24 Hour WR attempt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

timmarq2
Starting Member

Australia
44 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  14:34:09  Show Profile  Visit timmarq2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,
Just a brief note to let you know that Jeff Nielsen will be making an attempt on the 24 hr distance record, commencing Good Friday morning, April 2. He'll be riding on a 502m outdoor velodrome in Edithvale, a suburb of Melbourne.
He'll be riding a custom made super narrow Trisled trike, tentatively named 'L'il Overzealous'.
The attempt will be overseen by members of OzHPV, the Australian association of HPV enthusiasts.
As part of his attempt, Jeff is also fund raising for the Heart Foundation.
For more info, check out http://www.pedalforheart.com/
Trisled owner, Ben Goodall believes the penalty of a wider body & extra drag from a third wheel is countered by an increase in the ease of riding (reduction in mental stress) as a result of not needing to balance. Plus the additional comfort of shoulder space & plenty of air.
Initial testing has shown that 50kmh can be sustained with a HR in the 125-135 region, which should be well within Jeff's capabilities.
Updates will be available during the attempt. More info soon.
Tim M
OzHPV Secretary.

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  20:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
My best wishes to Jeff on his attempt. He's pedaling for a noble cause. The record would be a nice icing on the cake! I'll eagerly await the results!

Does that track have any banking?
Go to Top of Page

timmarq2
Starting Member

Australia
44 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  20:41:06  Show Profile  Visit timmarq2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,
It does & Jeff needs it! At 45kmh on a flat road, the trike would simply roll over! SO, he will need the banking.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

Jeff NielsenTrisled
Starting Member

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  23:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Jeff NielsenTrisled's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Hopefully my website will have Live updates going all day so check in to see how im going www.pedalforheart.com
Go to Top of Page

calfeenated
recumbent enthusiast

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  23:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The track looks nice!
Do you know the banking angles in the corners and in the straights?

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Flying-Gnome
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  19:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
248.5 km at 5 hours. Jeff is experiencing boredom. He is only going into the unknown after 12 hours, should be fine till then. Weather is not as good as predicted, winds a little higher and a chance of rain before he finishes.
Last post from me until the end as I am just about to leave for the track.

Ken H
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6284 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  08:56:01  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Just after 12 hours, missed the world 12 hour record but is still well and truly on course for the 24 hour record. He has had his first break after 12 hours of riding. He looked strong, was able to get out of the bike upon his own power and back in feeling happy and a little bit fresher. Back circulating and looking as strong as ever!
Go to Top of Page

timmarq2
Starting Member

Australia
44 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  10:41:40  Show Profile  Visit timmarq2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
20Hr Update. Jeff has completed 937km, & has started his final 4 hr stint. Time out of bike thus far is 50min or so. He should pass the mega meter mark at about 21.30.On track for a 1120 or thereabouts. Cool conditions with NO wind at all. HR about 130bpm. Good humor & very much with it. No cramping issues. Looking strong. More updates soon.
Tim M
Go to Top of Page

Tristan
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Tristan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Megametre in 21 hours 21 minutes!!!!!!!!! Go jefff u little beauty
Go to Top of Page

Tristan
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:51:26  Show Profile  Visit Tristan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NEW WORLD RECORD!!!!!!!! Jeff has passed the old mark, with 47 mins in the bag!! Congrats buddy
Go to Top of Page

Tristan
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Tristan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1109 kms

Edited by - Tristan on 04/02/2010 16:01:27
Go to Top of Page

cas
Starting Member

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:13:03  Show Profile  Visit cas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan

1109 kms

congratulations to the fastest man on bycicle on 24h and 1000km distance.
Congratulations to Jeff.
Best regards
Christian Ascheberg
Go to Top of Page

britCpower
recumbent enthusiast

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  17:23:28  Show Profile  Visit britCpower's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great Job. Respect !!

my blog
http://britcpower.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  07:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, Ken, Jeff,
Please send an Observers' Report to the IHVPA records committee as soon as you can.
Reference: http://www.ihpva.org/rules.htm
Note Section 8: Documentation of the record attempt must be forwarded to the IHPVA within 30 days after the event.

Christain - the IHPVA still did not receive an Observer's report from your attempts. Knud and the German HPV organization obviously did a good job documenting the record.

It would be nice to honor both marks set this past year on the IHPVA records page, where Greg Kolodziejzyk's awesome records are currently listed.
http://www.ihpva.org/hpvarec3.htm#nom30
Go to Top of Page

purplepeopledesign
recumbent guru

Canada
689 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  14:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike... you transposed Jeff's megameter speeds.

:)ensen.

Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.

Video of my trike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSLRD_2vzc
Photos of my trike
http://www.flickr.com/photos/purplepeople/
Go to Top of Page

PoiterH

Australia
65 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  02:22:13  Show Profile  Visit PoiterH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just back from Melbourne.
Some photos here
http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/PoiterH/Jeff24Hour/
Check back as I load some more later or tomorrow.
Pete

Edited by - PoiterH on 04/05/2010 03:13:43
Go to Top of Page

knud

69 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  11:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Upright Mike

Tim, Ken, Jeff,
Please send an Observers' Report to the IHVPA records committee as soon as you can.
Reference: http://www.ihpva.org/rules.htm
Note Section 8: Documentation of the record attempt must be forwarded to the IHPVA within 30 days after the event.

Or rather to the WHPVA, as the OzHPV is a WHPVA member! But in any case we (WHPVA and IHPVA) should make dead sure that despite the rivalry and bad blood of last year we exchange the record attempt documentations, since we want our records lists to be identical. We (or at least I) do not want us to end up like boxing, with 12 different record holders from 14 different organisations.

quote:

Christain - the IHPVA still did not receive an Observer's report from your attempts. Knud and the German HPV organization obviously did a good job documenting the record.

There was a problem with the computer of the main observer, but by some miracle the WHPVA will get the final report by the end of this week. I'll try to let the IHPVA have it after we confirmed the record, so you can do the same.

Cheers, Knud

(WHPVA record committee)

P.S.: Awsome record! I think there is still a lot of room for improvement for the 24h distance. After 10 years of no attempts I think the time is ripe for a 1200km attempts in the next few years.

Edited by - knud on 04/06/2010 11:22:44
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  17:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Knud, well said!

:-)

Edited by - Upright Mike on 04/06/2010 18:02:59
Go to Top of Page

Jeff NielsenTrisled
Starting Member

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  21:49:15  Show Profile  Visit Jeff NielsenTrisled's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the time is ripe for a 1200km attempts in the next few years.

hmmm 1200 well on was on pace at the 12 hour mark for 1200 but injury got the better of me :(
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  22:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on a huge achievement.
Few riders are capable of a world class
24 hour efforts, let alone banging around
a track in a liner. And going fast enough
and without mechaincal issues to set
the world record. Amazing. Good on ya!
Go to Top of Page

knud

69 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  05:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff NielsenTrisled

I think the time is ripe for a 1200km attempts in the next few years.

hmmm 1200 well on was on pace at the 12 hour mark for 1200 but injury got the better of me :(

Well, first of all, 24h on a bike is already amazing. Secondly, you managed to go further from your own power in 24h than any human before you in the history of mankind. So missing the 1200km mark isn't really something to be sad about! And then it is all about making it to the 24h mark and nothing else. You could have travelled 1068km in 22h and then crash and would not have had a new record.

And: was this your first try? If so, noone did his best over 24h in the 1st attempt. So please repeat the excercise in the near future with an attempt to break the 1200km. Maybe Christian ond/or Greg will set a new mark in the meantime.

Cheers, Knud

Edited by - knud on 04/07/2010 05:08:09
Go to Top of Page

Jeff NielsenTrisled
Starting Member

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  18:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Jeff NielsenTrisled's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah this was my first attempt at the 24 hour record however i have competed in 3 24 mtb races and completed 2 of them i have also completed one 12 hour session on an indoor velodrome. I feel that i learn't alot from these other events to put me into a good postion, but after saying that you never know what can happen during a 24hr attempt i feel like i was only just able to complete the 24 due to injury at the moment i waiting to see a physio but my doc seems to think that i have achilles tendenitious in extreme overuse case's the achilles can snap/tear i'm in the moderate damage area so my main aim at this point is to get it better and hopefully stronger than before. many who saw me at the 21 hour mark could hear the pain i was going through and crossing the 1000k mark with one leg at 48k an hour was actually a good releaf from the pain, from that ankle. The worst part was when my helpers tried to get my shoes off as their was no good place to touch my ankle. so hopefully all good have been taking it a bit easier this week so far 10k travelled and another 15 today should see me out for the week.
Go to Top of Page

timmarq2
Starting Member

Australia
44 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  17:16:34  Show Profile  Visit timmarq2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The surveyors report is in, and I can confirm the the distance travelled for the 24hr run was 1107.9km. Official documentation will be forwarded to IHPVA & WHPVA today. I have also revised the megameter time to account for the slightly shorter track distance, now 21.36.
Overall, this was an awesome ride.
Thanks to all the OzHPV members who assisted with the official duties, the friends & family of Jeff, and the Trisled
team for all their support.
Tim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000