New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mairib216
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  13:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, my name's Mairi and I'm doing an article on the HPVC for METoday. I'm trying to get people to respond to a couple of questions. Why did you want to become a member of the HPV Team? What did you think you were going to get out of it? What was the process like leading up to the event? Would you recommend joining the HPV Team to others? Thanks.

W Hilgenberg
recumbent enthusiast

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  17:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there,
My name's Will Hilgenberg and I'm a member of the Cal Poly HPV Team.

Why did I want to become an HPV Member:
Because it was a combination of three of my favorite things; cycling, aerodynamics, and speed. I found ti my freshman year and I haven't looked back.

What did I think I was going to get out of it:
I simply joined because I wanted to have fun and play with composites. What I've ended up coming away with is practical knowledge in aerodynamic design, ability to fabricate nearly anything, and a lot of confidence in my ability to design and construct things.

What was the process like leading up to the event:
Very very busy in the end. At the beginning of the year we do a lot of time-consuming but relatively slow-paced work to finish the molds for the carbon fiber layups. Once the molds are finished things pick up quite a bit as it is usually late in the build season and things need to be finished quickly. I ended up staying up until 2 or 4 in the morning for the entire month prior to the event in order to get it finished in time. And that's on top of school so it was very hectic and sleepless.

Would I recommend joining:
Absolutely!! I can only speak for m team but everyone at Cal Poly SLO works really well together and we have essentially developed into something of a family. It's always great to be there from beginning to end and see what you and your friends have created.
Go to Top of Page

Victor Ragusila
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
352 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  13:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey All

My name is Victor Ragusila. I started working with the University of Toronto human powered team on the bike team after we have completed the flights of a human powered ornithopter.
We found that the HPV competition is a very interesting blend of engineering design, manufacturing and athletics. A good bike cannot only be well designed or well constructed, it has to be adapted to certain riders. The way it controls, the way it fits, and the way it looks make it a whole machine.
The racing aspect of the competition brings it all together, requiring not only a good machine and fit riders, but also a good strategy and training.
We also found that participating in other races, especially the World Human Powered Speed Championships in Battle Mountain gives us a lot of experience and a very good chance to race the machines even more.

While bicycles are very old and very common machines, there is still so much left to understand and experiment with.

Victor
Go to Top of Page

Mairib216
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  07:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for responding to my post. Is there anything else you'd like to tell someone interested in joining a HPVC team?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000