Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Royle Juusola
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  22:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,

Do any of you know of any good resources to help establish the wheelbase and track width of a trike? I'd rather not just carry dimensions over from last year(I'd like to make something a little bit narrower), but I don't want to just pick some arbitrary numbers. Most of our team graduated last year, so we have a team consisting entirely of underclassmen who needless to say haven't taken vehicle dynamics.

Thanks,
Royle Juusola
SDSMT HPV Team Lead

Victor Ragusila
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
352 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  21:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check out the build section of the forum at http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whatsup.htm#Fairing Building Projects

Also, you can probably copy a good production trike, like a catrike or ICE. They usually have dimensions on their websites.

I never built a trike, so i am not very helpful...

Victor
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer
recumbent guru

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  22:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might also find some helpful information on trikes and their geometry in the IHPVA online library.

Don
Go to Top of Page

Speedy
recumbent guru

USA
760 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  09:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the best resource I found for understanding tricycle dynamics came from a airplane design book ... most airplanes are trikes when on the ground
a general rule of thumb is each wheel carries 33.3% of the weight
or
the track width carries 66.6%
from antidotal or practical experience I would say if the design strays too far from this rule of thumb the handling will get difficult

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer
recumbent guru

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  21:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The center of gravity of the trike and rider in relationship to wheel configuration and the distribution of weight to the various wheels or axles plus it's altitude are key ingredients in determining if a trike will skid, spin out, flip over, or successfully nagivigate a corner. Tire choices, wheel alignment, and steering geometry are also important factors that play key roles in cornering performance. I'd still recommend the volumes in the IHPVA archives as required reading for anyone contemplating building a trike from scratch. Airplane landing gear isn't designed for high speed cornering and at higher speeds the tires don't provide steering control to the plane. Just because a lot of people are doing something doesn't make it the best solution.
Go to Top of Page

Speedy
recumbent guru

USA
760 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  13:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for a more complex read on the subject
Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by William and Douglas Milliken
ISBN: 978-1-56091-526-3

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic