Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  09:47:05  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is the URL for that springer fork?

I put on some cranks and tried out "the position". Looks like I can shorten up the 'bars about 6", yay!

Spokes arrived for the front wheel and I built up the drum brake wheel. Now I have to make a bracket for the torque arm.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
279 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  11:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/brainfork.html
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
279 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  11:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only area John Brain skims over is the bottom bearing cone. I contacted him about this shortly after reading it, he fessed up that he uses hard to find cones from forks of '70's moto shock bikes that seats directly on the 1 inch steerer tube. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  05:42:59  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fabricated a clamp to hold the brake torque arm in place.

I measured and it has 2.5" of trail which is as designed. I rolled it down the driveway and it seemed to handle ok at that speed.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2011 :  11:33:47  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I liberated some more parts off of the MTB e-bike. I wanted to get the front brake working today but I trashed the cable, so I settled on just taking a picture of me on the bike in the garage.

I was thinking the big handlebars would work out, but now I'm having second thoughts. They are really big. That top tube is too perfectly placed as the mount for remote steering.

Merry Christmas!

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 12/25/2011 11:35:01
Go to Top of Page

steve
Starting Member

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  09:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool bike.
Seeing you on it gives an idea of how long it really is.
Stasia said you look like a kid in the 1940s sitting on your 1st Schwin at Christmas.

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  08:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost time for that bass boat metalflake paint job!
Go to Top of Page

Speedy
recumbent guru

USA
759 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  09:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slide show of cool bikes
mostly choppers types with a recumbent or 2

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=F242625B103D3E9F&id=F242625B103D3E9F!636&sc=photos#cid=F242625B103D3E9F&id=F242625B103D3E9F!506&sc=photos

Edited by - Speedy on 12/28/2011 09:35:02
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
279 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  13:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you going to cook up a lumbar support back rest for it?
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  09:39:26  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool bikes Speedy, They are like the anti-recumbent bikes. Completely form over function.

I'll have to ride the bike some to see if it needs a back rest. Probably it won't.

Brake handles do hit the top tube when the steering is turned, but I won't be riding on any sidewalks with this bike so it's fine. I did have to file a bit off of the handlebar mounting bracket so it would not rub the top tube. Close tolerances! I cut about 6" off of the handlebars so they do not look so long now. Feet clear the tire fine.

I have all the parts to put the human power part of the drivetrain together now. I need to braze on some bolts to mount chain idlers and cap some tubes before I put it back together. After that I will be able to mount the old Ping batteries and then it will be time to take it for a ride.

Happy New Year all!

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Runxner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  15:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PUGZCAT

Are you going to cook up a lumbar support back rest Sissy Bar for it?

Fixed

Team Low-Life
Lowracer Test Pilot/Evangelist
Adelaide, Australia

Edited by - Runxner on 12/30/2011 15:01:10
Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  16:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedy

slide show of cool bikes
mostly choppers types with a recumbent or 2

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=F242625B103D3E9F&id=F242625B103D3E9F!636&sc=photos#cid=F242625B103D3E9F&id=F242625B103D3E9F!506&sc=photos

Those are some neat bike designs, Speedy! I wonder how many are actually ridable?
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
279 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  17:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/onthemove/cycling/newsletter_en.html

A large chopper packing balloons and umbrella surfaced for bike lane opening.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power supergeek

USA
1899 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  15:12:48  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Warren, you can't pawn that bike off as a chopper or a recumbent, its a crank forward low rider, so you better think up a better name than Choppercuda. Happy New Year.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  06:27:21  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Tony, Naw it can't be a low rider because the pedals do not scrape the ground.

Obviously I have invented an entirely new genre of bicyle. I will rush posthaste to the local patent office with my line drawings and submit the required paperwork. I'll make millions!

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  08:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember your friends, Mr Millionaire!
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  10:24:11  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After much cutting, brazing, grinding, and brushing, the tubes in the rear sub-frame are now capped. Yes they still need some cleanup, I am far from a perfect brazer.

Before reassembling the bike, I need to add a small gusset tube between the upper and lower stays and add the mounting post for the chain guide pulleys.

I have been thinking about the bike stand. This will integrate with the rear suspension pivot and fold up to put relatively inconspicuous. A bolt on the back side of the pictured slot acts as a stop to keep the gear in up or down position.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  19:11:03  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I added the mounting posts for the chain guide pulleys, finished brazing the BB mounts and capped another tube, then started to re-assemble the bike. I want to ride it before doing any more brazing!

It's getting heavy...

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  12:39:34  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that the chain is in place I can build the battery box. This picture show the battery placement and size, along with tentative mounting points. I have some smoked lexan sheets that were removed from equipment, which I will heat and bend to make a battery trough and the lid. The controller, BMS, power switch, charge port, and a DC to DC converter for the lighting will be mounted in the lid. cables will be run inside of the frame tubing as much as possible.

The chrome fenders from choppersus.com arrived today. I'll have to chop them up a bit as I don't need fenders that wrap around that much.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2297 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  13:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow.
I am trying to recall what the original purpose of this build was. I don't see a specific goal on the first page other than to make a big, swoopy chopper. Was pedal power, now is electric assist.

For all of the work you're putting into this, in what situations will you ride it? Or is that simply undiscovered territory?

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  13:33:31  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am a 50 year old man who likes to play with bicycles, but only if they go fast.

It was built with e-assist in mind. Is the rear hub motor really that stealth looking? Plans are to commute to work on it occasionally if I can find someplace to park it. What, did you think I was just going to pedal this 55 pound (75 lbs after I add the batteries) monstrosity placidly around my neighborhood making vroom-vroom noises?

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 01/16/2012 13:35:04
Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

339 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  14:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the polycarbonate isn't too thick, you can cold bend it in a press brake. If you haven't heat bent the stuff before, heat it slowly because it's hygroscopic and the entrained water will turn to steam and make bubbles and a brittle bend. Probably best to oven dry the sheet before bending.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  09:45:25  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Harv,

That's why I love Lexan. I could bend it in a brake if I had one. I first tried applying manual bending pressure while heating it with little effect. I ended up clamping it in a workmate table vise, applying bending pressure using large clamps, then heating the 24" long bend zone repeatedly with my heat gun. Once I had the technique down it went pretty fast. Yeah, it's bubbly in a couple spots but not too bad.

The battery trough is done, now I need to bend up the lid.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Speedy
recumbent guru

USA
759 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  10:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool choppers made from wood

http://woodbicycle.com/Home_Page.html
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
4897 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  12:45:44  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are very cool speedy.

I have just been plugging away at this thing...

Here's my Lexan bending rig. My heat gun can't heat the entire bend at once, so I use the vise bench and other clamps to hold it bent while I run the heat gun up and down the bend line. As the part bends, the clamps are tightened.

Eventually the part is clamped flat to the table, with the bend at 90 degrees.

Here's the 48V 20Ah Ping LiFePo4 battery in the bent Lexan box with lid. Now I have to make the ends of the box.

After many pop rivets, here's the battery box. It's about 3.5" x 23" x 9", and feels pretty solid. The controller is mounted to the top of the inside of the box. I still need to figure out where the wires will exit the box. It weighs about 20lbs, so the brackets on the bike will need to be fairly heavy duty.

I took the bike for a ride for the first time tonight, up and down the street. It will take a while to get used to because of the long handlebars and the turning radius is huge because of handlebar interference, It's very TourEasy-like but it's coooool!

This is the bike that Easy Racers should be building now (Except with a recumbent seat and big chopper bars...).

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000