www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Velomobiles
 Velomobile 6

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
warren Posted - 04/07/2009 : 15:35:46
Rick Wianecki is building a velomobile. He made many foam models to decide what he wanted the body to look like.

He will be documenting his build on this site as things progress.

-Warren.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
warren Posted - 12/09/2014 : 12:31:49
mcmaster carr (mcmaster.com) has a wide selection.
robisuabe Posted - 12/09/2014 : 11:14:13
Halo Rick. I need some help with finding a place on the internet where I can purchase rod end for my homemade velomobile. Thanks.
rickmantoo Posted - 12/01/2013 : 12:01:45
Rob
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your question about rod ends. I mainly use 1/4" and 5/16 in rod ends. I use 3/8 rod or tubing with the 1/4" rod end and 1/2" with the 5/16 ends.
I get my rod ends at McMaster Carr.

Here is a picture of the 2 different type of ends I use.

By the way your project is shaping up very nicely!

Rick
robisuabe Posted - 09/14/2013 : 07:27:50
Hi Rick:
Rick would you please give me some information about the rod ends and tube size you used for the steering and where can I get them. I will appreciate your help. Thanks a lot for your replay.
robisuabe Posted - 09/11/2013 : 15:39:24
Hi rick:
I'm trying to send warren an email but somehow it isn't working. He wants to know whats the surface made on my velomobile, tell him it is fiberglass. Thank you.
rickmantoo Posted - 09/02/2013 : 08:34:48
45 + 50 = 95 pounds

Rick
robisuabe Posted - 08/31/2013 : 07:26:08
Hi rick:
I would like to know the total weight on your Velomobile.
rickmantoo Posted - 08/30/2013 : 15:51:09
Rob
Finished weight the body with all mounting and electrical is 45 pounds.
The frame with E-assist and battery is 50 pounds
So the total weight is 95 pounds.
I hope this helps

Rick
robisuabe Posted - 08/30/2013 : 07:59:58
Hi Rick:
I would like to know how havy is your Velomobile. Thank you.
beckieanne Posted - 05/23/2013 : 14:30:23
Rickmantoo
sorry for the long delay, i would very much like a copy of the patterns for the shell and any others that you think might be of help. my husband has decided to build two bikes( one for me, one for him)and he would like to make the shells out of carbon fiber.
thanks in advance
Beckie Ann
p.s: please let me know in wich way you would like to send me the files.(my e-mail... alizeea52@gmail.com)

Beckie Ann Weaver
rickmantoo Posted - 05/20/2013 : 08:52:09
Beckie

I do not have complete drawings for the trike chassis that is in the body shell. I have posted what I have throughout this thread.
I hope this helps.

Rick
beckieanne Posted - 05/19/2013 : 16:03:37
Rickmantoo
thank you for your response. are the patterns just for the body, or do they also include the bike it self?

Beckie Ann Weaver
rickmantoo Posted - 05/19/2013 : 14:21:00
Beckie
I do have full size patterns for the body. I do not have any detailed step-by-step plans to complete the entire project.

Rick

quote]Originally posted by beckieanne

This post has been a true inspiration. i was wondering if any plans were available?

Beckie Ann Weaver
[/quote]
beckieanne Posted - 05/17/2013 : 18:02:10
This post has been a true inspiration. i was wondering if any plans were available?

Beckie Ann Weaver
rickmantoo Posted - 01/21/2013 : 16:54:51
Well it has been some time since I posted so I thought I would show a couple of up grades to the velomoble. I never liked the fiberglass top I made it was too narrow and did not curve down far enough in the front. I tried making a top out of zote foam but that did not work out because the pattern I made was not the right shape. So I made another foam plug. This was the 4 th one so I am getting good at it. I cover the plug with 2 layers of cooking wrap instead of going through the process of waxing and mold release. I used a light spray of glue to hold things in place.

And then covered the plug with 2 layers of 5.8 oz. carbon fabric.

Once the epoxy cured I trimmed the carbon to the desired shape and added the lexan window and bent up some 3/4" aluminum stock for supports. Here is a picture comparing the new top to the original one I made. You can see the shape is a little wider, and has more of a curve to it.

From the side you can see the front curves down more.

I attached the top the same as the other one with velcro dots since I do not have to remove the top to enter the velo. I used some pop rivets to secure the front supports to the carbon top.

Here you can see the canopy stays attached when the top is opened.

Here is a picture of the canopy on the vehicle. It is working much better then the other tops I have made so far. I may try making another foam top in the future, maybe??

The other thing I did was make a neck rest out of zote foam that I had left over from the failed foam top. It is made to adjust it's position with a velcro strap. Here is the neck rest in the position that works for me right now.

There is a velcro strap that attaches to the back of the seat and allows for easy adjustability

Rick
rickmantoo Posted - 03/09/2012 : 10:08:52
Thanks Thom

Now I need to get out and Ride the thing. If it wasent for this work thing!!!

Rick
Speedbiker Posted - 03/09/2012 : 08:02:35
Nice flames, Rick. I can't think of a nicer, more complete home built velo.
rickmantoo Posted - 03/09/2012 : 06:24:25
Mr Soup

Thanks for the comments about my build. For me there is no magic program that creates this stuff. I am basically doing all my sections in 2D like one would do them on a drawing board only in the computer. I draw a top view and a side view of the object in question. I draw intermediate sections at major parting lines. I use basic orthographic projection techniques I learned in high school drafting class to draw each section by hand in the front view. I display several of the section I have already completed and see how the shapes flow together. I keep doing this until I have all the sections drawn. I may go back and revise the top and side views to match the sections if I discover something that needs adjusting. Once the sections are completed they could be exported to the NC cutters. There are programs out there that my do all this but this is how I combine the old school (drafting) with the computer stuff. This all takes time I spend 30-40 hours developing sections for one of these projects. But that is nothing compared to the time and effort it takes to build the project. Keep plugging away and post your progress.

Rick
rickmantoo Posted - 03/07/2012 : 17:29:29
Jimmy/Pete
I have been trying to form a 1/4 thick piece of zote foam over the top. I need to cover it with some fabric next and make some supports. WE will see how this works.

Rick
Jackrabbit Jimmy Posted - 03/06/2012 : 14:01:54
quote:
Originally posted by PoiterH

Maybe "Lypoxy" would work for the Flevo Roof?
Lypoxy = Stretch lycra over the mould and a suitable release layer. Wet out with epoxy resin and let dry.
It should hold the shape. Maybe some ribs in the mould would be good too?
Given me some ideas to try out anyway.
Pete

Speaking from personal experience, it will hold a shape until it gets heated by the sun then go limp. Having it light coloured would help somewhat but a layer of carbon or fibreglass on top of the lycra would do a lot to having it retain it's shape.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
PoiterH Posted - 03/06/2012 : 13:34:11
Maybe "Lypoxy" would work for the Flevo Roof?
Lypoxy = Stretch lycra over the mould and a suitable release layer. Wet out with epoxy resin and let dry.
It should hold the shape. Maybe some ribs in the mould would be good too?
Given me some ideas to try out anyway.
Pete
rickmantoo Posted - 03/05/2012 : 12:37:57
Warren

Yes I like it better than the orange around the wheel wells. (Must have been the fumes at the time.) I need to find some solvent free wax to protect the colors before I take it on the road.

Rick
warren Posted - 03/05/2012 : 08:05:34
I like that much better than the orange around the wheel wells!
rickmantoo Posted - 03/03/2012 : 16:21:45

Jason thanks for the comments the velomoble has been working great .I have not had it out much but spring is coming so I will be out with it more. There are a couple of this things I wanted to change or add. The top I built is a little narrow so I decided to start making a different one. I first laid out the sections on some 1/2 pink foam.

I them cut them out assembled the skeleton and started adding the strips of foam.

Here is a comparison between the first top mold I made on the right and the new wider one on the left.

I still need to cover the foam with some fiberglass and epoxy. I am going to try and form some zote foam over the new shape and see if I can get something to work. Otherwise I will make another fiberglass top.

The paint on the velo looks good but I wanted to add a little more so I ordered up some decals online. First I positioned the decal on the side.

I then transfered the decal to the body and then outlined it with some reflecting pin stripe tape. Took about 3 hours to get both sides done but it adds that something extra.

Here is a closer vier of the finished decal with pin striping.

So the project is getting close to being finished, but are they ever finished? I still need to make the front wheel covers and finish the new top.

Rick
jason1973tl Posted - 01/06/2012 : 18:11:03
Beautiful build. I love the paint scheme you used. I can't wait to see it until its done.

www.recumbents.com © 2009 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000