Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3447 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  16:33:52  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Below is my conception of a new idea for an Upright bike fairing.

Some history of upright fairings: Around 1913-1914 the first streamlined human powered vehicle race was held between two faired upright bikes. In 1914 they were banned by the UCI. Former UCI hour record holder Marcel Berthet went 49.99 km in one hour with a faired aluminum upright in the 1930's. He was 47 years old at the time. In 1974 Olympic cyclist Ron Skarin pedaled Dr Chet Kyle's streamlined upright, sewn by Joyce Kyle to a world record 43 mph. This event helped launch the first speed championships in 1975 as well as the IHPVA. Ron remarked that the streamliner swerved with heart stopping unpredictability. In the late 1970's more streamlined uprights emerged to set records. They too had problems with swerving due to their tall thin shapes with large side areas.

In the 1980's fully-faired Moultons (folding bikes with 17 inch wheels) were ridden and raced quite successfully by a team of engineers (Doug Milliken, Dave Kennedy). Jim Glover, Will Kennedy and others were the riders. In 1989, a RAAM team used the AeroEdge fairing. At this time within the HPRA racing circle, only Bryan Tucker http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/tucker-memorial.htm and myself raced uprights with fairings. With the passing of Bryan, I think I'm the only one left racing them.

I'm not going to build a SAIL like has been done in the past by enclosing the bike and rider top to bottom. I figure something up top and then Aero-Boots (please don't steal my patentable idea) around the bottom should help people to go faster on their uprights. World Record speed for an Upright fairing was set by Jim Glover at I think 52-53 mph on the Indianapolis speedway. My speed lists have him doing 51.2 mph at the 1986 speed championships in Vancouver.

In 1998, I spent about 3 months devised this fairing during a Masters-level engineering problem solving class. My classmates and I found 14 patents related to upright fairings for bicycles. Its an idea I've had languishing now for all these years.

It's not my goal to break this mark, as I know my fairing will not be as aero as some of these earlier fully faired machines. I hope I go at least a respectable 40 mph over 200 meters and maybe 30 miles in one hour. With the design I show, I hope it would be lot more controllable than the earlier fully-faired machines. Someone's got to bring some respectability back to uprights!

I welcome all comments and criticisms!
Mike Mowett

My past experiments with the spandex bag - AeroEdge fairing. This was developed in 1989 for RAAM. I narrowed it, but still only get about 1.5 mph average cruising speed increase (from say 23.5 mph to 25.0 mph) from it. It definitely needs a tail fairing section. - Here I'm doing 37 mph in a 200 meter qualifying run at Battle Mountain in 2005...

Wearing prototype Aero-Boots installed at Battle Mountain in 2005...
These were just cut up detergent and Armor All plastic bottles taped together.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 01/12/2010 17:04:01

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  01:46:12  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I would include your head into the fairing since this would give you much better aerodynamics. If you extend the fairing down to be just a little above the tires, you increase the area covered and decrease youre leg opening. I would mount the fairing to the bike, don't undereastimate the aerodynamic forces on this fairing...

Look at the pro-top-speed-skiers for fairing your legs.

I don't think you are the only one riding with a fairing on an upright; just look at the following threat: http://www.recumbents.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2657

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3447 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  18:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it's time I get down off my high hobby horse and design a real fairing to go fast! beccause I might hurt myself with the upright fairing design! I don't see too much feedback here, so maybe yes I am still a bit crazy after all these years in this sport - and no one is nice enough to tell me to DROP THE UPRIGHT! design!

So my options are
1) to fair my Challenge lowracer
2) bug my good buddy John Morciglio to build me one of his Mach 1 lowracer and then streamline that
3) get my Norus streamliner out of storage and just ride that.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 01/16/2010 05:03:12
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2288 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  21:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you gotta build a simple, steel bike so you can add brackets, etc. to support and integrate the fairing. Trying to make special brackets that won't mar the finish of your Baron or potential future Mach 1 lowracer will likely lead to compromises and frustration.

Larry Lem

Edited by - Larry Lem on 01/15/2010 21:52:23
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3447 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  05:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Larry, I don't have the tools or experience to weld up my own frame at this point. John has superb composite skills. I modified the pict above a bit. He's usually reclined back even more. I hope I can talk him into doing a streamliner.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Myers
recumbent enthusiast

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  06:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While you are waiting for John to morph his design into a liner get in the Norus and get experience racing a liner! Isn't that the reason you bought the van so you could haul the Norus to the track? When you get to Fl. take a look at my Jester and you will see just how much work it takes to make a LR into a liner.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

4858 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  11:10:28  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or just have John M. build a 'liner specific CF bike and a 'liner to go around it. I think he has built everything else now anyway. Oh wait, he has not built a CF chopper bike yet. Well, after he finishes the chopper, THEN he can build you a streamliner...

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

raymondg
recumbent guru

864 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  12:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I agree with Richard, get in the damn Norus. It's impossible to know what you will like and dislike about a streamliner until you start to accumulate time in one. Frankly, it's a complete mystery to me why you have not ridden it yet. If you try to build one yourself, or have John build you something before ever having put the effort into the Norus, you run the danger of being the guy who is always waiting for the perfect liner to ride and ends up never riding anything.

Raymond
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power supergeek

USA
1893 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  06:18:57  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think your original sock fairing is too blunt in the back and the new one should have more of a tail. It should cover over the thighs also. Vecro could be used to fasten it to the carbon frame. Is it possible to stand on climbs with the fairing on? I was wondering about the Norus also.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 01/17/2010 06:22:46
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
2438 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  07:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tony, don't encourage him. We're
trying to get him in his sweet liner.

Mike, if you want to build something,
build a coroplast body for your LR. That
way you could practice your liner handling,
have fun going fast, and not freeze in
the chilly Michigan weather.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3447 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  08:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the input and encouragement!

Yes - riding the Norus should be my number one priority for next year. It is a beautiful liner with dual pantour suspension 451 wheels, surprisingly easy to ride. I've rode it twice with the top off. I do have the following things to work on:
1) getting a buckle-less shoe so buckle don't rub inside fairing - easy to do
2) figure out a way to make a lever to actuate the cable for the landing gear up and down. The current pull ring seems to keep falling apart after a few pulls
3) possibly replace worn bearings in drive system - there is an awful lot of drag when you spin the cranks - everything comes to rest really quickly when you spin the cranks and let go - with no load on the wheel. The left-hand side chain down to the front wheel is fixed always rotating with the front wheel

It is a nice ride, I guess I feel like I don't appreciate it, because I didn't have a part in building it. I want to be like many of you - a builder and rider.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3447 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  08:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My goals long ago for my upright with bodysock were:
25 mph Average for One-Hour / 40 mph Sprint

I've accomplished the 25 mph one hour long ago and topped 35 mph on the velodrome at Northbrook & 36-37 mph in Battle Mountain. On my unfaired Baron and Challenge lowracers, I've only done 24 mph for one hour and 34.5 mph at Northbrook. I'd hope with alot more training this year, I could improve a couple of mph to maybe 26 mph average and 36-37 mph sprint.

-----
With a streamliner my eventual long term goal would be to get on top my All time fastest Lists (with marks superior to any UCI mark)..
35 mph Average for One-Hour / 50 mph Sprint

Rob Wood did with the Norus...
39 mph Average for One-Hour / 58 mph Sprint

Edited by - Upright Mike on 01/17/2010 09:01:01
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  11:40:11  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I vollunteer helping you at BM when I am not riding myself.

Now get your but in gear, be thankful you can ride!

I will be in BM this year, AND riding. Let's see if I can get back in shape as soon as my ankle is better.

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3447 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  13:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thomas - You should be good to ride by Battle Mountain! I will volunteer to be YOUR pit crew man! The Norus is self-starting and I'd rather have everyone start in front of me, than behind, as I'll be slowest!

And if you or Damjan or Hans or Yannick can not beat Barbara's European record, I will tease you all week about being beat by a little (strong!) girl!

You had an amazing ride in the One Hour at Ford 74.3 km, with your ankle all taped up and injured just 2 weeks before that. One of the most impressive athletic feats of the year! That took guts. I'm sorry you never got a chance to swim in that beautiful lake out there at the Proving Grounds! You ankle should be much better by BM!

Edited by - Upright Mike on 01/17/2010 13:26:50
Go to Top of Page

Dana Barlow
recumbent enthusiast

322 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  20:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Dana Barlow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Norus;It is a nice ride, I guess I feel like I don't appreciate it, because I didn't have a part in building it. I want to be like many of you - a builder and rider."
Fix that!this way=
Well it is a nice ride kind of,but has and dose need some real work to be what it needs to be for a fast and fun liner,that work makes it yours as the design needs refining a lot still. There are things holding it back you already stated and stuff I told ya about some time back about streeing being a tiller[bad design].
It needs a new name by you,after these big updates as well!I think.
We'll get to talk more soon

Dana
Team Strange
"Strange One","Too Strange","Strange Try"
Miami Fla.

Edited by - Dana Barlow on 01/21/2010 20:21:31
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  12:34:45  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LongJohn

Mike,

I vollunteer helping you at BM when I am not riding myself.

Now get your but in gear, be thankful you can ride!

I will be in BM this year, AND riding. Let's see if I can get back in shape as soon as my ankle is better.

Thomas

Hey Thomas!

I just found a picture, and I think you're in it. I don't think the problem is your ankle after all, I think the problem is you're eating a bucket of spaghetti! Ease up on teh carbs, man, or they'll need a shoehorn to get you into the Whitehawk! ;)

http://fotos.ligfiets.net/v/wk2009/bas/bdm-20090703-0840.jpg.html
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  00:50:57  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Tim,

Brilliant picture! It has become a tradition that they photograph me with my secret wapon: carbs!
If you search for the pictures of the Worlds in Bentwaters 2008, you'll find more pictures of the secret wapon.

It might be the main reason why I did not do "so well" at Detroit.... ;-)

Talking about shoehorning myself into the SpeedHawk; I gained 10kg over the last 6 months, not riding my bike.... 8-(
I'am back on (in) the bike since this year, and struggeling to get rid of the "insulation".
Since I'am riding I feel much better (endorfin's), and the ankle is feeling a bit better every day!

I plan on being able to start doing some interval training in july. I should be able to be "lean" in september for BM!

Thomas - That's Niels sitting on the left, and my wife on the right.
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  19:12:48  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thomas, that's awesome. I can't really carb up like that - I feel bloated. I tend to need to stick to liquids when I race - things like Boost or Ensure.

I'm glad to hear about your ankle and look forward to seeing your exploits when you're healthy. In the mean time, are you the "Thomas" that has the Baron that's been converted to dual 26" wheels? If so, how does it hand compared to stock setup?
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  00:46:00  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Tim,

Yes, I'am. It handles much better that the original stock set-up.
In stock set-up it was really nervous in taking corners, and I couldn't make high speed corners without sh%$^%&ing my pants...
Now I can make "higher speed" corners, it still does not feel "safe".

Or maybe it's just me... ;-)

However, the orginal bike is the third prototype of the first Baron's ever build, hence the angled frame, with thick tubing (very stiff though). The steering angles and offset changed with the later types.
It took me 1 hour to set the bike up with the larger front wheel (559) and the first time I rode it was in the street (5 min. OK it works), than I raced it at Sloten Velodrome and almost wet myself... Scary!
The third race was at Apeldoorn last year, well you can find the results for that...

The bike is much more comfortable, more aerodynamic (more layed back, feet higher), and definitly faster!

I would say; if you have long legs (no crank overlap), go for it!

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  04:28:00  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Thomas. I had read prior that yours was one of the first Barons built, but I didn't know about the frame and geometry differences. I was also told that it handled a little rough with the big front wheel, but I didn't know it was a little scary even with the original :)

I really enjoy watching the videos of you guys racing over there.
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  09:23:23  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I saw a picture of hans riding the yellow Baron too in a race or two?

http://fotos.ligfiets.net/v/wk2009/bas/bdm-20090702-0075.jpg.html
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

Netherlands
580 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  00:47:00  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 25hz

I thought I saw a picture of hans riding the yellow Baron too in a race or two?

http://fotos.ligfiets.net/v/wk2009/bas/bdm-20090702-0075.jpg.html

Tim,

That's me and Jan-Marcel van Dijken in the picture. Jan-Marcel is riding a Razz Fazz.
Another picture of our bikes:

http://fotos.ligfiets.net/v/wk2009/bas/bdm-20090702-0102.jpg.html

Hans had lend his bike to another rider to stimulate him to race. Since I wasn't racing the criterium I offered my bike to Hans:

http://fotos.ligfiets.net/v/wk2009/bas/bdm-20090703-0943.jpg.html

http://fotos.ligfiets.net/v/wk2009/bas/bdm-20090703-0862-hans_wessels.jpg.html

And another shot of my (and my wifes') secret recipe:

http://fotos.ligfiets.net/v/wk2009/bas/bdm-20090703-0843.jpg.html

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

jhkennedy4
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  09:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike,

I know this thread is long dead, but I'm curious whether you ever made any progress on your upright bike fairing. A friend of mine (Mechanical Engineering student) and I (bike fanatic) are looking to develop an upright fairing of our own this summer, and we would love to hear what did and did not work for you.

Sincerely,
John Kennedy

ps you can contact me directly at jhk8459 (at) rit (dot) edu
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3447 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  18:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi John,
Welcome to the forum. Well, short answer is no, I haven't been able to make progress on these upright fairing ideas - too many other "bike" projects consuming my time. I would be happy to see someone else pick up a project like this and make it a reality. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Sincerely,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3447 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  18:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Upright Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This past summer, I switched my underlying frame to a more aero Aluminum Cervelo P3 instead the Cervelo Solist that I was using in the earlier pictures. This setup was fast. I was on my way to a new record of 26 mph average speed in it for one hour, when I had a chain derailment lowering my average speed.

2004 Cervelo P3 aluminum with cut-off handlebars to fit inside fairing

Edited by - Upright Mike on 05/16/2011 18:41:54
Go to Top of Page

Upright Dave

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  22:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Build! I have a couple questions about the body sock. Did you spray a sealer on the spandex to keep the air from blowing through it? Also, can the sock be put on by yourself or does it take 2 people? I was thinking of making one but it would have to be safe and I want to be able to see my hands and controls etc. Anyway, here is my bike as it stands right now. I'm not a power-house like you but right now this thing cruises around 21-25mph depending on wind direction and how I feel.

[/URL]

Edited by - Upright Dave on 10/28/2012 16:24:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000