Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

warren
human power expert

USA
6470 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  12:26:58  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah. Tim you raise very good questions.

<rant mode on>
As an organization, the IHPVA has basically been in gridlock since the late 1990s. Some individuals in that organization have been doing great things, but due to conflicting adgendas, splintering of groups, infighting about who has rights to the name, etc, so much of their energy has been spent trying to decide what the IPHPVA actually is that they have no energy left to do things like ratify records.

I'm thinking that they need to split the IHPVA into two or three separate entities, not by country as has been tried in the past, but by interest. Something like
1) International Human Power Vehicle Racing Association
2) International Human Power (as an alternative energy) Vehicle Association
3) International people who like to talk about Human Power Vehicle but not actually do anything Association
4) International Human Power Vehicle paper magazine Association
<rant mode off>

<soapbox mode on>
To get pro-level riders, we need sponsors. To get sponsors we need lots of rabid fans. To get rabid fans all we need to do is convince the unwashed masses that recumbent racing is an "extreme sport". This means we need to crash more, then post pictures and videos of the great swathes of rendered flesh on U-Tube. It's very logical.

Any volunteers?

<soapbox mode off>

There. I feel better now.

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 10/20/2008 13:18:14
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  16:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually we are exclusive, a UCI bike would not qualify for a WRRA record, but that's OK, they have the UCI to recognize UCI bikes. Comparable recumbents were not being recognized by anyone for 75 years. No disrespect for the IHPVA, but record categories and rules are by charter a kept to a minimum so as to not stifle development. Thus the unfaired an partially faired were never conclusively defined.

Recently, the IHPVA (The original) is on a roll. Particularly in it's leadership in the records events. The records committee has been restructured and is quite active with our friend Mike Mowett playing the role he was born to play.

What is truly important is that there is now a legitimate body to document and ratify record performances of a class of vehicles (recumbent) that were previously in a state of limbo and this body has been embraced worldwide by racers in these classes.

The WRRA is sustainable, useful and efficient. It still needs to develop greater credibility through the strength of the records and Gert-Jan's attempt will bring us further along this path.

I was so happy when Gert-Jan wrote to me to say that my hour record had inspired him to take on this challenge. This inspiration effect is what is so beneficial to keeping records. One performance becomes the foundation for the next and with time, true development occurs in machines and man.

Go Gert-Jan!!!
Please be sure to post your results here as soon as possible. We will be anxiously waiting on the 24th.

Go to Top of Page

nyh
recumbent enthusiast

Netherlands
181 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  04:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean costin

Recently, the IHPVA (The original) is on a roll. Particularly in it's leadership in the records events. The records committee has been restructured and is quite active with our friend Mike Mowett playing the role he was born to play.

The WRRA is sustainable, useful and efficient. It still needs to develop greater credibility through the strength of the records and Gert-Jan's attempt will bring us further along this path.

I completely agree. In Battle Mountain we discussed the future of the IHPVA records. The IHPVA record committee is the to administer Human Powered Vehicle records. Less rules are better here. Any vehicle is allowed as long as it is human powered.

To have partially faired and unfaired records you need lots of rules defining what is unfaired, what is partially faired. We concluded that the WRRA was doing a good enough job.

I am also happy with the WRRA. It is nice to have an official registration of recumbent records. In the Netherlands I sponsor, together with Garrie Hil and Wim Schermer a 150 EURO award for people who set a new WRRA record. I sincerely hope Gert-Jan will be awarded the 150 EURO award.

But I think we should be humble and just recognize Chris Boramans record as THE unfaired hour record.

Hans Wessels
Go to Top of Page

Bjorn Frank
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  13:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are amateurs having a fun hobby.. Why compare ourselves to Pro s with a serious job?

I ride UCI bikes and we are separated in classes (elite, Amateur A, Amateur B, etc.. ) according to skill.

Anyhow:

Go Gert Jan Go!

Go to Top of Page

nyh
recumbent enthusiast

Netherlands
181 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  05:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems Gert-Jan set a new record: 50.389 km in one hour.

Well done Gert-Jan!

Time for me to start training and to improve on this impressive mark.

Hans Wessels
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  05:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Gert-Jan! Awesome performance! I am very anxious to see a report and a video.

Thank you for the report Hans. I'll look forward to your attempt.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6470 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  06:04:36  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, 31.24 MPH! That's amazing. Excellent job Gert-Jan!

Stock class HPVs have now smashed the 30MPH barrier!

For reference - WRRA Records
http://www.recumbents.com/wrra/records.asp

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 10/24/2008 06:04:51
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
recumbent guru

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  06:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Gert-Jan!

Let the games begin. Time to start training Sean.

quote:
Originally posted by warren

Wow, 31.24 MPH! That's amazing. Excellent job Gert-Jan!

Stock class HPVs have now smashed the 30MPH barrier!

For reference - WRRA Records
http://www.recumbents.com/wrra/records.asp

-Warren.

Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

China
581 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  08:13:50  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just came back from Alkmaar (The Netherlands). Wow, that was exciting!

When I arrived at 11:30 Gert-Jan was a little bit anxious, he actually gave me a hug when he saw me... Don't no what to think about that ;-)

The M5 was prepared and set-up as a track bike with a single speed (although with a freewheel). Al non-necessities were removed and the bike looked really nice. I had a spin on Gert-Jans training bike, and jikes, that is a nice bike. Good aero position (feet high up 9", back reclined to the max).
I want one !!

Gert-Jan has bought a skate suit for the occasion, and the tight fit gives him that last bit of advantage. The bikes looks really nice with the two 700C discwheels. Even the "roadies" that came by had to have a look and where impressed!

Gert-Jan did a warm-up for 30 odd minutes and then started, starting off with 53 km/h for the first 10 minutes!
We where surprised by these speeds and wondered if he could maintain that speed.
After 15 minutes the speed cam down, but his slowest round was 49.7 km/h so not to bad.
Gert-Jan was ticking off every round like clockwork and stayed between 49.9 and 51.3. He did not let his speed vary for more than 0.3 km/h per lap.

Gert-Jans familie (wife, kids, dad, etc) came out to watch and everybody was cheering for him. You could see a speed difference in the laps we cheered, and when we were tired (from cheering)... Gert-Jan said he really got motivated by drumming, and cheering in a rithm.

The last 15 minutes became the pinnacle; everybody started cheering more and more, and everybody realized they were witnessing a new world record. I was doing the manual clock for Gert-Jan and you could see he got more tired, but regained second breath in the last 15 minutes, every minute that went by Gert-Jan got some more speed.
The last 5 minutes Gert-Jan managed to come back to the 51.9 km/h mark. Maintaining that speed for the last 4 laps.
When he finished everybody went ape, I've never seen Bram Moens (M5) smile that much ;=)

Gert-Jan got off the bike and stated: "...people can go faster than that".... Thats Gert-Jan for you.

Now anxiously waiting for the publication of the first pictures, watch the following sites for an update:

http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/site/NL/Nieuws/Laatste_nieuws/

http://www.ligfiets.net/

http://wimschermer.blogspot.com/

ok, for now; I will be designing a new bike. And will be doing an attempt of my own next year!

Thomas van Schaik

Edited by - LongJohn on 10/24/2008 08:18:59
Go to Top of Page

Gugi100

Netherlands
80 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  11:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallo,

Mission accomplished.
The race this day was, as you can read in the report of Thomas, a bit wobbly. Never in the race I could get in "The zone". "The zone" means cycling effortlessly. Normally would that be the time between 7.5 and around 40 minutes. Today it was work. Perhaps I was a bit to tense. Two weeks ago things went so very smooth!

But hé, I am proud with the endresult of this day. Over the 50 km is nice.

I think the 50.3XX km wil be a nice mark for the next one!
Just for the fun of cycling!

Thanks for the support.

Greetings Gert-Jan.

PS Thomas, you started the hugging after your 6 houres race on CV this year.....

Edited by - Gugi100 on 10/24/2008 12:10:27
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES!!!! Gert-Jan, hearty congratulations!!! Thomas, remember I had a hug from Ellen at Battle Mountain, in lieu of a hug from you ;-) You're just not my type anyhow ..... too tall.

If the race next year at the Ford Proving Grounds in Michigan happen, I'm going to be offering prize money for unfaired, fully faired, male, female in the one hour and the six hour. Keep that in mind guys and gals.

Again, Gert-Jan, good job!

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/

Go to Top of Page

favdw
Starting Member

Sweden
2 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  13:40:16  Show Profile  Visit favdw's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Gert-Jan, a great performance and a true boost for the sport!

In light of this accomplishment I would like to make some short comments on the issue of categorisation.

- First off: I think we can best refer to this record as the "WRRA unfaired recumbent record (for men)". In this manner it is clear what category the record is concerned with and nobody had been mislead.

- In my opinion the HPV community at large has been too much opposed to categorisation. There has been and still lives a thought that "categories are bad". That is a shame because categories are good tools in developing a sport. Just as long there are enough categories to accomodate for all, nobody needs to be excluded and development, rather than opposed, is often accelerated (within each category, when the limits are reached new ones arise).

Historically, national HPV associations have when organising races created all kinds of categories. Both planned and spontaneously. Had they not, then the sport of recumbent racing would prabably have been non-existent today. And I would not have been a cyclist for that matter.

In the same fashion, I am happy WRRA came to life so that we can withness this accomplishment today, which would not have happened without WRRA.

Yes, Chris Boardman is faster unfaired. Perhaps therefore it is good for the sport to have a category called unfaired recumbent. Here then every improvement is rewarded and is in fact the fasted unfaired recumbent - why not recognise that?
Perhaps one day recumbents will be the fasted unfaired bikes. And since today recumbents are fastest than the official UCI record. That too is a fact. Although the olympic bikes could go faster than 49,7km/h surely - but since there is no officially support/recognition for this category there, we shall perhaps never know. Not our fault. There is no shame in a recumbent category! For men. And women. And juniors. Unfaired. Part-faired. Fully faired. 200m. 1km. 1h. 24h. Etc.

See? Categories everywhere. Use them well. Look for inspiration at car "sports" who have maximised their effect. They must have hundreds of categories, one more popular than the other. In another category. Vehicle category that is.

You know it makes sense!

Ride well. Ride recumbent and ride better.

Cheers,
/Frederik Van De Walle

----------------------
HPV Sweden
www.liggister.org

Edited by - favdw on 10/24/2008 13:44:24
Go to Top of Page

trsnrtr
recumbent enthusiast

257 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  15:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Gert-Jan! Celebrate and then get some rest! You deserve it!
Go to Top of Page

nyh
recumbent enthusiast

Netherlands
181 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  16:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have failed to mention Wim Schermer did give Gert-Jan the 150 EURO award for breaking a WRRA record. This award was sponsored by Wim Schermer, Garrie Hill and Hans Wessels. More award money is waiting for new WRRA records achieved on NVHPV events.

Hans Wessels
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  03:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FASTEST NON-FAIRED BICYCLE ONE HOUR RECORDS
BY RIDERS AGED OVER 40 YEARS OLD
Note: set on three different types of bikes

Name: Francesco Moser
Kilometers: 51.84 kilometers
Miles: 32.21 miles
Date: 15 January 1994
Track: Mexico City Velodrome, 333 meters concrete?, 2300 meter high-altitude
Bicycle: UPRIGHT TIME-TRIAL BIKE, Graeme Obree style bike with "praying mantis handlebars", added chest pad, frame style and wheels unknown
Record: UCI Veteran's record
Comments: This ride of Moser's was intended as a celebration of the ten-year anniversary of him famously breaking the Hour mark in 1984. He rode an Graeme Obree style "praying mantis" handlebar bike. Moser was so inspired after meeting Graeme Obree that he wanted a copy of his bike. However Moser modified it with a chest pad to help him stay in the position better. He was riding before the UCI voted to outlaw such positions on May 7, 1994. He actually broke his 1984 record in the process, but at the time Chris Boardman held the overall record.
He even went faster than Obree first did at Hamar, Norway, a sea level location less than a year before. Hence, one might speculate that had Moser rode Obree's bike before Obree did, Moser might have held the outright UCI Hour record at age 42. But of course, if Obree hadn't broken style and tradition in the first place, his bike would have never been known.
The high-altitude of Mexico City may have given Moser a 1.5 km (0.93 mile) advantage versus a sea-level mark on both of his rides set there. Moser is a former professional cyclist, whose name is amongst the most famous in the sport. In 1984, he broke Eddy Merckx's 1972 Hour mark of 49.431, also set in Mexico City. Merckx is considered one of the greatest cyclist of all-time, and his mark was thought to be unbreakable at the time. In 1984, Moser broke it by successfuly using new innovations such as skinsuit and disk wheels and aerodynamic handlebars, now used by all cyclists in Hour record attempts. He also sadly admitted to using blood doping on his first record in 1984 at age 32.

Name: Gert-Jan Wijers
Kilometers: 50.389 kilometers
Miles: 31.31 miles
Date: 24 October 2008
Track: Alkmaar Velodrome, indoor wood, 250 meters wood, sea-level
Bicycle: RECUMBENT HIGH-RACER BIKE, dual 700c disks, fixed gear with freewheel
Record: WRRA World record for non-faired recumbents
Comments: Gert-Jan Wijers had showed great promise of breaking the hour mark held by Costin early in the season by riding 48.9 in Cologne on a M5 high-racer, Sept 6, 2008. Previous to this, Gert-Jan had averaged 47.561 kph or 29.5 mph at Cycle vision on a M5 Low racer. Both of these earlier rides were done in races with other competitors on the track, hence not official sanctioned solo attempts. Gert-Jan is a non-professional bicycle racer, but increasingly well known at European recumbent bicycle races. The fact that he rode his mark on a "high-racer" recumbent may challenge the notion believed by many recumbent racers that the low-racer recumbent is the faster machine. The M5 high-racer is made of carbon and produced the Netherlands by the M5 company which also produces a successful lowracer version.

Name: Sean Costin
Kilometers: 47.894 kilometers
Miles: 29.76 miles
Date: 1 September 2007
Track: ADT Center Velodrome, indoor wood, 250 meters, sea-level
Bicycle: RECUMBENT LOW-RACER BIKE, with 700c rear wheel disk, ERTO 406 front wheel disk, fixed gear
Record: WRRA World record for non-faired recumbents
Comments: This was Sean Costin's second time setting the world record for unfaired recumbents in a single year. Earlier in the year, on July 9, 2007, Costin rode 45.8 km, 28.459 miles at the outdoor 382 meter concrete Northbrook velodrome. This broke the 74 year old long-standing unfaired recumbent from 1933 by Francis Fauré, a mark which led to recumbents being banned from UCI races. Costin is a long-time recumbent racer, but non-professional bicyle racer. He is a family man from Chicago, Illinois. With other recumbent enthusiasts, he founded the WRRA World Recumbent Racing Association to officially sanction such world record attempts. The vehicle he rides in both attempts is the Velokraft NoCom, built by a Polish manufacturer. It is considered a "splitter-plate" type of machine in that it smoothly splits airflow at the leading edge of its bulbous carbon fiber frame.

- Mike Mowett

Edited by - Upright Mike on 10/26/2008 04:54:31
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  06:26:06  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVujXjdRO4

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Gugi100

Netherlands
80 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  13:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

I really like the list you made. It puts things in a perspective where age also counts. And if you set the altitude bonus on the performance from Moser on 1.5 kmh then .

One can even debate on on which bike (Moser on an Obree praying mantis style bike or Boardman Superman position bike or M5CHR) has the best Cw*A value.
Moser was in the Obree style (which is like the Superman position pretty uncomfortable I presume and needs some training) while I was in a comfotable bodyposition more or less for "free". It is the same bodyposition as I have used the app. 5000 km I did on the roadversion for training. I can't really think of people who ride in Obree praying mantis style or Boardman "Superman" style when cycling just for fun or over long distances.

Cylcling at considerable speed is fun!

Greetings Gert-Jan

Edited by - Gugi100 on 10/27/2008 13:51:40
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  22:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
You may not have known about this one. Kent holds the UCI masters record in the hour for 45-49 yr olds. This is faster than any of the other UCI masters age categories. I don't know anything about the bike.

45-49....49.3610..............Kent Bostick USA...............25/09/99....Manchester, GBR

Sean
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  10:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean costin

Mike,
You may not have known about this one. Kent holds the UCI masters record in the hour for 45-49 yr olds. This is faster than any of the other UCI masters age categories. I don't know anything about the bike.

45-49....49.3610..............Kent Bostick USA...............25/09/99....Manchester, GBR

Sean

Hi Sean,
I didn't know about that one, but know that Kent Bostick has set age-group categories records from 35-40 and 40-45 and 45-50 in the 40K. He also still owns the #2 time ever I believe for the US 40K behind John Frey - the US Amateur Hour record holder.

Scroll down to Super-Freaks in this article.
http://secondchurchofgravity.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_archive.html

So while he wasn't as fast as Moser at alitude, his hour record at Manchester is at sea-level is very notable. I'm guessing it was set at the same velodrome where Chris Boardman set his 56 km (35.03 miles).

I hope that you and Gert can continue to inspire more "masters" / "over 40 years old" riders to ride world-class marks.
For myself, I've got less than 6 years to train, to try and come anywhere close to the marks you have made!

Edited by - Upright Mike on 11/01/2008 10:52:14
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  12:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I just got back from riding an M5 CARBON HIGH-RACER. That's right folks, the same bike that Gert just rode to the title of fastest Stock Recumbent for One Hour!

My good friend, Wally Kiehler has one, actually now for sale. See the listing on BROL in Classifieds. I am proud to say that in my "weak" condition right now, with cool weather I got it up to a speed over 50 km/h (31 mph) for about five seconds in a Sprint. Only 3555 more seconds and I could equal what Gert did! Amazing!

This bike is smooth over bumps, and is comfortable for riding fast in traffic. On my way over to my friend Wally's house, I was averaging about 26 km/h (16 mph) on my upright time trial bike. Once on the M5, with the same wind direction, I was averaging 29 km/h (18 mph) easily for a 30 km ride. I was not getting tired at all. This bike is fast I can tell, much more comfortable than my Optima Baron, probably due to the Carbon frame and larger wheels.
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

China
581 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  00:44:53  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You see?

It was the bike, not due to Gert-Jan.... ;-)

Greetz,

Thomas (Who should be training his %^&ss off to be able to attempt next year....)
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  04:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Thomas,
Us "young" guys don't stand a chance.
To succeed in this sport, you have to get really "old", then ride really fast bikes! Just kidding! I wish I had the desire and dedication to train as hard as these guys!
Go to Top of Page

Gugi100

Netherlands
80 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  11:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nyh

I have failed to mention Wim Schermer did give Gert-Jan the 150 EURO award for breaking a WRRA record. This award was sponsored by Wim Schermer, Garrie Hill and Hans Wessels. More award money is waiting for new WRRA records achieved on NVHPV events.

Hans Wessels

First: Is the € 150 is only for WRRA record achieved on NVHPV events?
Second: On the dutch pages I announced that my total premium of € 150 is now for the first unfaired recumbent rider to break 51,596 km. This is the distance covered by Obree in 1993 when he took the HR the first time.

http://www.ligfiets.net/nieuws/bericht.php3?id=2730&volledig=1

Is it arguable if the Cd*A value of an unfaired recumbent is better (lower) than the Obree praying mantis style upright?

Greetings Gert-Jan
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6470 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  21:09:31  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Gert-Jan,

It sounds like you are offering your 150 Euro prize to the first stock class rider to break 51.596 KPH (31.989 MPH), is that correct?

I think that the very laid-back recumbent racers probably beat the CdA of Obree's bike.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  05:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful to distinguish between cd and cdA below:

This site: http://www.bikecult.com/bikecultbook/sports_recordsHour.html
1972 Eddy Merxcx "UCI traditional" drop handlebar, round tubes, 28/32 spoked wheels, leather strap helmet, shorts+jersey, cd = 0.750
1984 Francesco Moser, cow-horn bar, aero tubes, dual disk wheels, round helmet no tail, one-piece skinsuit, cd = 0.320
1994 Miquel Indurain, triathlon bar, carbon monocoque aero frame, dual disk wheels, Aero helmet, skinsuit, cd = 0.230*
1994 Tony Rominger, triathlon bar, oval steel tubes, dual disk wheels, aero helmet, one-piece skinsuit, cd = 0.200*
1993 Graeme Obree, praying mantis bar, aero tubes, Specialized tri-spoke wheels, Giro aero helmet, skinsuit cd = 0.180
1996 Chris Boardman [Obree] superman bar, carbon monocoque aero frame, 5-spoke carbon, disk rear wheels, Bell aero helmet, skinsuit, cdA = 0.165

The HPV Simulator created by Warren: http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/simul/HPV_Simul.asp

For Gert-Jan, I plugged in his provided values of 197 cm (6 foot 5.5 inch height), 88 kg (193.6 lbs), assummed 10.9 kg (24 lb) M5 Carbon weight, 23 deg seat angle, narrow tires. Based on HPV simulator, this gives cdA = 0.219 !

For Sean, I plugged in assummed values of 181 cm (5 foot 11 inch height), 74.9 kg (165 lbs), assummed 10.9 kg (24 lb) NoCom weight, 23 deg seat angle, narrow tires. Based on HPV simulator, this gives cdA = 0.153

Additional values for comparison. All simulations assume narrow racing tires and rider height of 1.8 meters (5 foot - 11 inches), and weight of 143 lbs, 65 kg
Recumbent High-racer, 30 deg seat angle, rear wheel disk, cdA = 0.207
Recumbent High-racer, 23 deg seat angle, rear wheel disk, cdA = 0.193
Recumbent Low-racer, 30 deg seat angle, rear wheel disk, CdA = 0.157
Recumbent Low-racer, 23 deg seat angle, rear wheel disk, CdA = 0.144
Recumbent Low-racer with added tailbox, 23 deg seat angle, rear wheel disk, cdA = 0.128

So I'm sure a debate may begin about the assumptions or accuracy in all this data, but it appears that the Obree Preying mantis position is more aero than a high-racer position, which means perhaps Gert-Jan's record is more worthy of the top mark (at least for riders over 40). His bike may have been less aero than the Obree-style bike that Moser rode to the veterans mark. And of course Gert-Jan rode at sea-level, much harder than riding at the high altitude that Moser rode at. Conclusion: Gert-Jan is the better athlete!

Edited by - Upright Mike on 11/09/2008 20:01:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000