Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

568 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  10:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cycling/16231501.stm
(I've been talking with Graeme's manager lately)
:)

mikeatlbch
recumbent enthusiast

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  10:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al,
That is an incredible piece of information. If he can pull off a great speed, then It might bring some of the other motors out of mothballs. I like that he has his ideas for a vehicle with speed potential.
There are lots of good motors for the course at battle mountain already. But this is special Someone who also has found speed with some different approaches, which end up with the governing bodies throwing him in with the HPV record crowd after the fact.

HPV records should be without asterics.

Edited by - mikeatlbch on 12/17/2011 10:30:19
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1424 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  12:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
".....probably in Colorado at Battle Mountain....." KEWEL!! He's found a new course outside of Nevada! Well, maybe when you look at the map from 5,000 miles away the distances and names can get smooshed together. Scotland, Ireland, pretty much the same place, right? ;-)

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  13:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What does "talking with Graeme's manager lately" mean? Was he just looking for information or did he say Obree is coming in 2012 for sure? Has Obree ever ridden a faired recumbent before?

Edited by - Adam C on 12/17/2011 13:48:11
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  13:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adam C

What does "talking with Graeme's manager lately" mean? Was he just looking for information or did he say Obree is coming in 2012 for sure? Has Obree ever ridden a faired recumbent before?

Some washing machines look pretty aero.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  13:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackrabbit Jimmy

quote:
Originally posted by Adam C

Some washing machines look pretty aero.

Jackrabbit Jimmy

I hope people don't get too excited too soon. Remember Jason Queally? Queally was in his prime in 2001 while Obree will be 47 years old next September.

Edited by - Adam C on 12/17/2011 14:04:31
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  14:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's abit harsh, Garrie. I'm sure they'll find the place if needed be. I'd like to say Obree couldn't know something we don't(very likely), but he did know something the other DFers didn't know back in the 90s. And he got the boot just like the bents.

One look at his bike and those of us who know what it takes will know if he is onto something. When we saw the Blue Yonder we knew they weren't. And no way they would listen to us HPVers.
I hope he at least shows up with something competitive. I hope he read that page Warren put together on what NOT to build....
Go to Top of Page

mikeatlbch
recumbent enthusiast

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  15:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just happy an amazing famous world class record holder is interested in trying the rule free "nonjudgemental" hpv world where only speed matters. His choice for speed in the past certainly showed out of the box dream capability. Good fortune here.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2245 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  15:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope he attacks the WRRA hour record for unfaired recumbents along the way. Then Aure, Niels, and Gugi will really have something to chase.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

jjackstone
recumbent enthusiast

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  17:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I hope people don't get too excited too soon. Remember Jason Queally? Queally was in his prime in 2001 while Obree will be 47 years old next September."

And we've already seen 45-50 year olds over 70 mph.
JJ
Go to Top of Page

britCpower
recumbent enthusiast

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  18:03:25  Show Profile  Visit britCpower's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this a great thing for HPV racing. It will get us press all over the cycling world. I have been a huge OBree fan for many years. If he does come to battle mountain sign me up as a volunteer as I dont want to miss it.

my blog
http://britcpower.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1974 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  18:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever the case,
This is absolutely GREAT for our sport. Obree is a legendary cyclist and brilliant designer I can't wait to see what transpires. A chance to go head to head with Obree. I wouldn't miss this for he world.

Sean.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

568 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  18:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I've been talking with Graeme's manager lately)
means we have exchanged several emails, and we plan a skype call soon. he said Graeme is thinking about "having a go at the record", and what the dates were. I can't answer your other questions.
thanks
Go to Top of Page

calfeenated
recumbent enthusiast

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  18:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JJ, Ya baby I hear ya! This should energize Eric a bit for next year.

Sean, Does this mean we might see you back in a streamliner soon?

Graeme is one of my favorite cyclists of all time, He has been at odds with the UCI pretty much ever since he set his first record and he'd still show how innovative you could be within the rules. It only makes sense he's finally designing a streamliner where you have freedom to do anything in the quest for more speed. Hearing that he's been contemplating this for the last 15 years must mean he's been watching the event for quite a while. Dang this is cool news!

If Graeme shows up and does something amazing I'd bet we start seeing more big names.
Names like...Longo? Markham? Rob English? Hamilton?

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2245 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  19:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what year. If he's not ready for 2012, I hope that he shows up to take it all in and learn a few things.
(It's already a bit late to be starting the build of a new bike unless you have an experienced team with lots of manpower.)

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  21:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jjackstone

"I hope people don't get too excited too soon. Remember Jason Queally? Queally was in his prime in 2001 while Obree will be 47 years old next September."

And we've already seen 45-50 year olds over 70 mph.
JJ

Oh sure and that's great. However, Obree says he wants to go 100 mph. What are the odds of him coming to Battle Mountain in 2012 and crushing Sam Wittingham, Velox, and all the other 70 mph HPV's by 20-25 mph? But if he does come I'm going to first in line to meet him and chat with him.

Edited by - Adam C on 12/17/2011 21:08:27
Go to Top of Page

Gugi100

Netherlands
79 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  01:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Graham Obree showing up would be fun. But talking about 100 mph.... doesnot sound like much realism...
In this article http://road.cc/content/news/49299-ton-graeme-obree-plans-shatter-human-powered-vehicle-world-land-speed-record
the breaking of the 100 mile barier is compared to the longjump of Bob Beamon 1968. But here is the improvement was "only" 8.3%.

The 100 mph barier is an improvement of the existing record of more then 20 % ......
Funny guy, and funny "management".

Gr GJ

Edited by - Gugi100 on 12/18/2011 04:06:39
Go to Top of Page

Runxner
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  03:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Burrows already built him one bike...

Team Low-Life
Lowracer Test Pilot/Evangelist
Adelaide, Australia
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1974 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  07:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago he worked with Chris Field of Hotta and the designer of the Blueyonder. I don't recall why it never went through There should be an old photo lying around of the design. The bike had a huge rear wheel.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  07:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone who has said they could go 100 mph got embarrassed. I very much hope this doesn't happen. As exciting as it was when Queally and Blue Yonder got involved, it didn't turn out well. Hasn't Obree spoken seriously of attempting the nonfaired hour. What became of that?
And, who thinks his age is a problem? Who on this forum thinks they can out pedal a 47 year old Obree? Not me.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  07:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, Sean posted as I typed. Maybe they didn't get the performance numbers they wanted. What is with those guys and the huge back wheel? Didn't the Blue Yonder have a 30" wheel, or something? As an advocate of using a smaller rear wheel for reasons of aerodynamics and weight bias, maybe the large rear wheel was a poor idea. Why does everyone always try to reinvent the wheel? Ha ha.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2245 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  09:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://velonews.competitor.com/2004/04/track/obree-drops-hour-record-bid_5843

2004 comeback was abandoned.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

britCpower
recumbent enthusiast

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  12:45:19  Show Profile  Visit britCpower's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just curious: Sam's bike looks like it is pretty aero and it is hard to imagine significant gains over that design.

How many Watts did it take to set the existing record?
How many more watts would it take that same bike to do 100MPH ?

Is it even humanly possible to achieve 100MPH even if someone like Cancellara had a go?

my blog
http://britcpower.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2376 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  13:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of these engineer types will know. But it is ALOT more. Twice, maybe. More than any human. Ain't like Sam can't pedal as hard in a bent position as anyone on the planet. Which begs the question, will Mr Obree train himself to make power in a recumbent position. Remember, Queally wanted no part of an open recumbent position. Unlikely to set a record sitting up straight.
Go to Top of Page

davidw

Netherlands
59 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  13:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting stuff! If he's been working on it for 15yrs he should have some pictures to show :-D
I think 100mph should be possible within the next 10 years. With a combination of better bikes and better athletes.
We're expecting about 90mph with the WT values for the new bike, combined with the power values from Sebastiaan. And it should also be possible to find a few people on this planet even stronger than Sebastiaan...

David Wielemaker
HPTDelft
Go to Top of Page

Gugi100

Netherlands
79 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  13:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidw

We're expecting about 90mph with the WT values for the new bike, combined with the power values from Sebastiaan. And it should also be possible to find a few people on this planet even stronger than Sebastiaan...

David Wielemaker
HPTDelft

And I don't think Obree wil be among the people that can outpower Sebastiaan.....

I am even tempted to say that Obree will even have a hard time outpowering me. But here I am not that sure....

Gr GJ

Edited by - Gugi100 on 12/18/2011 13:39:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000