Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
271 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  11:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will post a calendar event with more details in the next few days but thought I would post the dates as several people have made enquiries with me.

Warren, if you finish your cruiser in time you can enter it in "I'm Stylin' Class".

Jackrabbit Jimmy

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
271 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  13:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The calendar listing has now been posted with more details. There may be some minor changes to the listing but nothing substantive.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Racer46
Starting Member

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  17:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might not make it this year. Got laid off in July so money is tight. I'm also trying to get a business of the ground so time becomes an issue, not just for the trip down but practice time. I've quit logging my miles because they have been so infrequent. I'm going to miss you guys this year, I'm out of syrup.

Pete

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity. Author:Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
271 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  05:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete I hope you find a way to make it down to races and if you can't you will be missed.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
271 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  13:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A supply of Canada's finest maple has been secured for the Maple Leaf Mile race.

I just need to think of a place to "store" it when we cross the border.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3492 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  15:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jimmy, I'll be there. I think you should mail that Maple Syrup there - I wouldn't want you or the other Canucks attracting too much attention at the border.
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
271 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  05:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those Northeners having trouble deciding whether they should go to the race in Florida in five weeks, here are today's forecasts for the high temperatures:

Chicago, Illinois 20 F
Granville, Ohio 36 F
Indianapolis, Indiana 29 F
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 8 F
Toronto, Ontario 29 F
Whitehorse, Yukon -27 F
Kenai, Alaska -18 F

Miami, Florida 78 F

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3492 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  06:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackrabbit Jimmy

For those Northeners having trouble deciding whether they should go to the race in Florida in five weeks, here are today's forecasts for the high temperatures:

Chicago, Illinois 20 F
Granville, Ohio 36 F
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 8 F
Toronto, Ontario 29 F
Whitehorse, Yukon -27 F
Kenai, Alaska -18 F

Miami, Florida 78 F

Jackrabbit Jimmy

What's up with the high temperature bubble over Granville? Garrie's must be heating some carbon in his skunk works factory for it to be warm there!
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
recumbent guru

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  06:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Time off of work has been approved, hotel has been booked, I'm ready to go now! Can't wait! Always a good time racing in Florida.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Jackrabbit Jimmy

Chicago, Illinois 20 F
Granville, Ohio 36 F
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 8 F
Toronto, Ontario 29 F
Whitehorse, Yukon -27 F
Kenai, Alaska -18 F

Miami, Florida 78 F

Jackrabbit Jimmy

Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1464 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  06:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
271 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  04:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Shark Valley ride I went on last year was so much fun I went on it again. I saw more alligators including one that was more active than others. It walked out to the middle of the path and plopped itself down facing me. Fortunately it got up soon afterwards and moved to the edge of the path. The picture shows the alligator going over to visit it's buddy. The alligators were fairly big as you can see from the cyclists in the background and the one walking was taller than I expected. I was on a lowracer so perhaps the gator is saying to the other one "Hey Fred, this ones at chewing level. I tried to take a picture as I passed this pair but it didn't turn out as well as I hoped perhaps because I was more worried about getting by than taking the picture.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4946 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  06:38:05  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arrangements are all made, so I'll be there too!
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3492 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  12:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to being there too! Jim, I'm driving down this time, so that the airline don't hold my funky recumbent "bicycle" for "inspection" for 36 hours. Wonder what they did with it all that time?
Pete - I hope you can make it!
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
recumbent guru

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  05:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I have a 2 bedroom suite with a pullout sofa bed in the living room. The sofa bed is yours if you want it.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Upright Mike

I'm looking forward to being there too! Jim, I'm driving down this time, so that the airline don't hold my funky recumbent "bicycle" for "inspection" for 36 hours. Wonder what they did with it all that time?
Pete - I hope you can make it!
Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Edited by - Grasshopper on 02/07/2012 05:29:12
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1464 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  05:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike;
Are you going on the Monday, Shark Valley ride with us? Another piece of alligator bait is always welcome! ;-)

and
and videos

Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
271 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  10:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we are doing the Shark Valley ride I would recommend someone bring a light. It makes it easier to spot critters on the path in the dark. I did the return leg by myself this year in the dark. At the start of my return journey it was light enough to see a snake on the road. I didn't see any alligators or hit any big bumps on the road.

Another suggestion is bug spray. I met up with another recumbent rider on my return leg and chatted with him for a while and got a lot of mosquito bites as a result of stopping.

Some bike riders started their ride in the park after dark (I'm not sure why). I caused riders with and without lights some worry as they were unsure of what I was. They told me all they knew for sure that whatever was approaching them was not that tall.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3492 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  12:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Chris,
I'd love to take up your offer of a sofa couch - otherwise Ive been known to sleep on concrete floors too - but that's due to work-overload at times.

I hope to depart Michigan on Wednesday after work, drive to Speedbiker's house in Ohio (I've offered to kidnap him to take him along, but he's not biting). We might work out a bit on the trainers, then I'll drive the rest of the way to Florida Thurs/Friday.

Garrie - at this point I don't plan on being in town Monday, I should be half-way home by them. Those pesky alligators will have do without skinny little me as bait!
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3492 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  18:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One week till Florida!

BTW: Jim, Garrie, Chris - I was just reading online about this so-called Shark Valley ride. I didn't find any mentions of sharks, but did see the following
- mention of nasty insects, hot weather, subtropical climate.
- warnings that vultures (birds) will attack the rubber on your car tires (what about lowracer tires?)
- caution to never bike, ride or walk alone in the park, without letting a "friend" know where you're going.

Just what the heck goes on at this place?
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4946 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  06:23:31  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forecast for the race weekend:
Saturday: Overcast. High of 73F. Winds less than 5 mph.
Saturday Night: Overcast. Low of 64F. Winds less than 5 mph.
Sunday: Mostly cloudy. High of 75F. Winds from the NE at 5-15 mph.
Sunday Night: Partly cloudy. Low of 68F. Winds from the East at 5-20 mph.

Sounds marvelous!
Go to Top of Page

revbsg

101 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  09:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For anyone interested in race results, below is a link that will be constantly updated as results are available. Initially they will be very unofficial, but should be available almost instantaneously.

I suggest you bookmark this link so that they can be readily accessible on your phone, Ipad, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AqBSozsxbMoOdDJkVlAwR2Z0T29Qdzd6SEVCNzJZckE&output=html

A blank score sheet is up there now, and it will be filled in as the races occur.

Godspeed,
Your Scorekeeper
Go to Top of Page

John Schlitter

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  18:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone got suggestions for hotel's for this race. Can not remember what the one was we stayed at last year. I believe Warren and Gary stayed at the same place.

Not a big B crowd, Jacquie and I for sure with her daughter Lexi.

Should be fun, still feeling Sebring in the legs.

Keep spinning
John Schlitter
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1464 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  18:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey John!
Several of us are at the Staybridge Inn
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/staybridge/hotels/us/en/plantation/fllpf/hoteldetail?hotelCode=fllpf&cm_mmc=DCE-_-Pre-SB-02012012-_-usen-_-BODY2HOTEL

and
and videos

Go to Top of Page

John Schlitter

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  18:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary, will see if we can get in.

Thanks

Keep spinning
John Schlitter
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
recumbent guru

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  17:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any racers or non racers that will be in town on Friday...we'll be at the Brian Picollo crit course at 11:00am or so riding around getting reaquainted with our bikes, fine tuning, hanging out shooting the breeze. Come on out!

Chris Cortez
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4946 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  07:04:29  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Big snow predicted for Chi-town. Fingers crossed that flights are not delayed.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4946 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  14:50:12  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a bit of drama getting to the races, but ended up getting to Florida before the big snow, so it all worked out fine.

Today was a marvelous day for racing, and the 1 mile sprints, 20 lap race, and 200 meter events came off without a hitch.

Bruce did a great job of getting the results posted as the races were occurring, and the results are here

Mike Mowett beat the 1 mile standing start course record with a time of 1:59.1 (30.23 MPH Ave), Followed closed by John Schlitter who had a time of 1:59.4 (30.15 MPH).

In the 20 minute race, the "B" team took 1st and 2nd place with Kent Polk in first and John in second, followed by me about 1/2 a lap down.

For the 200 meter standing start sprints, we had a great tail wind. This event was won by Kent Polk who showed that he was clearly still fatigued from his great 24 hour ride last week at Sebring, by running through the traps in 13.47 seconds (33.21). He was followed closely by John S, then Brian Stevens, and me.

We are off to Romanos now for some Cuban food, then more racing tomorrow!

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 02/27/2012 12:29:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000