www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 HPV Racing
 Dekra and RDW Record Attempts - 2012

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Upright Mike Posted - 06/06/2012 : 22:46:15
This summer, there will be some exciting attempts on world records at the RDW Test Track in the Netherlands June 22 and Dekra Test Oval in Germany June 30-July 3 and again on July 28-29, 2012. I have gathered some information from the forums and posted it here.

FRANCESCO RUSSO, EIVIESTRETTRO - ONE HOUR STREAMLINED RECORD ATTEMPT
http://www.russo-speedbike.com/ Click on News (One month to go)
The Team of Damjan Zabovnik & Francesco Russo are looking to do better than their current 91.556 km (56.89 miles) World One Hour streamlined record* set last year August 02, 2011. This was set after waiting through 4 days of rain at the Dekra track, essentially after the event was over. Francesco is currently training. There is less pressure this year, because the Eivestretto was completed last year, so they don't have to build, test and train all at the same time. He only needs to focus on training. He posted that if he can make it around Dekra 16 times in one hour that would equal 93.7 km. He also said that your speed on the track is different for each turn.
* Not yet ratified by IHPVA or WHPVA?

AURéLIEN BONNETEAU, ALTAÏR4 - ONE HOUR STREAMLINED RECORD ATTEMPT
On May 25, 2012, Aure set a new recumbent one-hour best mark on a non-faired recumbent of 56.597 km (35.168 miles). News of his record and announcement of his upcoming streamliner attempt here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/192438030877979/
This incredible mark broke Chris Boardman's UCI Absolute record. Aure used partial fairings to cover his shoes which invalided his record as a true stock record according to a vote by the WRRA. Now he has announced plans to attempt the streamlined one hour record as well, in a French-built university streamliner from IUT-Annecy. There previous bike, the Altair2 went over 117.59 kph 73.067 mph at Battle Mountain in 2009. We can assume this one is faster. How far can Aure ride? (see comparison to Pieter Hollebrandse below) He is very used to riding with short cranks (130 mm on his stock bike) which could be important in a streamliner. Thus far no pictures of the Altair4, so we don't know if it is finished. Can Aure hold both the non-faired and fullyfaired records? He would be the first to do so. He officially holds the WRRA record, but not from his most recent attempt.

ALWIN VISKER or WIL BASELMANS, VELOX2 - ONE HOUR STREAMLINED RECORD ATTEMPT
http://www.hptdelft.nl/en/index.php?option=com_eventlist&view=eventlist&Itemid=186
Pieter Hollebrandse showed a couple of years ago that he could ride almost as far as Aure on an nonfaired recumbent at the Appeldorn event in 2010. Both rode over 53 km / 32 miles in one hour. Then Pieter rode the VeloX from TU Delft to the #3 fastest ever one-hour 88.3 km (54.867 miles). Within one day, it was pushed down to #4 after Francesco set the new record. This was after Pieter restarted after going at full effort for 23 minutes and then completed his ride in the darkness and with cooler temperatures. He crashed at the end of the ride. This year if Alwin or Wil can ride the newer and faster VeloX2 with the same effort as Pieter I predict a new world record as it has 26% less drag than the previous VeloX. I don't know if Alwin or Wil has the same incredible One-Hour power as Francesco or Aure, but they could have the faster machine.

ELLEN VAN VUGT, VELOX-X ONE-HOUR?, SIX-HOUR?, OR 12-HOUR RECORD ATTEMPT?
Just days ago, Hans made a revelation that a new streamliner had been built for Ellen, called the VeloX-X. It was announced that she would ride it in Battle Mountain. But I'm thinking she might try a distance record in it as well.
http://www.bikealive.nl/elan/VeloxX.html or http://www.elan.cc/
This was derived from the world's #2 fastest machine, the VeloX. TU-delft including David Wielemaker and Daniel Fenn, Beyss Leichtfahrzeuge and Hans van Vugt worked to design and build it. It was sized to fit Ellen, and built in a record time. Garrie told me it took only about 3 weekends to get it done. He is currently building the windshield for it. Also news is that Ellen has been increasing her training lately, most notably using the Stapps(?) training system. Last year 2011 she set a new Six-Hour record on the Opel track in the SpeedHawk. This broke the record that she set two years previous to that on the Ford track. She is also the former ladies One-Hour and Top Speed record holder.

-------------------------
Other unconfirmed rumours

BARBARA BUATOIS, VARNA TRIKE, 24-HOUR RECORD ATTEMPT?
Last year (2011), Barbara and Julius spent a week with George Georgiev on his island in British Columbia, Canada. When they left, they brought home a Varna Trike. I think it is either the old Varna Torso trike or the other Varna Trike that was built for Sam to attempt at record. A rumour was that Barbara would attempt a world 24-hour record in it. She wanted to break the men's record as well. She has the qualifications being amongst the top 5 fastest humans in the world in both the 200-meters and One-Hour, as well as having won RAAM on a recumbent. She is an incredible athlete and could break the men's record over 24-hours. So far no news or updates if this will be a reality. Dekra has seen the last two 24-hours records set by Christain Aschberg in a velomobile.

ANDREA GALLO, PULSE, RECORD ATTEMPTS
This is a student team from Politecnico di Torinoin Italy. They have a new streamliner and a strong rider in Andrea Gallo. Recently they have been getting some high-speed practice on a test track in Italy Not sure if they will go to Dekra or Battle Mountain. They raced in the 2010 and 2011 World Championships.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/policumbent
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stix Posted - 08/13/2012 : 04:30:34
A full write-up of the Dekra Weekend is here http://www.hpv.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=151:bericht-vom-rekordwochenende&catid=34:rekord-ticker&Itemid=191 . It is in German but Google Translate does a good enough job.

Stix

Lightning F-40 built around R-84 frame.
stix Posted - 08/05/2012 : 00:55:11
Some photos from the DEKRA weekend are in post 23 of this thread http://www.velomobilforum.de/forum/showthread.php?31576-DEKRA-2012-28-07-29-07/page2 from the German forum. Also in post 22 are links to lots of other photos from the weekend. (Tip. you may need to turn off a web translator to see the links.) I am particularly impressed with Charles Henry's, Peregrin on Birk. The white two wheel streamliner with the flip-up front section and foot doors for entry, stopping and exit. Charly was able to cruise at 75km/h with 200W of input.

Stix

stix Posted - 08/02/2012 : 15:02:46
Charles Henry has written up his experience at the Dekra weekend http://www.velomobil.ch/ch/en/node/40 . Charly was riding his fully-faired Peregrin on Birk. The article is machine translated from German but fairly readable.

Stix

hptdelft Posted - 08/02/2012 : 03:04:43
The secondary camera system was (back then) stowed away, and could be unstowed (through a spring loaded quick release system) in case of primary screen failure. However the quick release system handle turned out to be too hard to find in an actual emergency situation. In the Dekra crash the secondary camera system never got deployed.

In the new situation both screens are permanently in view and switched on (as can be seen in our july 20 blog). Last test day the primary system battery died so the safety system got a real life test, and it turned out to work as expected (our guy could stop safely, even though he was doing 96kmh when the primary screen died).

Yeah yeah, banana custard.
Speedbiker Posted - 08/01/2012 : 10:13:15
That is some serious testing! My own falls more under "most efforts".
Larry Lem Posted - 08/01/2012 : 08:12:40
It appears that the Delft team is doing more speedbike testing than anyone ever has before. Wonderful! Most efforts lack resources, are completed at the last minute and maybe get in one or two test runs prior to the WHPSC just to ensure that clearances are okay and that the major systems work okay.

David,
Not meaning to hijack the thread (too much), per the July 3 post at the Delft site, was the secondary camera system insufficient to bring the bike to a safe stop?

Larry Lem
hptdelft Posted - 08/01/2012 : 04:05:17
About VeloX2: http://www.hptdelft.nl/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=392:the-path-of-velox-2-aerodynamics&catid=15:blog&Itemid=58

Yeah yeah, banana custard.
Jan v S Posted - 07/31/2012 : 14:56:43
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Evidently Jan Van Steeg has infested the Cygnus. That was about all I got. Help us, Thomas van Scheik!

I had some, hard to find, problems in the steering saterdaynight and after solving it I also had a problem in de driveline sundaymorning. After solving all the problems I was able to drive for almost 2 hours, but it's not comfortable yet to drive for a longer period. All things that can be solved for next run. It's a new bike and I'm also new to the scene, so I need some time. At least I solved all the technical problems so I could do some very important testruns. After all the Cygnus Alpha worked very well and is awesome fast, while there are still a lot of improvements to come.
stix Posted - 07/31/2012 : 01:28:16
From reading the German forum (via Google Translate) the organisers are exhausted from running the event and also have to go back to their paying jobs. Over time I expect some clearer reports will be posted on Drop Limits and/or the German forum. Google Translate is likely to do a better job on these reports.

Stix

Speedbiker Posted - 07/30/2012 : 19:43:36
Evidently Jan Van Steeg has infested the Cygnus. That was about all I got. Help us, Thomas van Scheik!
Upright Mike Posted - 07/30/2012 : 19:01:46
TRANSLATION BELOW(by Google) off Drop Limits site. I'll admit I am getting very frustrated with Google. I don't know what is being said below. Is there a new world record or not in the Ladies' 12-hour? Who is Kirsten? Who is the Russian Team that travelled 3000 km to the event? Can someone help?

July 29, 2012
A team is at least setting a world record route
The night is coming to an end, it turns bright Kirsten alone, nor their laps, with a Schni of 38.945 km / h. So it is certainly the 12h record. You just have to go to the end. Is as relaxed as she completed the last break, but that should not be a problem.

Bernd Paul has broken his record attempt, because he could not sit in the car perfectly. This is definitely due to the fact that he has only started a few weeks ago with the velomobile ride. Although he has been training for several hours with the borrowed EVO Daniel Fenn, but Bernd Paul himself said, it would be presumptuous to expect that he should break on the first attempt a record. But he has 15:12,134 impressively shown that he Potential: With an average speed of 54.385 km / h over 8 hours.

Wulf Kraneis Milan has moved to the SSL connector to try the 6h and 12h of the record to break. He is traveling at just over 60km / h.

Jan van bridge is infestation with the Cygnus on the track and goes 72/73 km / h He still has not found the correct driving technique, the wheel is more volatile than the aerodynamics and the speed is good for.

Kirsten is now Niederlein world record over 12 hours.

Charles Henry has once again launched a trial, because the weather still looks better than the day.
Unfortunately, it is the cross-wind on some sections of the route is too strong, that he has completed the re-record attempt prematurely.

The drivers are now almost 7 hours on the road. The decrease was also a reunion and getting to know the new and old teams. They had a lot of time, much longer than some would have liked, because the DEKRA Oval was still occupied by another customer. Unfortunately, this customer was also a ban on photography. The Russian team had already learned the day before suffering. Since we had traveled 3,000 km and was not allowed to own the vehicle photographed in action.

Before we were allowed to enter the premises, we all had cameras and cell phones with cameras make ... to my particular pleasure that I also, of course. Even the press representative of the SZ had to give up his camera. Just in time for the start but then we got the approval to take pictures, so you do not have to do without pictures.

In the paddock there was a hustle and bustle. All were involved in some preparations. Hard to believe that some would like to attack a world record. But that's probably a little ritual to divert attention from his own nervousness. Anyone can develop screwed little doubt about the upcoming Herculean task.

Kirsten Netherlands in Milan, Barbara Buatois 3Wheel in Varna, Charles Henry, VV-Peregrin and Bernd Paul went on at EVO K km hunting. All went well on their journey. Bernd with equal more than 60 km / h in average. The Liegeradnewby be trumped by long-haul experience. Barbara alone was not quite in full swing. The camera, which she needed to see was not working as desired and the drive made noises that arise about the suitability for a long distance record but left considerable doubt. Bernd leveled off to a section 57s, Kirsten on 43 and Charlie, moved impressively quiet, with stunning 73km / h its rounds.

In the paddock there was still a great hour of tinkering. Jan van Bridge tries a start and had to return for improvements in the pits. Its nice bike was not yet at the required level of development and himself still driving experience lacking in Cygnus.

Shortly after nightfall, there was unfortunately the first failure. Ironically, Charlie had problems. Somehow, this was not his day. It was not until his car was sluggish and after he had finally decided to start the 6 or 12 hours on the evening in order to escape the rain was announced, even his motivation limp. The onset of darkness and brought cool and unfortunately also mist on the windshield of Charlie's car. He also noted that the decreasing temperatures also slowed. Despite an average speed of 73.324 km / h on his task after 2:18.

Bernd and Kirsten have their first stops behind him, could not have been the opposite. He also had trouble with communication. His cell phone came with the background noise in the EVO not right, the Bob's cell phone communicated wishes of his carers had little or nothing not to understand. Kirsten read the other hand, when they stop so many times, could meinnen the one she wanted to bring before the ride even more the kids to bed. Both are still rapidly move. Kirsten after 4:40 with a 36 average, as suggested in the book break and Bernd goes to 4:48 with an impressive 57.161 around the oval.
ellen Posted - 07/30/2012 : 04:33:31
We were also at RDW track, Delft did make some improvements on the bike and they had some good laps above 90 km going towards 100 km.
The Velox Xs was doing fine also Ellen did do some laps at here one hour pace and did overtake Sebastiaan
On a good track we now now that 85 and maybe 90 km is possible.

Greetings Hans
Upright Mike Posted - 07/29/2012 : 21:08:46
Yesterday's Twitter feeds from TU Delft (translated by Google)
Apparently they were at the RDW Track in the Netherlands, and not at Dekra. They had some good runs with the VeloX2

This week, more news on the air resistance misery on our blog, interesting research works and Sebastian indicating enough cycled to have # VeloX2 while another hour # RDW had allotted time ended at @ bosofzo with # BBQ and beer, this day was because celebrate :) Good work Team! Really had a great day at the # RDW VeloX2 with good results and there is really super lot of cycling with VeloX2 #: D # GLAD Really had a great day. Perfect weather, good practice with the equipment and it was also fun. Tomorrow the photos to find out again towards the rdw-track in Lelystad. Training @ hptdelft shooting
Garrie L Hill Posted - 07/28/2012 : 17:09:49
When I used something similar for airflow visualization, the process was:

1) Spray on a uniform coat of "the pink stuff" and let it dry

2) Just before launching the bike/airplane/boat hull/torpedo, a solvent ( ours smelled like peppermint) is misted on the surface of "the pink stuff" causing it to re-liquify.

3) As the vehicle moves down the road/through the water, the pink dyed oil flows with the pattern of the surface shear.... and the solvent evaporates leaving a detailed smear pattern for your leasurely study.

Our indicator was red.

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

OpusthePoet Posted - 07/28/2012 : 13:32:56
So, what does the lack or presence of the pink stuff mean in the picture?

Opus

My gas is up to $0.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 10 miles to the regular burrito. Dang $0.99 burritos are smaller now.
Upright Mike Posted - 07/28/2012 : 07:22:21
Interesting pict
TU Delft Fluid Shear test with VeloX2,
posted 5 days ago on Twitter...
http://twitpic.com/aavjfr
Speedbiker Posted - 07/25/2012 : 14:17:18
That looks fantastic!
Jan v S Posted - 07/25/2012 : 13:40:52
quote:
Originally posted by LongJohn

So proud of my Team!!

Go Jan! Go Go Go!!!

I'll hope to go only once
LongJohn Posted - 07/25/2012 : 13:37:34
So proud of my Team!!

Go Jan! Go Go Go!!!
Jan v S Posted - 07/25/2012 : 13:22:57
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=501777949838785&set=a.501777946505452.131166.100000197532103&type=1&theater

Almost ready for coming weekend

isn't she beautyfull?
Speedbiker Posted - 07/21/2012 : 21:10:27
Barbara has shocked the world with every attempt. What will she do this time?
Upright Mike Posted - 07/21/2012 : 20:43:12
Hi Stix,
Yes I see that same information just posted on TU-Delft's blog. This time at Dekra, competitors will be focusing on 6 hour and above attempts, so there will be no 1 hour (uur) attempt by TU Delft or other teams. As a fan of the one hour, I am dissapointed, but I also hope to see new records in the 6 hour, 12 hour, 24 hour!
stix Posted - 07/17/2012 : 20:37:33
evtl. means possibly

Here is a link that will take you to the drop limits site by Google Translate. It works pretty well on this site.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.droplimits.de%2F

Also at Dekra on the 29th and 30th of July I understand they are focusing on the 6hr and above events.

Stix

Larry Lem Posted - 07/17/2012 : 20:07:47
Does someone know what does evtl. stand for?

Larry Lem
Speedbiker Posted - 07/17/2012 : 19:26:28
Barbara going for the 24!!!!

www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000