Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  11:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a runner and I do many of my long runs at the Los Gatos Creek Trail. Several times I've run into people riding the Glide Cycle.

http://glidecycle.com/

randy
recumbent guru

721 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  12:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk of shattering my walls, that thing sure looks dorky.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2297 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  12:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, bodyweight supported by harness, but legs trying to propel body weight + vehicle weight.
What happens on an uphill? Can the legs drive body weight if they aren't weighted? I have my doubts. What is the max grade (uphill) that this device can be used?

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
266 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  14:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go down hill pretty bloody fast I reckon. It would be especially exciting on some of the bigger hills around here that have a stop light at the bottom.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Southbeachchick
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  22:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've run on a GlideCycle regularly for two years and it is a really fun and highly aerobic workout without any painful impact to leg joints or the spine. You should really try one out. Omega Sports Rehab in Los Gatos sells them and provides free demos. Just Google them on the internet. I especially appreciate how well it goes up hills and how users can maintain powerful momentum even up 10+ mile long mountain passes. It is easy to position yourself running up hills so that you have a strong mechanical advantage, plus with your feet directly contacting the ground, you don't waste energy through a gear system that is trying to propel both you and your combined body weight at the same time. GlideCycles go right up hills that bicycles go up. It is a highly efficient system and although new and different, people don't think they are so dorky when they see the kind of fitness and muscle development they create in people who GlideCycle regularly. It's a truly powerful workout. Kudos to the team at GlideCycle for putting the fun back into running for many and for creating such a great sport.
Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

339 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  10:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and now a word from our sponsor...
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  03:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically a hobby horse. What goes around, comes around. Only took 200 years. But, if it helps some people exercise, right on!
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
635 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  15:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only question is: Why?
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1457 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  15:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because!

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

mikeatlbch
recumbent enthusiast

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  19:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deweighted training is great for injury reduction and training when injured. Going faster and farther brings the risks of cycling into running. It also adds a bulky piece of equipment to trails. It is interesting.
But is this group being forced an ad?
Warren, the billing virus for them if they are conducting advertising without payment;-)
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  19:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a Pederson with no pedals would be more elegant.
Go to Top of Page

purplepeopledesign
recumbent guru

Canada
585 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  00:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If all you need to do is unweight your ankles, then a pair of Aircast ankle braces will suffice. I spent one summer long ago literally running on a sprained ankle with one of those.

:)ensen.

Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.

Video of my trike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSLRD_2vzc
Photos of my trike
http://www.flickr.com/photos/purplepeople/
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4896 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:15:02  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like genuine enthusiasts to me, or near enough to make no nevermind. To each his (or her) own...

Edited by - warren on 12/05/2011 17:15:22
Go to Top of Page

Victor Ragusila
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
352 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what we need is a high speed recumbent version. A seat angle of 2 deg, low seat, and you can push yourself with your hands. Pretty soon, you will have shoulders made of bears...

reminds me of that bike treadmill i saw a while back.
http://www.bikeforest.com/tread/ Both are a very complex substitute for a good pair of running shoes.

Victor
Go to Top of Page

W Hilgenberg
recumbent enthusiast

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  19:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this has already been done before. . .

Go to Top of Page

Victor Ragusila
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
352 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  19:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just came up with the best exercise ever:

Have you ever wished to get your best gym exercise outdoors but it is raining? Use the Treadmill bike on rollers!!!

Also, i recomend using the Glidecycle on a treadmill.

I guess people like these machines, i cant see their logic...

Victor
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  21:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the hobby horse of my first post. I once saw a great lithograph of a guy on a hobby horse, and a dog was chasing him!
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1978 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  15:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clearly this bike is just a hobby horse. It seems completely insane to me why one would design one with the spanning tube over the riders head unless it supported some sort of heavy duty umbrella that would shield cosmic rays or you just like to make people laugh at your own expense.

Even if you insisted on having a "crotch sling experience", you could still just run the tube under the sling. I imagine all the Hobby Horse patents are sufficiently retired by now so there is no need to avoid them.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  16:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laugh if you want, but think of the wacky gymnastics you could do. Go to a belt strap on a gimble and you could do flips. How about chin ups as you go down a hill. It's a whole gym on 2 wheels.
Go to Top of Page

Southbeachchick
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  22:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why GlideCycle? It allows running exercise instead of pedaling, without any pounding on joints. It's great to have that intensity of exercise again and is an ideal cross trainer. No pressure on sensitive hands or stress on the neck and back joints which is great for all the recumbent riders who have reluctantly given up their wedgie bikes. I wouldn't expect recumbent riders to worry about looking different or silly:) It's all good.
Go to Top of Page

Southbeachchick
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  22:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, most importantly, no pressure on the crotch like the wedgie bikes. That's cool and a step ahead of the old runbikes. Overhead bar creates a smooth spring arch suspension. Gotta love it.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  07:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your weight isn't on your crotch, what is holding your weight? Something different in the crotchal region, I suspect.
Southbeachchick, please realize this is a forum of persons who design or redesign human powered vehicles. Often resulting in improvements in performance. I don't doubt that any of the guys who posted on this topic could produce a different design that would accomplish the same effect. And maybe fit in a car without disassembly.
Go to Top of Page

purplepeopledesign
recumbent guru

Canada
585 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  20:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Southbeach. If you are one of the management at Glidecycle, I am available to design your new and improved model. There's obviously money in your industry since all sorts of people send away for the Bowflex and other fitness equipment, so I think it would be very interesting and lucrative for me to help out.

:)ensen

www.purplepeopledesign.com

Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.

Video of my trike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSLRD_2vzc
Photos of my trike
http://www.flickr.com/photos/purplepeople/
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1978 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  20:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what the hour world record for Draisine is. Time to fire up the AMB!! I think that on the 200th year anniversary of the hobby horse in 2017 we should have a group event to Home Depot or an equivalent lumber sponsor and build Hobby horses (with modern wheels) in the morning and have an hour record competition and 200M competition in the Afternoon. I imagine those records would hold up for a long time. I call dibs on the Fred Flintstone outfit.

I wonder if anyone would build one like the Glidecycle?

Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2297 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  06:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait till you see what I'm bringing to Battle Mountain!

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Victor Ragusila
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
352 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  13:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, the GlideCycle transmission mechanism would be a marked improvement over your usual transmission ... :P:P
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000