

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 08/19/2012 17:06:43
Go to Top of Page

randy
recumbent guru

720 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  17:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thom's looking pretty young and has the best haircut. I didn't even recognize him.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4669 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  18:07:00  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that the first through 4th place finishers above are ordered in speed according to height, shortest, fastest.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  21:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally I feel like the giant on the podium. Not today! Bents made a great showing. Of course Chris Evans blasted everyone in his Quest. But, Mike was first nonfaired and I was fouth. I finally got in the 54s.Two very good DFs were in between us. Then, not far behind us were Dennis and Warren. Everyone did great, especially Dora. She placed very well in the womens class. It was an epic day.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2283 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  05:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to everyone who made yesterday a great day of racing in Celina Ohio. Everyone from the promoters, Roger and Christina Bowersock, to photog John Foote, to the racers, the bent fans, andthe prize sponsor(Bentrideronline.com).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000