New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

warren
human power expert

4873 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  16:13:25  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished making the battery box clamps. The battery box is held on by tube clamps in the front and back, and is stabilized by a bolt on the back side of the box that slides into the frame. It's very solid.
I moved the controller out of the battery box and cut a couple inches out of the height of the box. The controller is now mounted to the bottom of the box to fill in some of the space provided by the curvy frame.

This shot shows the mounting brackets.

I still have a lot of work to do to lengthen/shorten the wires, and route them in the frame, but I was able to put it together enough to take it for it's maiden e-powered voyage around the block. It was marvelous. The the bike feels great at speed and temps were amazing for February. I think we sent all the cold and snow to Europe.

I'm starting to think about color. Probably black.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  17:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Warren. Most bobbers, including mine, are flat black. Bass boat metal flake is cool, too.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2291 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  20:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could replace the battery box with an aquarium full of live tropical fish. That'd be neat.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4873 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  06:20:19  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A tank full of fish / water would be cool, and actually lighter!

Flat black is appropriate, thanks. In the early 1980s my "project" was my 1970 Camaro hotrod, which was flat black and had "EXPERIMENTAL UNIT" in red block letters on the rear spoiler. Painting this the same way seems right.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  07:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren, if you want it to look retro cool, fab up some pvc to look like the exhaust on an Indian inline four, and paste it on the side of your battery box. That, and leather handlebar grip tassles and some leather fringe on your seat and you'll be set.
Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

339 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  08:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a vinyl graphic of an electric eel with electrodes, wires and sparks stuck inside the battery tank would be the bomb.

Edited by - harv on 02/06/2012 08:45:18
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
265 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  05:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren I need my next fix of vicarious bike building.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4873 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  07:13:04  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not too much exciting, Mr. Jimmy. I fixed the chain line and ran wires & cables in the top frame tube yesterday. Now I need to solder a bunch of connectors. Yesterday was almost a complete washout as I was on the phone all day for an outage at work. What a waste. Lets see what happens today!
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4873 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  18:39:41  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After spacing out the main idler a bit, the chain no longer rubs on the battery box. This is a good thing. I decided to remove the lower idler and just put on a chain tube. Also that idler bolt is a bit beefy for holding on a chain tube, so I'll remove it and attach the chain tube to the chain stay.
That's the throttle cable hanging there...

Most of my spare time this weekend was spent drilling holes in the frame and plumbing the wiring, brake, and derailleur cable through the top tube. It looks clean. I found a nice monitor extension cable with 12 conductors to get the throttle, Cycle Analyst, and headlight power wiring back to the battery box.

In this picture you can see the wires going into the frame by the headset, some out of focus wires, and that black box up on top of the handlebars is the Cycle Analyst.

The throttle is wired up and tested, but it's COLD in the garage and my fingers get numb doing the wire splicing. This week I'll finish up the CA wiring and get the connections all cleaned up.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4873 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  10:12:49  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Went on a nice short ride to test out the bike and take a video. Here's a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNJ86spZBf8

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
recumbent guru

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  10:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The video was way cool. Love the bike too.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
265 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  12:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have to agree cool video. I noticed the nice touches of the goggles, appropriate helmet, leather jacket and jeans. After you completely finish the bike and post another video, I am confident it will have "Born To Be Wild" playing in the background.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4873 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  14:38:00  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Haha, Jimmie you are a mind reader. I was planning exactly that. I have it on a tape somewhere and just need to convert it to digital format.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1451 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  15:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Born to be Mild"
"Heck's Angels"
"Rebel Without a Clue"

and, of course....

"Easy Racers" !!

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  17:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks really cool. What kind of range do you expect?
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4873 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  19:06:04  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When this battery and motor were mounted on my commuter MTB it went about 20 miles at 30MPH. This position is marginally more aero, so maybe a bit more now.
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
265 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  04:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren I don't know how much hassle it is to do the audio conversion but I am quite sure I can save you the work. If you email me after I get home from Florida, I would be delighted to email you back the song.

quote:
Originally posted by warren

Thanks guys. Haha, Jimmie you are a mind reader. I was planning exactly that. I have it on a tape somewhere and just need to convert it to digital format.

-Warren.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4873 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  13:02:25  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I added the braces between the upper and lower stays. Were they needed? Probably not, those Surly dropouts are very beefy, but now I know it's really strong.
That funky looking silver thing will be the rear tail light. In a past life it was a quartz-halogen spot light. In a past life it was a quartz-halogen spot light. I'm waiting on some red LED 12V lights from china. I hope they show up soon.

Finally added the rear fender. To remain true to the "bobber" style, it has been chopped.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4873 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  16:14:30  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished painting the bike flat black. I like it. I have ridden it to work several times. It runs and handles nice, but I am missing the recumbent seat. It think I can angle the nose of the seat down a bit, maybe that will help. Otherwise I will need to find a tour-easy cobra seat or similar.

I took these pictures with the cell-phone camera on the patio by the pond at work. It's a nice background. I enhanced the colors in these pictures.

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 04/02/2012 16:15:48
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power supergeek

USA
1897 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  18:17:14  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey mister, where did you get that bike?!

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1451 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  05:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG!!!! Warren painted his bike!!!!

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2442 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  07:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good look!
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
279 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  03:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful job on the chopper Warren. It has a bit of steam punk thing happening like Will Smith should be riding it in Wild Wild West movie, come to think of it, it wouldn't look out of place in Men In Black either.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Challenge
recumbent enthusiast

Netherlands
142 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  03:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Warren, I think you should have a look at the Chopaderos forum. They make some pretty wild bikes. I've made a custom bike a couple of years ago from an old mountainbike. It pays off to use as many gears as you can. Usually, cruiser/lowrider/chopper bikes are 1 gear, 3 gear up to 8 gear hub.
I think I've seen your first design, with the handle bar in the center of the frame, in a commercial. I think it was Jeep or something. I have to look into that.
Great project by the way!

edited: found the commerial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QfHDeqpbjw

Edited by - Steven Challenge on 04/23/2012 04:06:02
Go to Top of Page

zeroemission
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  15:49:01  Show Profile  Visit zeroemission's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that looks a lot like a "stretch limo" to me. you can get similar bikes with off the shelf frames from shops like lovely lowrider (DON'T buy from street lowrider though! they're lying crooks!)

stretch lowrider:
http://www.sahkopyora.net/bnews/data/upimages/LIMO_Bicycle.jpg

limos are in between bents and comfort bikes, but they're a cheaper solution.

sadly, it looks like "twentysixinch.com" is no longer in business. they used to build custom limos with custom paint jobs starting at around $1200 i think. that's cheaper than just getting a beach cruiser's frame & fenders painted at a local custom cars & cycles shop.

i had a very similar idea recently after oggling day 6 semi-bents & picturing them with a cruiser style frame or a straight tube MTB/chopper style diamond frame. it would be cool to have the ability to weld frames.

if i had my way, i'd own a bike shop that does custom painting with custom parts and maybe even frames. everything that makes bikes look cooler than the enemy of all that is natural, internal combustion monsters, is a good thing in my book. cool bikes enthuse those that are at least open minded about transportation.

Save the planet... ride a bike!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000