www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 HPV Racing
 Ohio Recumbent Challenge, Aug 19th.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Speedbiker Posted - 02/09/2012 : 15:56:49
I have joined forces with the Colavita/Zipp Time Trial Series in Western Ohio to create a new racing opportunity. The opportunity is two fold. First is a special catagory for nonfaired recumbents to see who is the fastest in the land. This catagory will have it's own awards. Second is the chance for any recumbent, faired, trike, male or female, to compete in the regular time trial for the C/Z medalions. But, this is no ordinary "meet out in the country and get timed my a stopwatch" event. The race organizer(ex pro cyclist), Roger Bowersock was named as one of the top eight race promoters in the U.S. Besides having a beautiful course that circles a lake, there is a start booth, 1k, and finish arches, and tons of give aways. It is as close to doing a TdF time trial as you may ever gets. See more info on the www.recumbents.com calender at http://recumbents.com/wisil/racing2012/orchallenge.htm . Post questions here, or email me.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
warren Posted - 08/22/2012 : 10:59:13
Now you have an excuse to go to the bike show in Las Vegas, only a hop, skip, and another hop from Battle Mountain.
Larry Lem Posted - 08/22/2012 : 08:50:04
http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2011/08/garmin-brings-power-to-the-people-with-vector-.html#more

Hmmm, unveiled Aug 18, 2012.

Larry Lem
warren Posted - 08/22/2012 : 08:47:31
Larry, we were just talking about the magic power measuring pedals last night.

Garmin claims the vector pedals are available at "your local bike shop" for $1500. Has anybody seen them?

-Warren.
Larry Lem Posted - 08/22/2012 : 07:59:04
Don'tcha wish that everyone had those magical power-measuring pedals, cleats, hubs, or cranks? Think of all the data!
Someday, all will exist and be affordable.

Larry Lem
Speedbiker Posted - 08/22/2012 : 03:20:42
Handlebars and seatback, Warren! I don't think I am out pedalling to many people, but my body position is quite good. I will need a new bike to improve my bike and position. I'm not 56, yet. Still time to go faster.....
Upright Mike Posted - 08/22/2012 : 03:00:20
I updated the speeds above, using a final distance of 24.60 miles or 39.59 km as shown when I mapped the course on MapMyRide. This lowered our speeds somewhat!

This course was short of 40Km, but also appears to be about the exactly same distance as the Double Bong course (24.62 miles) in Kansasville, Wisconsin, so we can get a good comparison between the two courses. Sean did a 52:26 at the Double Bong a few years ago when he beat all the uprights. I did a 52:22 at Celina, so its very very close between us! Last year Tyger Johnson in his F40 beat Sean by less than a second at the Double Bong when then both did 52:42. Pro rider Jeff Otto did a 49:37 minute at the Double Bong last year, wow that's fast! http://www.ambikerace.com/2011/results/Double%20Bong%20results%202011[1].pdf
Upright Mike Posted - 08/21/2012 : 10:08:45
Warren's explanation is so simple, I just have to complicate it...

The course was well marked, and staffed with volunteers, sheriff deputies and pylons at the 90-degree turns. Except at one split in the roads through the park there were paint arrows and at 28 to 30 mph on a lowracer you couldn't quite see them especially as the road dropped and dipped a bit, then crested a small rise. (darn uprights had an advantage here as they could see further ahead and down!). I almost missed it as well until I looked up ahead and saw the corner people at the next corner past the split and aimed for them. I think I overheard before the start that they were going to be missing one volunteer at one point somewhere on the course, this was probably it.

Don, and I think John B, went the other way on this split and headed down the road into the parking lot area of the park. Don told me he did a Lance Armstrong and rode through the grass, then a ditch with water, then over a berm to get back to the main road. He saw Charlie go by on the main road on his lowracer during this time, so he aimed to try and catch him, realizing then that he was on the wrong road.

Race organizer Roger B's instructions to the crowd of racers before the start were quite clear..." If you end up on a four-lane major interstate highway, swimming in the lake, and/or don't have the lake on your Right-side the whole time around, you are OFF-COURSE!".
warren Posted - 08/21/2012 : 09:35:34
Missed the painted arrows and took a nice ride through the park.
Larry Lem Posted - 08/21/2012 : 07:52:52
Does "went off course", mean overcooked a turn, or missed a turn and had to double back?

Larry Lem
warren Posted - 08/21/2012 : 07:47:49
Well, I have to be happy with that speed! Also I am happy to see that the fastest roadie guy is 56, which means I can still go faster. Now I just need to find .5 MPH somewhere so I can catch up to Thom.

-Warren.
Upright Mike Posted - 08/20/2012 : 20:35:57
Results Overall (recumbents and uprights)
https://goodtimesraces.com/finaloverallforwebupdated.htm
Results Sorted by Classes
https://goodtimesraces.com/finalagegroupforweb.htm

IMPORTANT NOTE: On the event website, it says the course is 24.63 miles, but that when I zoomed in on the MapMyRide link, the course shows something going the wrong way at the finish. So I remapped it and came up with 24.60 miles (39.59 km), so not quite 40 km. I recomputed the speeds below based on this. Sorry, this dropped all our speeds some, compared to my earlier posting based on 40K (24.86 miles). For those that have rode the Double Bong TT in Wisconsin, that course too is also about 24.62 miles according to MapMyRide, so nearly exactly the same distance as Celina, and also just short of 40K. Sean's record of 52:26 on the Double Bong is nearly exactly the same as my 52:22 at Celina! I wish we could do the Double Bong this weekend, but we'll be working on bikes for Battle Mountain!

Times would have been faster at Celina if the wind hadn't picked up. When Thom and I rode the course a few weeks ago, conditions were perfect. Don told me conditions were better on Saturday as well when he was pre-riding the course. But that's what happens with any race, you can never know what conditions you're going to get on race-day!

Here's an updated results....
Speedbiker Posted - 08/20/2012 : 15:55:11
I keep wondering what the ladies at yesterday's race thought of Dora. I have first hand knowlege that some aren't comforable. Then they see Dora who is comfortable and competitive.i
Grasshopper Posted - 08/20/2012 : 07:40:55
A big thanks goes to Thom Ollinger for putting this together for us bent guys. It was a very well run event, A excellent scenic course, great prizes and really nice people.

I even had some of the stronger diamond frame cyclist passing my slow ass (weak link of the group) yelling words of encouragement.

On the other hand it was Dora's first TT and she had a ball. She was extremely nervous before the start but got her stuff together on the road and finished I believe in the top ten of the overall women. To her surprise they awarded her a first place medal and had her stand on the podium. As an added bonus she won a door prize of some of some Rudy Project swag. Most excellent!

Thom...If you decide to do this again next year we'll definitely be there.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Many thanks to everyone who made yesterday a great day of racing in Celina Ohio. Everyone from the promoters, Roger and Christina Bowersock, to photog John Foote, to the racers, the bent fans, andthe prize sponsor(Bentrideronline.com).

Speedbiker Posted - 08/20/2012 : 05:51:21
Many thanks to everyone who made yesterday a great day of racing in Celina Ohio. Everyone from the promoters, Roger and Christina Bowersock, to photog John Foote, to the racers, the bent fans, andthe prize sponsor(Bentrideronline.com).
Speedbiker Posted - 08/19/2012 : 21:21:10
Normally I feel like the giant on the podium. Not today! Bents made a great showing. Of course Chris Evans blasted everyone in his Quest. But, Mike was first nonfaired and I was fouth. I finally got in the 54s.Two very good DFs were in between us. Then, not far behind us were Dennis and Warren. Everyone did great, especially Dora. She placed very well in the womens class. It was an epic day.
warren Posted - 08/19/2012 : 18:07:00
I just noticed that the first through 4th place finishers above are ordered in speed according to height, shortest, fastest.
randy Posted - 08/19/2012 : 17:58:43
Thom's looking pretty young and has the best haircut. I didn't even recognize him.
warren Posted - 08/19/2012 : 16:52:16
Great race, thanks Thom!

The weather and course were very good, and the organization was supurb. John Burrell and Don Smith both went off course, or they would have had better times.

Mike came in first (and beat all the roadies with a time of 52.something. Thom came in second, Dennis third, and me fourth. I had a time of 56.18, and Dennis beat me by about 30 seconds. Chris Evans had the fastest time of the day in his Quest with the canopy. Mike wrote down the times, and he'll probably posts those along with the analysis soon. This was Dora's first TT and she won a first place medal in the recumbent class. Not bad.

Picture by Team Cortez

-Warren.
sean costin Posted - 08/18/2012 : 19:37:53
Good Luck guys. I think you know what I'll be doing tomorrow.
Upright Mike Posted - 08/18/2012 : 11:28:53
One more recumbent - Bob Palmer from Michigan will ride his Volae tomorrow - he'll be a day-of registration.
Upright Mike Posted - 08/18/2012 : 10:38:52
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Rudeness Warning: .. racers
This is what happens when there is money on the line!! Otherwise Thom is the nicest guy I know! Time to race for the big cash tomorrow!
Speedbiker Posted - 08/18/2012 : 08:40:11
Rudeness Warning: like most racers I begin my warmup on a stationary trainer 40 minutes before my race. From that point until after the race I won't be able to talk or answer questions. I expect it's the same for the other racers.
Speedbiker Posted - 08/18/2012 : 08:00:06
Not a problem, Chris.

Additional notes on Mike's map. The right turn between 12&13 is where I got held up by traffic in 2010. A sherrif did his best to clear traffic for me. The rumble strip Mike speaks of separates the road from the shoulder. I plan to stay on the road, but the strip has openings to access the shoulder if need be. The gravel is the result of gravel from driveways washing onto the road. Not a big deal, just keep your eyes open. When you turn onto hwy 127 at mile 22 STAY ON THE SHOULDER. This is where you will likely encounter the most traffic. 20 mph speed limit in the state park, ha ha ha. ABOVE ALL REMEMBER THAT THIS IS AN OPEN ROAD COURSE. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN AND BE CAREFULL. It looks like there might be a couple hundred entries. You won't be out there alone :-)
ckaudio Posted - 08/17/2012 : 20:59:03
You've got me listed at 9:14 on the nocom, but actually I plan on using the quest at 9:14 and the nocom at 10:49 It should be cooler after 9 in the morning than 10:49. The quest may get a little warm since I plan on running the visor as low as possible to maximize the speed.
Upright Mike Posted - 08/17/2012 : 19:56:35
Photos of course (back in February), looks even better now!
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/uprightmike/Celina%20Ohio%2040K%20Recumbent%20Challenge/

Map of the Course
- from what I remember driving and riding it twice with Thom

www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000