Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  14:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Lem

Finding the strongest rider isn't anything "new". Finding a strong rider that is willing has always been a problem.

Larry Lem

I see. I would gather that the main problem getting an elite professional athlete is that elite professional athletes are busy competing in their respective sport?
Go to Top of Page

Victor Ragusila
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
352 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  15:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elite athletes must be rather careful with their body if they are competing in some major event. Few will be interested to train for a rather little know race in Nevada, especially since it takes a bit of time to get used with a Streamliner.

Additionally, there are no off-the-shelf liners that can compete in BM.

You have two types of athletes, either an athlete that is very enthusiastic about BM, such as Sam, or someone part of a big enough team such that he can focus on training and being an athlete, such as Sebastian.
I think everyone is so excited about Obree being interested because he is a very good athlete and he seems the kind of person to get very involved in the sport.

Until there are some high-performance off-the-shelf liners available, there will be very few non-fanatic athletes interested in the sport, because the effort required to compete is so high.

Victor
Go to Top of Page

Speedy
recumbent guru

USA
757 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  16:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most top riders are bound by contracts limiting their time and what brand bikes they can be seen with
or so they say ...
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2012 :  08:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Latest news from Jan 13, 2012...
http://www.irvineherald.co.uk/ayrshire-news/local-news-ayrshire/local-news-irvine/2012/01/13/cycling-legend-s-bid-to-do-the-ton-75485-30100936/

It incorrectly mentions Boulder Mountain and a world championships being held there, and Sam's old record of 82.33 mph, other than that it is a good article. He does praise the officials that will be present. Perhaps even a TV documentary crew will come along.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2292 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  08:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well now I learned that "do the ton" means go 100 mph. I had to look it up because of this article.

The joke would be on all of us if he actually did go 100 mph. We would be scratching our heads for a long time.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  10:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to several articles I've read, Obree has been working on his bike "for 15 years". Does anyone know what it looks like?

Edited by - Adam C on 01/17/2012 12:36:28
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2292 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  13:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there's only one article (one interview), and then many articles written based on that one, and in the original it could be inferred that "working on it for 15 years" could mean the same as "thinking about it for a long time". People tend to place a lot more emphasis on the written word tending to forget that it was just a conversation. That is my interpretation of the "whole" story.

There are no pictures that anyone knows about.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

jjackstone
recumbent enthusiast

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  11:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent an email to the contact address on Obree's website the other day asking if photos of the new bike might be shared here at recumbents.com. Haven't received a reply yet. Probably won't try again because I figure if he wants everyone to see the bike he'll post when he is ready.
JJ
Go to Top of Page

raptobike

Netherlands
55 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  01:33:32  Show Profile  Visit raptobike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Recently Graeme Obree was recently interviewed on BBC Hardtalk. I snipped the little section on the HPV record from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm8NE_raxyg

He talks about 'having the idea in his head for over 10 years'. I plan to visit Battlemountain this year... should be exciting!

Arnold.

Edited by - raptobike on 01/18/2012 01:55:30
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  14:59:20  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In replying why he's doing it, he looks down and says something like "1) the engine is not bad, Nick!", suggesting he's still got the muscles to back that statement up! At the very least, his legs look massive through those suit pants he's wearing sitting in that chair. Go Obree! He sounds better informed about the record than I thought, acknowledging that its 83 mph. The 100 mph part doesn't sound like his or anyone's realistic goal.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 01/18/2012 15:17:38
Go to Top of Page

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

591 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  08:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
better check out his facebook post this morning...
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  10:45:59  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hope he get's it done in time...

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  10:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Krause

I don't have access to FB at work. What did Obree say?!
Go to Top of Page

Speedy
recumbent guru

USA
757 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  13:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all I could find is :
materials have been purchased

quote:
Originally posted by Adam C

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  10:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedy

all I could find is :
materials have been purchased

quote:
Originally posted by Adam C

quote:

Hmmm...I wonder if he has a team to help him build his bike?
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2292 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  11:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope he has some help, there's only 7 months left. Less if you think testing is important...

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  12:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd really like to know what kind of fairing shape he has and how did he settle on that shape?
Go to Top of Page

raptobike

Netherlands
55 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  14:19:55  Show Profile  Visit raptobike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A picture was just posted on Twitter : http://twitter.com/#!/GraemeObree/status/169875056938328064

I see the washing machine has survivd until now :-)

Arnold
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  15:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That isn't very encouraging.
Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  19:35:11  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looked like a 451 wheel on the table...

Opus

My gas is up to $0.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 10 miles to the regular burrito. Dang $0.99 burritos are smaller now.
Go to Top of Page

tim_turner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  21:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"That isn't very encouraging."

Are you kidding!?

once he gets the cutter/grinder disassembled and installed, and finds a long enough extension cord... I mean that thing's gotta be like 3k watts.
GAME OVER.

:)
Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  22:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raptobike

A picture was just posted on Twitter : http://twitter.com/#!/GraemeObree/status/169875056938328064

I see the washing machine has survivd until now :-)

Arnold

All I see is one bike wheel, a pair of forks, and few other parts. And I thought my team was behind schedule. At least we have two sets of ready to use fairing molds.

Edited by - Adam C on 02/15/2012 22:46:53
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1976 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  04:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking like any other HPV racer at this point except it really looks like he is building it in his kitchen. The vice has been firmly clamped to the kitchen table and the big cut off grinder is laying on the table. It is important to have iron in your diet, but I think this is taking things a bit too far.

The other thing that concerns me is that he appears by the way he is holding the tubing to have been completely distracted into thinking about a new position for downhill skiing.

"Hmm, If i put some armrests on these poles and attach them to the skis.."
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2292 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  07:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Less than 7 months to go. Less than that if you don't want your first test to be at Battle Mountain.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

JMvD

Netherlands
93 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  23:19:04  Show Profile  Visit JMvD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Lem

Less than 7 months to go. Less than that if you don't want your first test to be at Battle Mountain.

Larry Lem

First test at Battle Mountain sounds familiar

Cheers,

Jan-Marcel
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000